Playing Blu ray files from External HD

Bigadz

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have an external HD where I would store my Blu ray films and other High Def Material which would be plugged into the PS3. WD Mybook 320GB

How do I get the PS3 to play these files in all their glory, or is this not possible?

Thanks guys,

I may have got the wrong end of the stick from reading, but yes they will be mainly mkv files. So if they are split into 4Gb chunks does it mean that I have to manually play each chunk of the film or will it recognise a folder and have a queu file type arrangement?

The files will originally be 720 and 1080p format. My TV is 1080 so will the PS3 be able to upscale in this way?

In the PS3 XMB settings there is an option for "Sequential Playback" turn this on and the PS3 will automatically playback the next chunk of the video (obviously you need to make sure the naming of the chunks is done so that they appear in the correct order).

The jump from one chunk to the next is pretty seamless and is usually just a split second pause much like a dual layer DVD.

Upscaling of external storage and streamed movies used to be pretty basic but mid way through 2008 Sony pushed out a change with a firmware update to allow the PS3 to use the same algorithm as it does when upscaling DVD's.

Is playback actually seamless though when you do that ? I'm not sure if it is, or if you experience just a slight "jump" when it moves to another file.

If you use AVCHD output then it will be seamless, and you'll get 24fps playback if your TV supports it, which is currently impossible to achieve via any other method of file playback. But then, of course, you'll have to transcode every file (unless you like the picture re-positioned at the top of the screen), which may, or may not, be an issue for you.

In the PS3 XMB settings there is an option for "Sequential Playback" turn this on and the PS3 will automatically playback the next chunk of the video (obviously you need to make sure the naming of the chunks is done so that they appear in the correct order).

The jump from one chunk to the next is pretty seamless and is usually just a split second pause much like a dual layer DVD.

Upscaling of external storage and streamed movies used to be pretty basic but mid way through 2008 Sony pushed out a change with a firmware update to allow the PS3 to use the same algorithm as it does when upscaling DVD's.

Thats very good info, thanks,

So contrary to what I thought, you can convert full 720/1080p dvd's from mkv to vob, have them play in order and have it upscale in the case of 720p (or DVD) files into a 1080p format, in the best quality possible?

Will it be satisfactory to run these files from my external HD through the PS3, or do I have to copy the vob files onto the internal HD of the PS3?

Running from an external USB HDD is fine, a nice method personally for me as i get 24fps playback which I think makes a difference when implemented on my TV (especially for fast-panning shots or action scenes).

Yes, running the mkv through mkv2vob will do one of two things :
1. It'll just change the header of the mkv file so that it comes out as a playable mpg (or whatever file extension you've chosen), whilst patching the sound (if DTS) to trick the PS3 into playing back DTS sound (as you can't get DTS playback via a file, without this trick), or you can have it convert the DTS to AC3.
2. If it needs to, mkv2vob will set about actually transcoding the file. This can be due to a number of issues in the source mkv itself. If it's a 1080p mkv, then dependent on your pc spec (and depending on the codec you use, x264 being the best but the slowest), this may take a number of hours to do - this VERY rarely happens with a 720p mkv, but is more frequent (30-50%) on 1080p mkv's.

Is playback actually seamless though when you do that ? I'm not sure if it is, or if you experience just a slight "jump" when it moves to another file.

Yes there is a slight jump/pause but it is very slight and in most cases unless you are expecting it then it's is barely noticable. If I'm watching a movie with the other half she doesn't even pass comment when it changes files (if you new her you'd know that's unusual :D)

As i said similar to a layer change on a DL DVD

Thats very good info, thanks,

So contrary to what I thought, you can convert full 720/1080p dvd's from mkv to vob, have them play in order and have it upscale in the case of 720p (or DVD) files into a 1080p format, in the best quality possible?

Will it be satisfactory to run these files from my external HD through the PS3, or do I have to copy the vob files onto the internal HD of the PS3?

