1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Players with best XviD support

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AlecF, Feb 18, 2005.

1. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again all,

Just out of interest, which players currently have the best XviD (NOT DivX) support?
    If you have any experience of such a player, please also comment on its analogue video quality and general build quality. TIA :thumbsup:

2. sambobo

sambobo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have a pioneer 575 and divx/xvid looks very ace on it. in fact episodes of 24 have almost been up to dvd standard! before that i had a yamada 6600, which wasnt bad either, but the overall quality of the player wasnt as good. both have a very high combatability rate, although any player you buy will probably only work with about 80% of the stuff you want to play.

the tosh 340 is supposed to be good two, so i would recomment hte tosh or the pioneer

3. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    THe pioneer 575 is a bit dodgy with Xvid. In so much as you have to run an xvid file through mpeg4modifier and remove the packed bitstream. If you dont, it jumps all over the place. Otherwise its fine.
    To be honest the best I've seen with Xvid is the Kiss players. They dont do Qpel encoded though, but nothing much really does.

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    How is the 575 dodgy with Xvids ? All mediatek based dvd players can't do packed bitsteam. However the mediatek is overall a better spec than the ESS and Sigma players available.

The mediatek can do QPEL, it can't do 3 warp QPEL but nothing can.

Over the next few months Sigma have a higher spec chip which can do HD, WMV9 etc but it still can't do QPEL 3 warp.

Some of the latest Meditatek can do packed bitsteam so perhaps firmware updates will be coming soon for Pioneer, Philips etc so u don't have to unpack. Unpacking is a very quick and painless process so not really a big deal.

Kiss are Sigma based players that are a little long in the tooth now.

You can buy Pioneer, Philips,Toshiba, Samsung, Yamada, Kiss, H&B, LG etc etc inside they are all the same chips for if they are divx / xvid (same difference). Sigma, Mediatek, ESS or Zoran.

PS the Toshiba if you search this forum is very fussy about what media you use.

As of today in the UK the Pioneer 470 / 575 is the best overall. However it is not perfect. In a couple of months time new higher spec players will be available. Repeat for a few months after etc

5. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree, apart from having to unpack a few things my 575 has been excellent with everything I've thrown at it so far.

6. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I dont disagee that the 575 is a higher spec than the kiss players, nor that it is the best overall product. The question was related to which played Xvid best. The 575 does not play packed bitstream, which is the default for xvid. Thus every xvid file I've ever downloaded has packed bitstream and these files dont play properly in the 575. They need to be modified first. Agreed its easy and does not take long, less that five minutes to do, but it still needs to be done on the 575. It doesnt on the kiss. A lot of users have no idea what is meant by packed bitstream or know about mpeg4modifier and for them, the 575 does not play Xvid.

Therfore I stand by the kiss as a better bet for Xvid files. Saying that, I have a sony DVPNS955 as my main player and it wont play Xivd at all only Divx. The pioneer 575 in the bedroom gets roped in for those and my kiss player got given to my sister!

7. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Fair enough. Given some mediatek players can now do packed bitstream don't be surprised to see updates that fix this.

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I have bought a Kiss 1000 and it has locked up on a few discs.

They have Xvid and divx files on and are dvd-r (mawell x8) with around 6-12 videos on them. I am thinking of returning this unit and getting something else or am I doing something wrong?

Help would be appreciated

9. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Samsung HD945 dvd player and i haven't had any problem yet for playing back divx / xvid /avi files. The only thing i don't like about it is when it plays divx / xvid /avi files it zooms the picture to fit the screen. I would prefer if it could display the picture in its original format. So i going to buy the LG heard it's quite good at divx / xvid.

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  11. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A modded XBOX with XBMC or similar. Not exactly just a DVD player, but a console, audio/video jukebox, media server...and infinitely upgradeable!