Player free from NTSC (RGB) banding required.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ged, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have just bought a Samsung LCD monitor which exhibits the RGB scart banding problem when using region 1 discs and Pioneer (565 ) players.
    The Pioneer was working fine with a Pacific CRT, the S-Video is fine into the Samsung but the cable sticks out of the side. I have tried the Mico 1028 but this does the same.
    Can anyone recommend a cheap multi region player which doesn't exhibit this problem? I feel alot of the newer players are sharing common components, as most are being produced in China, hence the similarity with this problem.

Ged.

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well, bought a Panasonic S47 from RS, sadly the same problem and it was made in China.
    So, that's gone back, anyone have a suggestion?

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Get a player with ntsc to pal conversion and leave it in pal mode possibly. Probably make playback a bit more jerky though.

Try a player based on a different chipset.

Samsung often use zoran (same as arcam) maybe a samsung player will give better results. Check it has an easy multiregion hack first before buying though.

Other chipsets are sigma, ESS and suntek.

Sadly I don't know what chipsets the Pioneer and Panasonic you've tried use. The newer Pioneer 575 model uses a cheap mediatek chipset as does many Toshiba, Philips and Yamade models. In fact most cheap players use mediatek but not all.

The thing is though if you have a LCD tv which is pal resolution and your using NTSC via RGB what can the tv do except space out the lines. If it interpolated the image that would probably look wierd too. S-video is different as its got to be processed by the tv sets circuitry anyway. It sounds like the Samsung is a really good set in that it doesn't process an RGB image very much. Should look good in pal mode. Theres about 100 lines less of information with ntsc compared to pal. Something like 480 visible lines compared to 576 lines of pal. I wonder if any dvd player with RGB output is going to be any better.

I personally think leaving a player in pal output model only may be your only solution and it won't be a perfect one.

Most chinese brand dvd players have this option. The £30 skyworth at whsmiths is worth a look. Its mulitregion out of the box and has ntsc to pal conversion.

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks,
    I checked the back of a Samsung, made in Indonesia, maybe free from this chipset.

5. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Picked up a Yamaha S550, still bad on NTSC but converted to PAL it is fine, better than the Pioneer.
    What a pain. To cap things off, I am not so sure of the LCD display, I think I maybe in for an ear bashing in the next couple of weeks.
    The size is good but the colours don't seem as vibrant, this is becoming one very expensive holiday....I need a drink.

6. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Could you say which monitor please? I'd like to learn as much as possible as I'm thinking of maybe buying a Samsung LCD tv (/Toshiba / Sharp / Aldi / etc. etc. :) )

7. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I don't think colours are as vibrant with LCD generally and you have a limited colour palette compared to CRT sets so you are more likely to get colour stepping effects. However you do get perfect geometry and of course a much more attractive and compact cabinet. The main limitation is with scaling though. If the LCD panel is setup perfectly for pal then ntsc isn't as good and vice versa. I've just bought one of the cheap 7" Coby portable dvd players from ebuyer. The screen is ntsc resolution like most portable dvd players so for best results you have to set the dvd player side to NTSC output even for pal dvds or you get much more onscreen artifacts. An LCD panel can not change its native resolution like a CRT. Plasma has the same limitation.

8. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    It is a Samsung 710MP cost £270 from Staples, I am unsure as to whether there any fundamental differences between a PC monitor with a built in TV tuner and vice versa. I sat watching it last night and it was OK, I think that's the difference, CRT is more vibrant but a big box.

Back to the RGB issue, can component feed the PC terminal of this screen? I have seen boxes to convert and come accross cable only converters. Whilst at work one of our imaging systems was wired up R-G-B with a Black sync to a monitor, would I be able to connect the Black to the Yellow on the player for sync?

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    You can't connect component to VGA connections unless a) you use some sort of converter box inbetween or b) its a projector which has additional non standard inputs via VGA.

You can get some dvd players with VGA outputs though. They tend to be the sort of player sold on ebay and not seen in the shops as their not really fully legal when they provide a progressive VGA image (I think mainly because they have to disable macrovision to do it).