Playbook Fire Sale soon?

springtide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just read this on Engadget:
RIM takes $485 million hit on the PlayBook in Q3 -- Engadget

RIM takes $485 million hit on the PlayBook in Q3
Just how much is the PlayBook costing RIM? The BlackBerry-maker revealed that it will be taking a $485 million hit in the third fiscal quarter, thanks to the QNX-packing tablet. The charge reflects flagging sales on the PlayBook, which moved some 500,000 units in its first quarter, followed by 250,000 and 150,000 in the following two. In spite of such numbers, the Canadian smartphone manufacturer remains committed to the tablet, which has seen some healthy price drops in recent weeks, in hopes of staying competitive amongst new crop of budget tablets.

Do people see another Fire Sale on it's way to clear/shift stock?

Yes right now! £169 from Currys/PCWorld - in two minds if to buy or not, if its was "full" android then I would go ahead for sure.

Yes right now! £169 from Currys/PCWorld - in two minds if to buy or not, if its was "full" android then I would go ahead for sure.

i click n reserved mine before (only the 16gb one was left locally) and im still in two minds.im not sure the 7inch screen is big enough for browsing or movie watching and the fact it has no micro sd slot is a bit of a pain,add to that there is no android market app business and im really sliding towards cancelling my order.

i click n reserved mine before (only the 16gb one was left locally) and im still in two minds.im not sure the 7inch screen is big enough for browsing or movie watching and the fact it has no micro sd slot is a bit of a pain,add to that there is no android market app business and im really sliding towards cancelling my order.

Yeah me too! We wanted one, just not sure if the Playbook is the right one, if you could take off the bespoke OS, and put Android on, its a winner.

I recently bought the 64GB one after worrying about only having 16GB capacity and I love it, syncs brilliantly with my Bold 9900, if you don't have a BB phone I wouldn't bother personally.

There has been recent attempts to root the Playbook but I wouldn't hold out much hope of a full replacement of the QNX OS like there has been with the Touchpad, it seems that RIM have the bootloader locked down much more securely than other makers which could render it impossible to do a full OS replacement.

Was going to buy this but decided I'd rather wait and get a Honeycomb or ICS sandwich tablet next year for a little more.

£170 is a lot for a failed device with lack of support and apps, being 7" is also another real killer.

... 7" is also another real killer.

I think this is actually one of the really strong points, it's the perfect size for carrying around. iPad was too big and this is just right for movies and browsing and discreet enough to not get mugged on the train for it.

Bought the 16GB PB recently when they were 200 quid and they're really good but only if you have a BB. At 169 quid, I'm tempted to get a few more. When Android support is out in Feb, you'll have access to a much larger app store but the existing one is pretty good too, plenty on there and the PB does a lot out of the box.

I think this is actually one of the really strong points, it's the perfect size for carrying around. iPad was too big and this is just right for movies and browsing and discreet enough to not get mugged on the train for it.

+1,

well I prefer the 9.7" size of the iPad, there is quite clearly a market for 7" devices especially when you look the states and the popularity of the devices like the Nook Colour and now the Kindle Fire. Yes, one aspect of their popularity is their price but I think another reason is because of their size.

Really like the 7" size of the PB myself, found the 10" Xoom far too big for comfortable portability.

I still have mine reserved, but I think I will give it a miss, based on the comments above and other bits I have read.

It looks like prices may fall further, and on other tablets.

Fantastic device.

I'd highly recommend -2.0 beta is already out and readily available. It still does web browsing and media duties to a fantastic standard.

I no longer have a bb handset and still think its ace.

Fantastic device.

I'd highly recommend -2.0 beta is already out and readily available. It still does web browsing and media duties to a fantastic standard.

Going to hang on and wait for sub £100.

hardcastle said:
Fantastic device.

I agree, the current 2.0 beta is working really well, its great for using things like Tapatalk and the AV Forums App

Does this 2.0 Beta make it an Android device, or just add Android App compatibility to the device?

I know you can watch iplayer etc, what about LoveFilm (I doubt it) and streaming from a NAS (TV/Films/Music/Pics) - is this possible?

It doesn't make it an Android Device no, it basically makes it compatible with most Android 2.3 Apps

Its ace at the moment and thats with the severely limited App world.

When Android App compatability gets rolled out officially in 2.0 in the next 6-8 weeks the playbook will be perfect for me.

fits in the bag for the commute a treat and looks beautiful on the coffee table when not sofa browsing!

Any one recommend a nice flip/stand case for it, quite like the wallet/pouch it comes with but looking for a hard flip case ideally..

Its ace at the moment and thats with the severely limited App world.

When Android App compatability gets rolled out officially in 2.0 in the next 6-8 weeks the playbook will be perfect for me.

fits in the bag for the commute a treat and looks beautiful on the coffee table when not sofa browsing!

Any one recommend a nice flip/stand case for it, quite like the wallet/pouch it comes with but looking for a hard flip case ideally..

The Official Convertible case is meant to be good, I bought the Otterbox Toughcase but its too bulky for everyday use, the stand it comes with is brill though for using the PB on my desk!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom