Player (recorder) that does it all?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sanderr2, Mar 26, 2006.

1. sanderr2

sanderr2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a DVD player / recorder that has a freeview tuner and can play SACD / DVD Audio for 5.1 music as well as cinema. Sony and Panasonic seem to fall down on one aspect on their high end models. Any ideas?

2. in2deep

in2deep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment, I don't think there is a "do all" recorder. It's probably one of those things that will happen, but the manufacturers are holding off, in order to tempt people into their kit first!! Who knows...?

The Sony RDR910 is probably the best you can get, from what I've seen so far of reviews, etc. It doesn't have a twin Freeview tuner, and doesn't have SACD, etc, but in other aspects it's pretty good.

3. Sunstealer

Sunstealer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had/have the Sony RXD510. It is a great recorder but DVD playback isn't up to scratch. I have just bought the Pioneer DV989 to act as my dedicated DVD player.

Keep DVD playback in mind when buying one of these. In the few reviews I read they kept saying DVD player quality was around that of a dedicated £100-200 player. I thought this sounded good but was unhappy when watching in particular dark parts of films it struggled. The most obvious problem here was in peoples faces. When it was dark and they moved the light or shadow on their face would take a millisecond to catch up with the move of the face. This became too much for me and why I bought a new player.

Of course this could just be a problem with my particular player or that model.

Have a check through search functionality of the site and see what others think of your short list of choices. In my short time here I have found the advice in this site and reviews to be top class. It is better to get user feedback than rely solely on magazine reviews.

Good luck with your search.

Mark.

4. james_uk9

james_uk9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I too have had numerous dvd/hdd recorders and have never been happy with the dvd playback on any of them. Bear that in mind when u make your final decision.

5. sanderr2

sanderr2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all - guess it might have to be a separate DVD recorder and a decent player. Can't quite figure out why a manufacture wouldn't put decent player (inc SACD and/ or DVD auidio) with a HD recorder and a freeview tuner in the same box. Maybe soon...