1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Player with SACD and DVI output with 720p upscaling under £250?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tommy Angelo, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Tommy Angelo

Tommy Angelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon 1910 on back order with Sevenoaks, which has everything I want other than SACD playback.

What DVD players are worth getting with SACD (DVD-A would be good too) and DVI output with 720p upscaling for under £250? Might be able to afford a little more if its worth it.

Thanks

Andrew

2. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Samsung 745. £100, SACD, DVI output, HD upscaling (720p, 768p, 1080i). Easy Multi Region hack too.

3. Tommy Angelo

Tommy Angelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A little too cheap, Ive been borrowing a 1710 from Sevenoaks while I wait for the 1910 to come in. I don't think they would be happy for me to want to change it to a much cheaper model, plus I would rather pay for better quality.

4. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Too cheap !

PQ is comparable to Denon with no macroblocking, plus it scales in component too.

Want to pay more Samsung HD945 has HDMI and is £160. Sevenoaks can get them as they are listed on their website.

:lesson:

5. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    MickyGee,
    Does the 745 upscale to 720/1080 over component out of the box, or is a firmware patch necessary?

6. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Remote hack does multiregion and component upscale. Hack is on a few other other threads.

Great player.
    :clap:

7. namewheld

namewheld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mickygee,

i'm a newbie regarding this things. what do you mean by remote hack? I'm particlularly interested in the 720p/1080i output, since my tv though 720p/1080i compatible, only has component inputs..

BTW, do you know any brand/model that can output 720p/1080i via component cable? thanks in advance..

8. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Arent there Colour issues with this cheapy DVD Player e.g. it doesnt pass blacker than black or whiter than white ?

Sure I read it somewhere ?

9. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Samsung will output 720p,768p and 1080i via component after applying the remote multi region hack (typing sequence of codes into your remote to activate multiregion and upscaling in component).

The Samsung does struggle in Blacker than Black in DVI, however Whiter than White no probs. However it doesn't really show on an LCD as contrast ratio not as high as CRT.

In Component no issues at all. I have checked this out on the calibration section of PAL DVE.

No Macroblocking, panning or lip synch issues either which can affect faroudja some chipped upscalers.

I have compared the Samsung against a CA DVD 79 and a Denon 1910 - PQ is comparable - maybe very slightly less crisp.

See reviews in Home Cinema of the HD945 which is the same player with HDMI rather than DVI. (V Good)

10. unklewibble

unklewibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Does the Samsung 745 have mulit-disc resume?

I currently have a Sony DVD player and want to upgrade, but I'm hooked on mulit-disc resume. This is an essential feature for me, but is Sony the only brand who provide this?

I want to buy a new DVD player and new freeview PVR for my LCD widescreen telly. Only trouble is the scart input seems to provide a grainy image, so I want to use the component input and the DVI (HDCP) input for the PVR and DVD. I don't care which box goes in which socket, but I suspect a DVI DVD player and component PVR is my best bet. DVD must have multi-disc resume, must be multiregion, progressive scan and I think I want 3:2 / 2:2 detection but I'm not sure what it is :) I was looking at the Sony DVP-NS955, but then I'd need a PVR with DVI out.

Any thoughts? Looking to spend maybe £400 total for both machines.

The TV is a Samsung 17" widescreen. It's small, but I sit quite close to it!

Cheers,

Rob