1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing CDs on a DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rjpreston, Nov 2, 2001.

1. rjpreston

rjpreston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to space constraints in the lounge (and a GF who hates the sight of black boxes!), I'm considering buying DVD player and using this to play both DVDs and CDs.

Do DVD players provide the same functionality as CD players, e.g. program play to listen only to certain tracks on a CD? If so, do they all provide this functionality or only certain models?

I'm considering spending £200-300 on the DVD.

Ta, Rob

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A DVD player can almost never be as good a CD player as a dedicated CD player of equal build and performance quality.

However, there are some DVD players that can stand up very well as CD players. The budget friendly Toshiba SD210E is a pretty good CD spinner. Quite a lot of the Pioneers are also. I've found through personal testing, that DVD players built by some of the top Hi-fi manufacturers such as Marantz and Nad can provide very good CD stereo playback. I have my Pioneer DVD player to play CD's through my AV Amp at the moment, while I save for a new CD player.

My only advice if you are to use your DVD player to play CDs would be to use an AMP. You say your girlfriend hates the sight of black boxes (as they always do) - I hope this doesn't include an Amp and a decent set of speakers. TV's just don't cut it when it comes to musical audio. You'll need the DVD player connected to an Amp by a digital connection to use the Amp's DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter, without meaning to insult your intelligence), because I don't think DAC's on DVD players perform as well as those in CD players, and certainly not as well as external DAC's. DVD players usually have the option to program in numbers of scenes on DVDs, and this function works for the tracks on any CD you play also.

But to be honest, if you are thinking of playing CD's through the TV's speakers and not through an external Amp I wouldn't bother.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Of course you would not need an AV amp as you can also hook up the DVD player to a stereo amp using analog (RCA/phono) connection.
    Basic features and functions like a CDP are usually available but some might lack things like "Random" and the like, so check carefully.

As for not liking big black boxes: how about gold/champagne color? :D

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, no, not necessarily an AV amp. Although an AV amp would allow for development more if the bug bites, and an AV amp is one less box than a stereo amp and an AV processor.

Whatever. Just don't rely on TV speakers.

Alternatively, as I always recommend - dump the girlfriend.

5. rjpreston

rjpreston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Guys, for the advise & recommendations (esp regarding the GF!!)

I think I'll have to go and have a play in the shops to choose a model.

Rob