Playing 5.1 audio (AC3) only - without TV

MattEdg

Novice Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I can seek some advice - I'm putting together a sound piece for an exhibition to be played through a 5.1 surround system. I've got a Yamaha YHT1840 5.1 speaker system and was wondering if theres a way to play a 5.1 AC3 file directly into the AV receiver (via a small media player / raspberry pi / mp3 player?) without having to use HDMI via a screen.

I have successfully played 5.1 passthrough on this system with brightsign players for another project, but that was utilising HDMI into the TV. For this project I am looking to play audio only - no screen available.

Thanks very much

Cant say for the Yamaha but have certainly run a Onkyo with no screen attached and it was fine. With our current Arcam and its two outputs (TV and Projector) I don't get the scenario of having no screen at all attached (with the Onkyo it was after unplugging the projector but having not got round to plugging in the TV) but certainly it works fine with both screens turned off

Have you not tried to see what happens?

I've also used an AVR with no TV for audio only in the past so it may work.

another alternative if you have problems with that would be to use a device with an optical ouput. If I remember the acronyns correctly you're talking about compressed Dolby Digital audio which can be send via optical (or coax)

I've also used an AVR with no TV for audio only in the past so it may work.

another alternative if you have problems with that would be to use a device with an optical ouput. If I remember the acronyns correctly you're talking about compressed Dolby Digital audio which can be send via optical (or coax)
Thanks, going with your option of a small media player with a n optical output and playing directly via coax.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom