Player to suit Z2 and Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MWD, Nov 23, 2004.

1. MWD

MWD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI All,

Just after a bit of advice really. Recently bought a Z2 PJ and currently only have a modded xbox to play films on. I would like to buy a new player very soon but unsure as to what my best options are. The reason I mention the 3802 is that I believe it can do component video switching but not sure for how many devices and so on.

I want to link the modded xbox and a new dvd player to the pj and thats it for the time being (may add sky when i up to plus).

So should I buy for example the pioneer 575, link this and the xbox to amp then run components from amp to pj?

Or shoud I buy dvi enabled player like the samsung 935 and then link the dvd player and xbox seperately to the pj (more cost on cables).

Anyway, any advice appreciated.

Cheers

2. MWD

MWD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No-one with any experience of using the 3802 for video switching?

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't know what inputs the Z2 has but for cheap and cheerful the Tosh 240? is it at around £55 from Tescos has pal progressive, and then up from that as you say there is the pioneer etc...

If it's Progressive Scan component you are after and want seriously cheap try the Tosh else go for something like the Pioneer.

If the Z2 has DVI then I guess that's probably the way to go but i've no idea on costs etc... for player but pal progressive from component is not bad and you can try this out for a very small outlay.

Steff

4. MWD

MWD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The z2 has dvi connection, component, s video and then the worthless composite. Ive been curious about the dvi option assuming it would provide the best quality picture but have been unsure as to what length dvi lead you can get and whether increased length leads to a decrease in picture quality.

If I go the component route then I would most likely connect the dvd player to the amp as well as the xbox then run one set of component outs to the pj. If on the other hand the dvi connection is worth using then I would need to get seperate leads for the xbox. Looks like either way Im gonna need about 12m component and then possibly more component or dvi.

Anyone got any ideas on using the 3802 for video switching?

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

i have the a denon 2802 the model below yours and i use it for video switching all my sources

dvd player toshiba 510 via component
    xbox (svideo)
    ps2 (svideo)
    gamecube (component)
    sky + (svideo)

i then run one long component and svideo lead to my panasonic a300 and the denon switches them no problem with no loss of quality

you then have to set up each video source with its correct audio source via the amps menu for instance i have the dvd player set as dvd and the audio source is coax, the ps2 is tv/dbs and the audio is optical 1,the sky+is vcr1 and audio is optical2 etc

6. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have a Denon 3802 with a Panasonic AE200 pj and am currently using a Toshiba 330. I'm very pleased with it even on my probably too large 106" screen. I had a Yamaha 540 for a while but didn't seen any improvement over the Toshiba.

I might try a Pioneer 470/575 but certainly wouldn't want to spend more than £100 on a DVD player in today's market. You could also consider a Panasonic DVD recorder for just under £200 which will give you good DVD performance and the recording facility. I own one of these but use it at my flat in London so haven't tried it with my pj yet.

7. MWD

MWD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers all - I think I will stick to the £100 to £200 mark and try and get hold of a dvi player and the 575 if I can find one anywhere. I have 10m of component already but need to get some BNC to RCA converters to try the component players. Is there any recommended dvi lead for budget players and is there any restrcition on the length of dvi cables?

Cheers again for your answers.