Playing back recorded programmes - No satelite signal being received

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Only777, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    1 week in, and I'm on my second sky+ box. :-(

The problem I have is that sometimes I can't play back recorded programmes unless I reset by unplugging the box. After about 5 seconds of playback it stops and a message comes up saying "No satelite signal being received" . The new box hasn't solved the problem and I'm wondering what else can be done. The only thing that I've noticed is that the problem starts after the Input 1 transport stream changes in the services menu. When it's on 07d4 it works fine, but often this changes to completely different numbers and playback doesn't work.

Is it the box, or more likely the LNB losing signal.

Has anybody else had this, and how did it get resolved?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I hope the second SKY+ box was a brand new boxed unit.
    SKY+ requires a live feed from the satellite to authorise the decoder/smartcard to access the encryted programming on the HD, if there is no signal then the box can not decrypt the program for you to watch.

If they only swapped the SKY+ then it may be a dish alignment problem or LNB positioning, the fact that it locks onto a different stream indicates there is something seriously wrong with the installation.

3. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    It was a refurb... but it's a Pace. So that was one of the reasons I accepted a refurb, the second being to see if it fixed the problem.

The engineer was happy that the dish and LNB were ok based on the fact that I got a signal. But I'll probably phone sky tonight and get the engineer back out. I know that they will suggest a third box, and I know it will be a new Amstrad box that a) probably won't fix the problem and b) makes a horrible whining noise like the 1st Amstrad box I had.

Should the Input stream always be 07d4? what does this mean anyways?

I'm just hoping that somebody on here says, yes I had that problem and can give me their solution.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You accepted a potentially two year old refurb to replace a brand new model?
    Hmmm, ok your choice I suppose:)

Of course the installer was happy, less work for him, even a bad install can get a signal but there are degrees of reception and anything less than optimal is of no use long term as you are finding out.
    A new Amstrad may fix the problem especially if it's a dodgy dish/lnb installation and not a tuner module fault and the "whirring" noise could have been a bad HD or fan both of which can happen to any model.

The stream should be 07d4, exactly what it means I do not know but it is the ID for the satellite/transponder that SKY hardware should be locked on too.

5. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Sky are coming back out with a new box this weekend, the final straw was a complete shutdown during the matrix tonight :mad:

One thing that surprised me was the size of the sky+ LNB, it's massive. Is there a website with pictures of LNB's as I can't remember seeing a dish with an LNB of this size. They probably fitted an old LNB too...

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well it is a Quad LNB, got to be bigger than a single LNB :)

The Brymar website has a few pictures of dish/lnb combos, not sure how much use they will be though.

7. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I'm just getting paranoid I think, satelite envy i think they call it ;)