Your assumptions above are correct :smashin: and yes USB HDD transfer speed is plenty fast enough for this.

bare in mind that most 720p MKV's will only need a quick 5 minute remux of the audio stream and container change with MKV2VOB to make them playable on the PS3 but 1080p MKV's will quite often neeed a FULL re-encode taking several hours on an average spec PC.

Also have a good read up on all the options in MKV2VOB before you start converting movies; particularly in respect of the audio stream options. Many of the Audio options (DTS, PCM etc..) are only applicable if you are playing back through the PS3 connected via a HDMI AV Receiver and if you select the wrong ones you will end up with movies with no audio or just "White Noise".

Have to say it as it's my preferred method but..................... consider streaming as well; it's a good alternative to USB playback if 24fps playback isn't important to you.

A good wireless connection will be sufficient for streaming SD movies and with homeplugs or a wired connection you could stream your HD material as well.

Last edited:
So to summarise, everything you want to do is possible, you just need to make some choices as to a) which method of conversion/transcode you want and b) if your current audio/visual setup can benefit from a change in any of the settings...

The dynamic duo strike again eh Uridium :hiya:

Running from an external USB HDD is fine, a nice method personally for me as i get 24fps playback which I think makes a difference when implemented on my TV (especially for fast-panning shots or action scenes).

Yes, running the mkv through mkv2vob will do one of two things :
1. It'll just change the header of the mkv file so that it comes out as a playable mpg (or whatever file extension you've chosen), whilst patching the sound (if DTS) to trick the PS3 into playing back DTS sound (as you can't get DTS playback via a file, without this trick), or you can have it convert the DTS to AC3.
2. If it needs to, mkv2vob will set about actually transcoding the file. This can be due to a number of issues in the source mkv itself. If it's a 1080p mkv, then dependent on your pc spec (and depending on the codec you use, x264 being the best but the slowest), this may take a number of hours to do - this VERY rarely happens with a 720p mkv, but is more frequent (30-50%) on 1080p mkv's.

I get what you are saying there in some ways I think (forgive my ignorance).
My PC is pretty good spec, cant remember off the top of my head but is a Duo Core with 2GB RAM.

I am just trying to work out whether a PS3 is the way to go, if the mkv to vob conversion is quite easy and quality isnt compromised then this is what I am looking for. My TV is new and latest spec P42G10 so it does support 24fps so whatever I do I want to get the most out of it.

I dont really understand the whole transcoding thing, does this remove the potential sequence 'judder'.Will playing through my external 'WD Mybook' change this characteristic at all? I guess on a full Bluray movie this judder will only happen a few times?

To add... as you replied while I was typing....

Well My TV is top spec but my audio is a non HDMI supported amp (Teac 500 series) acting as my surround system. I guess therefore I will have to be careful with the audio conversion settings?

So that I guage how much of a problem the 'judder' will be, what is the average size for a 720p film and a 1080p film? Is a 40GB PS3 sufficient as I am getting everything from an external source? The 40Gb is quieter as well?

Thanks again, you both have answered my questions:)

Last edited:
Just to confuse you even more if you stream the MKV's using PS3 Media Server it will do the transcoding on the fly so you don't even need to do the conversion before hand ;)

I get what you are saying there in some ways I think (forgive my ignorance).

My PC is pretty good spec, cant remember off the top of my head but is a Duo Core with 2GB RAM.

I am just trying to work out whether a PS3 is the way to go, if the mkv to vob conversion is quite easy and quality isnt compromised then this is what I am looking for. My TV is new and latest spec P42G10 so it does support 24fps so whatever I do I want to get the most out of it.

What other devices are you considering?

Last edited:
So to summarise, everything you want to do is possible, you just need to make some choices as to a) which method of conversion/transcode you want and b) if your current audio/visual setup can benefit from a change in any of the settings...

The dynamic duo strike again eh Uridium :hiya:

Indeed mate. we must do something about that Sticky FAQ soon.

