Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Played guitar for first time in 2 years today - where's my talent gone?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Dimmy, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, not as cut & dry as the title suggests, but I haven't REALLY touched my guitar for years & years.

Dear god - I'm a fumbling fool. I haven't played guitar so long that the skin at the edge of my fingertips has become soft & girlie.

Had a run through of Johnny B Goode, I couldn't even discipline my fingers to move properly across the fretboard :(. I was even stuggling with Queen's stuff and a couldn't remember a few basic chords. I've been attentive to piano for too long.

This is really really bad, I think I'm going to take a few weeks 'out' of college just to get this abysmal playing back up to speed - I've got a shedload of exams next year!

Somebody tell me it'll be okay :(

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,463
    I daren't think how I'd be. I used to play bass and haven't touched one for about 15 years.

3. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still do mate :D

I stoped playing for about 10 months whilst I was at uni, but when I came back I seemed better if anything. Wierd. You should be ok Dimmy, keep playing those scales and it'll come back.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Just like riding a bike , it will all come back to you. Cant help with the finger ends, even now, if I play for long enough 4/5 hrs at a stretch., Im sure the bone is protruding through the my finger tips owwww. Mind you, I still cant play for s**t even with that amount of practice :confused:

5. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget to warmup your fingers before ripping into any blazing solos. Your love of music will seep back into your playing after a short while of reintroduction with the instrument, and the "talent" will return soon thereafter.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,463
    I might get myself another bass and try my Jean Jacques Burnel impressions again ;)

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Strange I picked my bass up a couple of weeks ago, for the first time in over a year (OK I was a bit drunk) and thought I'd start with something simple so I tried to play along to Radioheads creep (I used to fall asleep playing this in the band).

After deciding that the problem was this was too slow and simple I switched to playing parrallel Universe by the chilli's, after almost 30 seconds I unplugged the amp and away it all went for another year or so.

Damm shame I was never going to be an decent bass player (not too bad on the tuba though), but it was fun.

8. darth_sidious

darth_sidious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i played guitar for about 3 years and could never play that well and kinda stopped playing about three years ago and now i am absolutly useless!!!!