Playing DTS CDs on DV88+

hazard

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a strange one...

Today I was rummaging through some old CDs and came across two DTS CDs and threw one into my DV88+ for a quick play.

It doesn't play the way it should - i.e. the way it used to play with my previous DVD player and the one before that.

My AV amp, a Yamaha DSPA5, doesn't show "DTS Surround" - instead it shows "Pro Logic" (which usually means it is getting a stereo signal) and sure enough I get a muffled version of the CD, coming mainly from front and centre.

I tried adjusting the audio output settings on the DV88+, ie bitstream/PCM, 96k vs 48k - no change. Tried the other DTS CD and got the same Pro Logic output.

Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things I transferred the digital coax cable from DV88+ to my CD player, a CD72T, and played it there. This worked fine, the amp showing DTS and all channels present and correct.

BTW firmware versions are 3.0.0/LT76.

I guess I have two questions:

(1) has anyone else tried one of these CDs in a DV88+? Did it work?

(2) how come I am getting Pro Logic out of the DV88+? Surely the CD contains a DTS stream only and the player cannot decode it. I would expect the amp to see DTS, or nothing. Where is the stereo signal coming from? Very weird!

Thanks
Fergus

I have the DV88+ and DTS CD's play no problems. My Denon 3802 switches to DTS no problems. Does it switch OK on movies???

Yes, movies in DTS work fine, never had a problem there.

I don't suppose it's just the CDs I happen to have? They are Sting "Brand New Day" and Billie Myers "Growing Pains". Do you have either of these by any chance?

hazard, your in luck, I too have the Sting CD and it works fine. Not sure what else to try apart from taking it back to your Arcam dealer. My firmware is 4.0.0/LT75

Thanks Graham, at least now I know it should work.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom