Playing Dolby Atmos via USB

Chrissxuk

Novice Member
I have a Samsung series 8 UHD TV connected to a Denon AVR-X1600H receiver via ARC HDMI.

If I download a Dolby Atmos movie and save to a USB would I actually get Dolby Atmos if I played this movie from the USB inserted into the TVs USB slot?

Te23

Yes. Although iam sure your receivers display would also confirm the audio track.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Atmos will only work from onboard apps if it is in a Dolby Digital+ container, you will need to ensure the Dolby Digital+ soundtrack is selected, in addition you may need to pop into the TV sound options whilst the content playing and select DD+

I am not sure if your set supports EARC but for EARC capable sets Samsung do not allow lossless passthrough from onboard apps, only HDMI connected devices, if the movies carries a lossless soundtrack such as TRUEHD then it will not pass atmos.

Chrissxuk

Novice Member
I downloaded another movie to test. I know this is Dolby Atmos because I've played it on my laptop which has the Dolby Atmos drivers.

I didn't really understand this bit, "Atmos will only work from onboard apps if it is in a Dolby Digital+ container". I don't know how to tell if Atmos is in an DD+ container or how any app is relevant as all I was doing was plugging the USB into the TV USB slot and selecting it from source on the TV.

Anyway when I tested it I was unable to select DD+ it was greyed out and unavailable. My AV receiver only displayed DD on the front unlike when I connected my laptop then it shows Dolby Atmos.

Ultimately what I was trying to do was find an easy way to play Atmos from Kodi without having to use my laptop with cables across the floor. I have a Formuler Z8 but it appears that does not support Atmos. I have an Xbox that does support Atmos but it appears not for 3rd party apps like Kodi and Kodi for the Xbox doesn't even have the option to allow passthough.

It looks like if I want Atmos it's cables across the floor or just stick with what my Formuler Z8 offers,

Attachments

• 20210624_195900.jpg
    20210624_195900.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210624_200332.jpg
    20210624_200332.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 64

chopples

Distinguished Member
I didn't really understand this bit, "Atmos will only work from onboard apps if it is in a Dolby Digital+ container". I don't know how to tell if Atmos is in an DD+ container or how any app is relevant as all I was doing was plugging the USB into the TV USB slot and selecting it from source on the TV.

If you are playing it from a USB stick then you will be using the onboard media player, which is technically an onboard app. If DD+ is greyed out then it doesn't carry a lossy Atmos soundtrack.

You say your laptop displayed Atmos? are you sure you are not using the Dolby Atmos app on the windows store which can upmix any audio to Atmos even if it actually isn't?

any rips from a bluray disk release will only use lossless Atmos which will not work via the onboard app, I would wager that file isn't Atmos at all due to it being only 4gb in size, ripped from a bluray, and only 8bit sdr (whilst being 4k)

Demo files with a DD+ container should work as will movies with DD+ but movies like this are only available via streaming services such as Disney Netflix etc....

Chrissxuk

Novice Member
If you are playing it from a USB stick then you will be using the onboard media player, which is technically an onboard app. If DD+ is greyed out then it doesn't carry a lossy Atmos soundtrack.

You say your laptop displayed Atmos? are you sure you are not using the Dolby Atmos app on the windows store which can upmix any audio to Atmos even if it actually isn't?

any rips from a bluray disk release will only use lossless Atmos which will not work via the onboard app, I would wager that file isn't Atmos at all due to it being only 4gb in size, ripped from a bluray, and only 8bit sdr (whilst being 4k)

Demo files with a DD+ container should work as will movies with DD+ but movies like this are only available via streaming services such as Disney Netflix etc....
It's only 4gb because I only downloaded the start of the movie the full movie was about 80gb.

I installed the Atmos drivers on my laptop using this method and I'm sure it's playing Dolby Atmos. How to Enable or Install Dolby Atmos in Windows 10 For Free (Easy Steps)

Attachments

• 20210624_203724.jpg
    20210624_203724.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 63

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom