1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing CD's is Important To Me.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by synnag, Apr 27, 2001.

1. synnag

synnag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help me as I am fairly new to all this and after looking at the HCC Buyers Guide I am more confused than ever.

I have fairly limited space and limited finances. I do not really want to buy a dedicated CD Player. Has anyone got a suggestion re. a decent DVD Player that would double-up for me? About £500-£600 to spend. My anticipated system will consist of the Denon 3801 & Mission Cinema 7.

Thanks in advance.

[ 27-04-2001: Message edited by: synnag ]

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Audition the Pioneer 737. It's in your price range and is an excellent CD player. It also has progressive scan for NTSC video and can be obtained in many places, chipped to play all regions, including RCE. If, like me, you prefer to buy from a shop - look for Sevenoaks Sound and Vision - they almost certainly have a store not far from you.

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My Sony 725 got rave reviews for playing CD's and does sound great.

Whether it can still be found at a Richer Sounds near you I don't know.

4. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Techtronics have just started selling the Pioneer 939A for £679 Ex Vat. I know its more expensive than you can afford, but only a bit and its got DVD Audio.

I'm hoping this machine forces Toshiba to lower the price on their 900E. If it was selling at the same price of the Pioneer 939A i would buy one. :D

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    AFAIK, the main (only?) difference between the Pioneer 939 and 737 is the presence of on-board decoders in the 939. In which case, if you already have (or intend to buy) a DD amp or receiver, the extra cost of te 939 is unwarranted.

Unless of course someone knows of another difference.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    DVD-A(udio) is the (main) difference, the decoder output must be present for multichannel DVD-A recordings which makes it IMHO easy to output a decoded DD/DTS from there, too.

(DD/DTS decoder are built into every DVD player there is to provide downmix function, some are just missing the connectors on the back for the analog 5.1 signals.)