1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Player or recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NikB, Jan 6, 2003.

1. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a £213 voucher to spend at either Currys, Dixons, PC World or the Link. I don't really know what to spend it on but was thinking I could upgrade my DVD player or poss buy a recorder. Do Currys or Dixons sell the Pioneer 656? Is the Philips DVDR880 worth having?

2. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +361
    Why not try the panasonic dmr e30 (£399 from dixons on line).

It means you can pause live tv, watch programmes you are recording even after they have started etc.

A dvd recorder is worthwhile if picture quality is important to you and you don't already have a top quality s-vhs recorder.

Don't know if those co's sell the philips dvd player you are after - try their websites!

3. NikB

NikB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for that - I didn't realise the E30 had the time slip feature. The only issue I have with the Panasonic DVD recorders is the compatability issues. Having said that would a DVD+RW recorded on the Philips recorder play on someone else's DVD player?

The Philips recorder is available from Currys for the same price as the Panasonic one, the only problem is I have to spend the vouchers instore so will have to pay an extra £50 if I want to buy one. :(

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There is no compatibility problem if you record to DVD-R, with the panasonic.

The real problem with both these recorders is there is nowhere to store the edited program whilst you burn it to a write once media. You can edit on the panasonic using the DVD-ram disc but these can only be played back on a minority of other machines and are expensive to fill with data and never re-use. If you really want to edit and produce media that is playable on most other dvd players you need to go up to the panasonic HS2 with the built in hard drive. This is superb as you can take a recording from the hard disc or a dvd-ram edit it and transfer 1 or more copies to dvd-r for distibution as required. With the more basic phillips or panasonic you have to record direct to the write once media including all over-runs, ads etc. Media is cheap with DVD-r at under £1 a shot.

If you can argue that you were going to upgrade to sky+ or tivo then the HS2 will recover its additional cost in the first year by providing similar features and have no monthly additional fee to find.