1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLayer generated subtitles.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Techno Freak, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Yamaha DVD player connected to a Panasonic PT-AE300 projector.

When watching widescreen films in zoom mode i loose the bottom lines of player generated subtitles.

Does anyone know of any settings that move the subs up into the film frame?

I have to sit with my finger on the aspect button on the pj remote and when I think there maybe a subtitile hit the button.

I miss a few because if there is only one line of text it does not appear at all on the screen.

Any one have any ideas?

The films I have noticed it on are LOTR r2 and Charlies Angels 2 r2.

Thanks.

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    A predictable comment but...why are you watching in zoom mode?
    Surely the picture size is big enough in wide with a projector?

With a TV you can move the image up so the subtitles are visible but this obviously cuts the top of the image off.
    Not sure if you can do this with a pj.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The PT-AE300 is a 16x9 display right?

If yes - you should

a) set your DVD player to whatever the designer of its menu called 16x9 - it may be wide or a similar term - so that it always outputs a 16x9 signal from discs thatr are thus encoded.

b) set your projector to whatever Panasonic calls 16x9 (it may be 'full' or 'wide' something similar.

Black bars at the top and bottom of many (but not all) films ARE to be expected. The two you quote are valid examples. Try to hide them and you are inevitably cropping or distorting your picture (and hiding your subtitles).

4. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel, if I set the player to wide or 16x9 it stretches anamorphic films to fill the height of the screen - this is no good as it is a distorted, vertically stretched image. I am not really sure if I have grasped the concept of anamorphic correctly but it seems that the only way for me to get a correctly proportioned film in whatever it's native aspect ratio is, is to have the DVD player set to 4:3 and the projector to zoom. This is also the case for my other DVD player on a widescreen TV - DVD on 4:3 and tv on zoom.

Brogan, I use zoom instead of wide as wide only stretches the image horizontally - it is a mode used for stretching 4:3 pictures to 16:9 so if you watch a widescreen film in wide all you get is a very wide picture with a distorted height to width ratio, i.e. every one looks like a hobbit - short and fat.

Thanks for replying.

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    On most DVD's, the subtitles are stored as subpictures - these are images of the same resolution as the video (for instance 720x576) and not entirely unlike GIF's. The decision on how to place them, what typeface to use, etc. is done in the mastering of the DVD, but I think some DVD's do displace them depending on the screen type.

I don't know if this is done by having separate subpicture streams or if the standard has a command for shifting the subpictures, but I don't think any player allows for shifting them manually.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    It sounds like you haven't set both the projector and the player to 16:9. If just the player is set to 16:9, then it comes out vertically stretched. The display device needs to be on 16:9 to squish it back to the right size.

It won't affect how 4:3 stuff looks as you would just put the PJ on 4:3 mode.

2.25 films such as LOTR will still have a thin black border top and botttom.

This applies to both your widescreen TV and the PJ. Both and players need to be set to 16:9. My sony tv calls 16:9 wide mode.

7. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nwgarratt, I will have a play tonight.

So....I set the player ( Yamaha ) to 16:9 and
    the pj ( panasonic ) to wide?

Is this just for anamorphic films? What is the best way to set things up for non-anamorphic widescreen films?

Thanks.

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    You don't need to change anything on the player, leave it on 16:9 all the time.

When you play a non anamorphic DVD, it will come out squashed. Use zoom on the PJ to make it the right size. With 4:3 stuff, just put the PJ on 4:3.

This also applies to the TV.

9. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, now I am really confused.

I have set the DVD player to 16:9

I put on an anamorphic DVD on with the PJ set to 4:3 and it gives me a horizontally squashed picture. Setting the PJ to 16:9 instead of Zoom stretches the picure to give the correct aspect - no problem there.

Incidently, this also fixes the missing player generated sub-titles.

So.....here's where I get confused:-

I put in a non-anamorphic DVD with the PJ set to 4:3 expecting to see a correctly ratio'd film which I would have to zoom. But, it is horizontally squashed like the anamorphic film, so I still need to use 16:9 instead of zoom.

Does this mean the player is squashing the non-anamorphic film to suit the expanding of the PJ's 16:9 setting?

If so, how does this differ from a true anamorphic encoded disc?

Does this mean I have less quality picture as the player has squashed it, just for the PJ to un-squash it?

In that case, would I be better watching widescreen - non-anamorphic films with the player set to 4:3 and the PJ set to zoom?

Just to really, really bust my brains - I tried various modes using the film Bugs Life.

Bugs life has a full frame film on one side of the disc and a widescreen version on the other.

When testing, the full screen film had more footage at the sides than the widescreen!!!! - I was really scratching my head with that one, untill I played it on my other player on a 4:3 TV and realised that they have pressed the films on the wrong side of the disc - the 1:33 film is on the side labelled 1:2.35.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    When the player is set to 16:9 and playing a non anamoprhic DVD. The zoom is suppose to unsquash the film vertically. It would come out very thin otherwise with massive border top and bottom. This is definitely how a widescreen TV works.

I don't have a projector so there is a possibility (unless someone else says different) that you have to put the player and PJ both on 4:3 for non anamophic DVD's.

A non anamophic DVD will have around 30% less resolution than anamorphic.

11. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what I was expecting.

I wonder if my DVD player does some sort of processing to squash a widescreen DVD horizontally so you don't need to keep changing your TV / PJ aspect modes?