Transcoding is nothing to do with judder i don't think. 24fps is to more linked with that.

Transcoding happens because of a number of reasons, mainly due to the original mkv not being in the correct "profile". You can read up, if you want, on what these reasons are in more detail.

However, if you truly want THE best quality possible, the IMO you'd follow something like i do :

Get the best quality 1080p mkv there is.
Transcode using AVCHD - USB more with the x264 HQ codec (this usually takes around 5-6 hours on my quad-core 6GB Ram machine).
Transfer resultant "AVCHD" folder to USB HDD
Playback, in full DTS, with 24fps enabled on my TV.

I don't watch a great deal of things, so to me, this little bit of effort is justified.

If you can't be bothered with any of that you could pay around ÂŁ70 for a WDTV which will play the original mkv back without you doing anything...

Just to confuse you even more if you stream the MKV's using PS3 Media Server it will do the transcoding on the fly so you don't even need to do the conversion before hand ;)

What other devices are you considering?

The other device I was looking at was the Western Digital High Def Multimedia Adaptor. Obviously this is cheaper and runs mkv files but does have limitations.

I like the idea of an all in one solution and the PS3 would give me - a physical blu ray drive, dts output (for the future), network streaming (wireless music streaming for now). My only concern was the ability to play mkv files without loss of quality and upscaling 720 onto my 1080 screen. As you have cleared this up I cant see many reasons not to go ahead with it. Hopefully the 40Gb will do me fine?

Transcoding is nothing to do with judder i don't think. 24fps is to more linked with that.

Transcoding happens because of a number of reasons, mainly due to the original mkv not being in the correct "profile". You can read up, if you want, on what these reasons are in more detail.

However, if you truly want THE best quality possible, the IMO you'd follow something like i do :

Get the best quality 1080p mkv there is.
Transcode using AVCHD - USB more with the x264 HQ codec (this usually takes around 5-6 hours on my quad-core 6GB Ram machine).
Transfer resultant "AVCHD" folder to USB HDD
Playback, in full DTS, with 24fps enabled on my TV.

I don't watch a great deal of things, so to me, this little bit of effort is justified.

If you can't be bothered with any of that you could pay around ÂŁ70 for a WDTV which will play the original mkv back without you doing anything...

Yeah I mean its a difficult call, I mean your beast computer takes 5-6 hours to do that then mine is going to take a lot longer :suicide: :D

On the other hand you say most 720p doesnt take that long to convert so as long as I am only doing a couple of 1080p transcodings every month then I think I could live with that. I could always get a WDTV as well if needs be

PS3 HDD size has nothing to do with it to be honest, any one will do as long as it has enough USB slots for you.

I think we're talking about the same thing ? The WDTV ? The little black box ? I don't think it has any limitations, it'll do exactly what the PS3 does, just without the transcoding step, but of course doesn't have any of the other features...

If you're willing to make the effort in getting things setup or a consistent conversion method in place, using a PS3 certainly reaps it's rewards...

You guys are swinging me here :smashin:, I am talking about the little black box yes but if 720p only takes minutes to convert then I think that will do me just fine.
For 1080p I can just leave the thing running to transcode and if not I will just run a physical disc!

720p Blu-rays are about 6GB tops so you will only get 1 changover judder?

What are the differences in noise between models of PS3, does the 40GB have enough ports?

You guys are swinging me here :smashin:, I am talking about the little black box yes but if 720p only takes minutes to convert then I think that will do me just fine.
For 1080p I can just leave the thing running to transcode and if not I will just run a physical disc!

720p Blu-rays are about 6GB tops so you will only get 1 changover judder?

What are the differences in noise between models of PS3, does the 40GB have enough ports?

That's mine and Axum's job ;-)

The only model you can buy now is the 80Gb. It has 2x USB ports. It's pretty much the same as the 40Gb but some people report it's very slightly quieter.

I have a 40Gb and mine barely makes a peep. My SkyHD box is louder to be honest.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom