1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing CD's in 5.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pm_alexander, Jan 11, 2003.

1. pm_alexander

pm_alexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The equipment I have is a Marantz SR4200 AV Receiver, and a Marantz CC4300 5 disc CD multiplayer. I have linked the 2 together with a COAXIAL cable, and I was wondering if it possible to hear the music being played out of all of my ELAC home cinema speakers. All I currently get is sound out of the left and right speaker and the Sub Woofer kicks out the bass. Does anyone know of a way to get the center speaker and Left and Right Surround speakers to work as well?

Is this at all possible, I thought it would work using the Digital Coax cable into the AV Receiver. Any feedback would be most welcome.

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to enable Dolby Pro Logic on your receiver. Bare in mind though that very few (if any) CD's are encoded in surround sound, so your Reciever is making a guess as to wear sounds should be placed but often ends up sending it out all though the centre speaker so your music CD's sound mono. Just stick to stereo.

If you want true 5.1 position audio for music then get a SACD or DVD-A player.

3. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Marantz and quite like to listen to music in Dolby Prologic II, the amp makes quite a good job of it. There is also a 5.1 stereo setting which outputs the sound to all speakers quite equally, I don't personally like it but some people do.

My fav way is either 2ch stereo, direct or DPII but try all the differen't settings and even the DSP modes and I'm sure you will find one that suits you.

See the thread Stereo setting on Marantz where huggy is discussing the very same thing. I did try to put a link to it but the dam thing isn't working right.

4. pm_alexander

pm_alexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments, I have not tried playing around with changing it to PROII, etc, etc. I shall have a play and see what gets outputted from the Speakers.