Playing AVI \ DiVX files on 360

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible without using MCE to play DiVX and AVI files that are stored on a PC without MCE

Yes.

But only if you convert them to DVD. :(

Ok cheers

Have MCE so not big problem for me - just have few friends asking

Seems a missed opportunity - that or a way of trying to get people to spend £70 on an OS they do not really need

Or you can just download Transcode360 which is free and does pretty much the same thing.

Indiana Jones said:
Or you can just download Transcode360 which is free and does pretty much the same thing.
but you get a network cable with it!!

:rotfl:

im actually installing windows MCE on my pc this week... and wanted to know how to watch avi divx files on my xbox 360. didnt know wether to bother with the extender kit really, so might just get the 360 transcode option, and its free...

Vaporand, I built a new machine last week for MCE and transcode was so easy to setup, it was simply a matter of installing it. Once you've got MCE and the 360 connected, you go to the divx/avi etc etc video you want to watch, go to the more option and choose transcode.

Would this work with a decent laptop ? I dont fancy installing media centre on my main P.C but might do on my laptop. Is it easy to setup and whats the quality like ?

It will work fine on a "decent" laptop ..its more dependant on a good network connection than processing power

Hard wired = best

Wireless 802.11A = good

wirless 802.11G = average

It basically XP with media Centre on it

Mmmmm so wireless is out then. Arse why did they have to make media connection such a ballache :rolleyes:

Its just a bit pointless connecting a laptop via ethernet, I can do it but Would have to get another router or switch to make it neat and it all becomes a bit too much hastle.

I guess I will end up doing it :rolleyes:

VLC360 is another one to try but I find Transcode360 works best for my set-up.

Saying that, the PC and 360 are in the same room and run on the same TV so I just use the PC for all my divx / xvid stuff.

whhoa ..I'm not saying discount wirless completly ..for AVi/ DIVX it should be fine ..I was just pointing out the best way to connect in order ..of connection speed/ quality ..I stream a lot of .ts files @13mbs + per sec and need a fast connection but a 1000 -2000kbs divx "should" be ok :thumbsup:

did anybody try the vista(mce), looked really good, but i could never get it to show my video files.
really did my head in, especially as i have have the new series of my name is earl, jericho and heroes to watch !
Also LOST in 5 days !

Anyone tried installing over xp to xp media edition I sense it will be a really bad Idea, but would be the ideal solution as its already setup and connected to the 360.

Why cant MS offer an upgrade pack from XP to media centre :mad:

There is an unoffcial upgrade that works perfectly if you look in the right places ;)

Hi chaps, any ideas on how you get the 360 to watch dvds from the pc, via MCE etc, I have ripped a number of dvds to the hdd for watching around the house etc, but I get the following error "file format not supported from a remote desktop" or something similar.

Thanks in advance

Taz

up we go, Anyone usin MCE for dvds from PC to 360 ?

Thanks

Taz

Do any of these streaming-to-360 apps that you're talking about work on a mac?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom