1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Players, codecs, specs and jerky movies

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by museumsteve, Jul 7, 2004.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    Now that I have myself a nice collection of hi-def stuff to watch, cos you know how you spend weeks or months gathering the stuff reading this and that and getting ready, I find that I'm getting some pretty jerky playback.
    My setup:-

P4 2.66ghz, 1GB DDR, Radeon 9700pro, dvi-dvi to HS20, powerstripped to 1366x768.
    I would post this in HTPC forum but didn't know if it was PC or projector related.
    Would the powerstrip setting 56hz cause an issue for this hi-def stuff.
    I have the latest drivers (ati)
    I've tried everything from WMP9 (WMP10 beta) VLC and Elecard.
    Little bit gutted right now :(

2. MR151

MR151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You really need 3.0Ghz or better processor to play HD stuff smoothly I believe. A 256MB card would help too. The previous generation vid cards should be dropping bigtime in price now.

Another thing that will help a lot is to free up some resources by shutting down all unnecessary programs. My spyware program makes things a little more difficult to watch sometimes. Video more jerky, until I shut it down. Then it flows more smoothly.

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    My 2.8 ghz P4 works fine on most stuff.. I do think its down to the material as well.. not sure a 256mb video card would make much odds really.. esp as you have a gig of system ram anyhow.. how jerky is it ? any particular films ? I could try on my rig to see if I have the same issue..

(But I am either running it to my lcd 1280x768@60 or my tv at 720x480p)

Matt

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    gonna have another look this afternoon and see if any specifics Matt.
    I am convinced that the HS20 running 56hz must have some kind of knock on effect. After spedning hours (and I mean hours) on avsforum last night I found a few people running 1184x666 at 60hz so may give that a go :)

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Whenever i tried HD stuff on my HTPC it was bleedin awful unless i stuck to 60hz. Mind you that was on a Radeon 9000 and AMD 2200+

6. MR151

MR151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Radeon 9800XT 256Mb card is currently running my monitor(21" Sony Artisan) at 1600X1200 & 85Hz. .TS video runs silk smooth on VLC provided my spyware stopper is disabled. Or maybe it's just that that program like any other is just one more app demanding memory from my comp.

7. NinjaShredder

NinjaShredder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are watching american sourced .TS files, these will be encoded at 60 images per second. Content originally filmed at 24 frames per second will be padded out to 60. If your display is at 56Hz, frames will have to be skipped every so often, as I don't know of any software which can do decent frame rate conversion of video. Set your display to a 60Hz refresh rate for smooth playback. Or find .TS playback software which can remove the extra frames from 24fps film based content.

For european .TS files, at 50 images per second, you need your display set to 50Hz or a multiple of. Film based stuff will be at 25, so 75Hz refresh rate would do.

For WMV, or other non broadcast, computer files, these are likely to be only at 24 frames per second. So although 56 is not an exact multiple, it won't be terrible. Though 60 might be slightly smoother. But you might prefer 56, if that is the only setting for 1 to 1 pixel mapping.