1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Player £150-£210?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CRAIGYBOY1, Aug 22, 2004.

1. CRAIGYBOY1

CRAIGYBOY1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,
    I am looking for a new multi-region player in the price range mentioned. Ideally I would like SACD and DVDA. I also like to play MP3's from DVD if possible. I will also be using the player for CD playback.

I have been looking at the Denon DVD1400 which gets good reviews? but is not progressive scan? Do I need a player with prog scan as I seem to remember reading that a plasma displays everything in prog scan anyway??

Other players were the Denon DVD1710 which seems to be a bit flimsy build wise.....or the pioneer 565(i think) which has no adjustment for speaker settings when playing SACD/DVDA.

Any advice appreciated.

The Denon DVD1400 does seem a great buy at £199 if I don't need prog scan??

Thanks Craigyboy.

2. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    If you don't need Progressive Scan then the Denon 1400 is a good bet. However, if you are thinking of getting an LCD/Plasma display you would be better off with a Prog Scan player. In that case, get the Pioneer DV-575A. Even if you don't use the Prog Scan (I don't) on this player it is a fantastic buy and can be purchased for under £150. I think Super Fi were doing it multi-region for £130. The build quality isn't that good but it doesn't look bad and the metallic front actually looks pretty good in my opinion. The best thing about this player is the fact it will play pretty much anything. DVD-V,DVD-A,DVD-R,DVD-RW,CD-A,SACD,MP3,WMA, it is even DivX certified! Better still, the playback quality is class-leading!

3. CRAIGYBOY1

CRAIGYBOY1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark.
    I should have said that I have a Panny 42pw6.
    I'm not at all technical but I thought I read in another thread that the "squigglies" inside a plasma deinterlace a signal and display everything as progressive scan???

The Pioneer does sound a great player, the only grumble I've heard is the lack of a function to set speaker levels for multi channel music?? Can anyone confirm?

4. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Yeah, I think you're right about not being able to change the speaker level though I'm not entirely sure as I don't use my Pioneer for DVD-A or SACD playback.

As for the progressive scan I think that for a true progressive picture both the source and the display have to support it. So for a PAL progressive scan picture the DVD player would have to send a 576p signal and the display would have to be capable of displaying a 576p signal. Having never owned a progressive scan TV I cannot confirm this but from what I have read I think this is the case.

When you send an interlaced signal to a progressive device like a plasma TV, I assume it 'scales it' internally but to what success when compared to a progressive signal I have no idea.

5. alfablue

alfablue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There has been a fair bit of discussion about bass management on multichannel (analogue) output. The bass seems to be lacking, but the answer seems to be to set main and surround speakers to small - a crude approach to bass management, but it worked for me - others have been less satisfied.

I think I read somewhere that the problem was that the digital out for DVD-V actually had a bass boost, so analogue sounded flimsy in comparison - someone will no doubt come up with the whole / correct story.

The only other downside I know of is the problem with Pio players on Panny TV's (I have a TX 28 PK3), with R1 disc (so NTSC) there is feint banding sometimes visible. The fix for this is supposed to be by the DVCO setting in the TV service menu, but it didn't work for me. Pio won't help because we aren't supposed to have multiregion modded players anyway, and I think Panny deny it. Its not a major problem, but like all things, once aware of it, it niggles.

It has put me off Panny TV's rather than Pio players, and I think I would look at a Toshiba if I ever get another tube TV (which is also more likely to have compnent inputs). Or hopefully, I win the lottery and get a Pio plasma.

6. stevej

stevej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was in the same predicament last week and settled for the Denon. The bass management and banding issues (on Panny tv's), put me off the Pioneer. I was quite surprised with the Denon having upgraded from a Tosh 220, and don't start me on multi-channel music. I'm only wondering about one thing regarding the Pioneer, and that is, can a player costing less than half the rrp really be better, if you take out the Prog scan? Or is it more a case of 'bang for bucks'?