1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing a video from a Tiny Laptop to TV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bigtired, Jul 15, 2005.

1. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hopefully I am in the right forum.

I bought a Tiny laptop last christmas - can't remember the name but it was £800 and has the Athlon 64 chip in it. It has a video out (4 pins in a row and then 3 pins underneath). I have tried connecting it via component to my Sony TV but get no picture. I have used the Function and F11 keys on the laptop which in theory kills the picture on the laptop and sends the signal to the TV. Laptop picture disappears but nothing on the TV. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Help would be reslly appreciasted.

Thanks

Justin

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    That connection you describe sounds like s-video, do you have a s-video in on your tv?

3. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi lisag,

my tv has s video - I bought an s video to s video lead and then found it would not fit the laptop. So I used the lead Tiny gave me that fitted the plug on the laptop (7 pin - 4 in a line then 3 in a line underneath) with the other end a female plug. I then got a male to male lead and connected it to the component plu in the tv - nothing! Is the answer that I need a lead that is male to s video plug?

By the way - why is the plug in the laptop not configured like normal s video i.e. 4 pins - 2 at 10 and 2 at 2 if you were looking at a clock? What sort of connection is it?

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Hmmm, I had a graphics card like that once - a funny dongle thing that converts the non-standard socket to normal s-video.... I think basically you should still go s-video to s-video that should deffo work - not sure that s-video to component will work.... never tried it myself though.

5. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi lisag,

is the crucial question that you can only connect laptops via s-vhs - if it is then I know the way forwards.

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Well, it depends what type of connection your display device has.... the laptop is the same as a PC so can use VGA or DVI if available, there is also the VGA to RGB scart option, and some graphics cards have component dongles. The problem with a laptop is that you cannot upgrade the graphics card so you are stuck with what you have - I imagine that s-vhs is going to be the easiest option, but if you check with Tiny (how is their support these days??) there may be a better option.

lisa