Playing avi through network problems

GCDB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Didnt want to hyjack the other thread but when i try to play avi files from another computer (xp pro) through the xbox smb share some work sometimes and others just freeze my xbox up completely without starting. The files play from another pc using the xp pro computer share and also the films work if i load them onto the xbox hard drive. So im stuck what to try next.
Any ideas please...
Gav
Also tried deleting the cache in file manager and also what i can delete in X,Y,Z areas as well.
Thanks

Might have a bad install. Try copying xbmc again but save your usedata if you already have scraped info for lots of things or you will have to scrape again.

Maybe but it used to work, and now it doesnt as if something has been corrupted. Not really brave enough to update to a new build as never done it and cant back up what ive got on the 80 gb hard drive. it sometimes comes up avi file detected and freezes or just freezes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gav

it's not your netwrk causing the problems is it? are the files too large to stream across your network?

My wireless sometimes struggles with streaming video files so I now use a USB stick.
Have you tried copying the AVI to the Xbox hard drive and played it from there ? If that works then it seems to be a network issue.

Hi,
No files are 700mb ish.... and files seem to play ok by ftp movie onto the 80 gb hard drive, but when i play across network(wired not wireless as have a 30m cat 5 cable to router) the xbox freezes up. I can play a movie from my laptop to my desktop ok though which brings me back to xbox...
Also ok ftp ing to the xbox using flash its just movie playing and more specifically avi's as vob files work ok.
Thanks Gav

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom