Playing AVI Files On The PS3

tails007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I have this file
"24.S06E12.HDTV.XviD-XOR.avi"

which when i press "get info" on my mac it says it is an avi movie.. Will this play off of my ps3 hard drive?

I have tried it as divx x on my dvd player but the picture and sound lose sync either half way through or at the start..

I suspect the file in question is an illegally obtained copy of an episode of '24', the reason its going out of sync is cos the person who originally ripped this did a **** poor job of it.....unsure as to whether the ps3 plays avi but if it does fair play to sony.

AVI is a container format... PS3 will play it but it's what's inside that counts - in this case it looks like xvid.. which the PS3 won't play.

actually the 'person' who ripped it didn't do a poor job of it, it plays fine :smashin:

it'll be the dvd player that is slightly poor at xvid / mp3 decoding that made it lose synch

the ps3 does not natively support xvid, altho reports suggest Linux + VLC media player is the way forward

Google for a piece of software called RedKawa and use it to convert video files to (480p) MPEG4 - ps3 plays these no problem at.

Tails007 wasn't I racing you, amoungst other folk, on motorstorm last night ? :D :hiya:

well the forums obviously do; as far as I am aware you are not supposed to discuss illegal software on here.

That's right, I do care so please continue the discussion on legally obtained AVI files becuse if it comes to my attention that the files may be illegal and you are discussing how to play them, I'll delete the thread.

Cheers.

Tails007 wasn't I racing you, amoungst other folk, on motorstorm last night ? :D :hiya:

no couldnt have been me sorry, only have rfom.. add me tho f you have that!

Google for a piece of software called RedKawa and use it to convert video files to (480p) MPEG4 - ps3 plays these no problem at.

thanks.. can i ask why 480p and not a higher res??

thanks

I've been using this software as well and can confirm that you can choose to convert a file to 720p as well as 480p. It just takes longer to convert and takes up a lot more space.

and judging by the filename, (and according to gspot), the frame size is only 608x336 to begin with. there's no point re-encoding to anything above 480p coz you've only got 336 to start with :smashin:

Want to watch a film which is .avi.

But the problem is as PS3 won't read this file is there any other way in which I can watch this, any good streaming programmes?

I have tried using MyOrb but thats no use.

Pllllease help thought I would watch it tonight lol..

Or you could install YDL and VLC, that is how I watch Divx/XviD files on my PS3.

Hi

Used the PS3 software. I could have used VLC but guess I would need Linux on it first?

Worked a treat!

Thanks for it!!!!! ur a legend lol

and thanks for all ur replies

Yes you install YDL then VLC, saves having to convert everything you want to watch as you can just slap in a DVDr full of Divx/XviD files and they will play no problem.

Whats YDL and VLC??:confused:

YDL is Yellow Dog Linux a flavour of Linux basically. This can be installed on the PS3 essentially allowing you to use it as a regular computer to a certain extent.

VLC is a media player like Quicktime, Real Player or Windows Media Player but more versatile.

Whats YDL and VLC??:confused:

YDL it is linux by yellow dog

VLC is videolans program to play any file under the sun, its also a very stable streaming server

:smashin:

just a point for video 9.

1080p MPEG 2 converts the fastest and at good quality:clap:

do i need to convert the files to something else or will it play the avi file hope someone can help many thanks

Natively - no, you'd have to convert them to an MP4 if you wanted to play them locally. However, with yesterdays Firmware upgrade to 1.80 you can stream an AVI to the ps3 and watch it over the network. I used Nero Media Home which unlike other media servers actually does a live conversion to MP4 of the AVI stream (best way I can explain it with my limioted technical knowledge). Either way it worked although I think I would be better off hard-wiring the router to the ps3 rather than wi-fi streaming. Great new feature, but if you've got time to batch convert your files over night - having .mp4's on a hard disc is much more reliable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom