1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Players from Malaysia/Singapore - Bad news

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Reiner, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Went to Singapore in December to buy a Sony DVP-S7700 (Asian model, no Scart/RGB) but was put of by the fact the dealer recommended NOT to buy it due to problems with RCE encoded discs.
    I followed the advise and did not buy it though it's only SGD1100 including codefree modification!.

First I found this a bit irritating since manual code selection should be able to handle RCE, but it seems I forgot (or better overlooked) that all players sold around here come with automatic codeselection ONLY.

Back in Malaysia I went to some local dealers to audition the Sony 745 (Asian version of 735 as the 7700 doesn't sell here anymore) and Toshiba 200E but found that they do not sell ANY other player than Pioneer anymore, namely DV-636 (at a mere MYR1500, gold color) and DV-S737 (MYR3800-4000) which both can handle RCE discs in automatic mode. Seeing is believing ... [​IMG]

You can still get a few other models (as well codefree upon request but not RCE compatible) at electrical stores but today I saw they are reducing their stock as well (to Pioneer only).
    And Yamaha (I dropped in at their "HQ") does not sell any DVD player anymore in Malaysia ...

Very sad as players sold here always some with a free codefree modification, and they are usually cheaper than the corresponding model in Europe anyway.
    Hopefully they will introduce manual codeselection soon to give more choice though this actually shows the power of the consumer, ie your player is not codefree you can't sell it ... (manufacturers, take note!)

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

2. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Reiner,

That is an interesting point and I can neither confirm your fear with the s7700 but what I can say is that I own a s7000 (looks identical to the s7700 but with the dvd drawer more to the side under the sliding front).

I got this player from a UK company who gave me the Hong Kong model 3 years ago (champagne gold no scarts).

It is a region 3 machine but has always played any region as long as it is NTSC (no Pal discs for me) including the Patriot.

It is able to play this because of a slide switch inside on the DVD's main board which was defaulted to disable regional coding.

I was panicking over RCE but stopped when I tried the Patriot.

So, I am not 100% sure but the s7700 was basically my model but with DTS and therefore perhaps the main board also had a switch to disregard regional coding. (i.e. not make it code free or multiregion but to completely disable the checking).

Dave.

[This message has been edited by DaveH (edited 07-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DaveH (edited 07-02-2001).]