• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question PLAYING DOLBY VISION FILMS VIA EXT USB 3.0 HDD ON LG 2017 SJ TV

marcd5123

Hi folks , I have a 2017 49SJ810V TV and like with everyone else that owns a 2017 LG TV onwards it fully supports HDR10 ,HLG & Dolby Vision .

Now I understand that my TV will play all DV content via Netflix and 1 title via Amazon Prime (lol)..

Is the TV only constricted to play DV content via Netflix and Amazon Prime and or ext Blu-Ray Player ??

I have alot of HDR10 films loaded on my ext Seagate 1TB USB 3 HDD and that plays back 100% no issues via connecting the HDD to the USB 3 socket without needing additional power (Host Powered) at the back of the TV . Will I be able to do the something if I were to load my ext HDD with DV content ???. :thumbsdow:blush::)

SeeMoreDigital

Long story short....

Currently it is not possible to back-up UHD Blu-ray disc movies with Dolby Vision HDR into the .MKV container, as the Dolby Vision meta-data is lost during the muxing process.

It's still early days when it comes to muxing/re-muxing Dolby Vision (and HDR10+) content into any container!

marcd5123

Long story short....

Currently it is not possible to back-up UHD Blu-ray disc movies with Dolby Vision HDR into the .MKV container, as the Dolby Vision meta-data is lost during the muxing process.

It's still early days when it comes to muxing/re-muxing Dolby Vision (and HDR10+) content into any container!

Hi #SeeMoreDigital I can always count on your help throughout AVForums !!! Thanks Buddy for the information . I had a feeling that may have been the case .

What a dam shame ...for now that is .Its not detrimental but would have been nice to do so .So the only way to playback any DV content externally for now is via a 4K DV compatible Blu-Ray Player via HDMI cable to the TV like the Sony Blu-Ray unit .:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom