Playback with TV being on

Flyman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've just set up my new Apple TV only to discover that I have to keep the TV on at all times while playing music back via iTunes through my Yamaha RX3067.

Does anybody know if theres away to avoid this as i really dont want my TV burning electricity unnecessarily?

How is it connected? Is it direct to AVR using HDMI or does it go direct to the TV?

If its HDMI through your AVR then it should play irrespective of TV being on or not. If its via the TV then you need to think of other ways to connect.

In either option above, you could still utilise the Optical Out to go direct to AVR and just use a different input?

A quick Google suggests that your AVR does have HDMI, so as long as plugged in direct it should be fine with TV off...

How is it connected? Is it direct to AVR using HDMI or does it go direct to the TV?

If its HDMI through your AVR then it should play irrespective of TV being on or not. If its via the TV then you need to think of other ways to connect.

In either option above, you could still utilise the Optical Out to go direct to AVR and just use a different input?

A quick Google suggests that your AVR does have HDMI, so as long as plugged in direct it should be fine with TV off...

Hi bpsmith,

The Apple TV is connected directly to the AVR via HDMI.
If I go down the optical route for audio would the audio quality remain the same?

Whats very strange is that if I stream directly through the AVR bypassing the Apple TV then I can turn off the TV and still hear audio! :confused:

Piscatorian said:
Hi bpsmith,

The Apple TV is connected directly to the AVR via HDMI.
If I go down the optical route for audio would the audio quality remain the same?

Whats very strange is that if I stream directly through the AVR bypassing the Apple TV then I can turn off the TV and still hear audio! :confused:

Explain that again as I know nothing about your model AVR. Can I assume it has dlna or similar streaming onboard?

Thats correct, the Yamaha RX3067 can be networked so I can stream music from my Mac to the amp.

Let's separate out the 2 things then.

The networked AVR works with TV on or off because it's designed to work even if not even connected to TV. I would be very worried if it didn't do so in this way.

The ATV is looking for a TV to be there, hence why the difference in usage. Personally I would have assumed the ATV would work irrespective of the TV being on or off. Weird one that, and unfortunately I don't have an ATV to test this out on my lowly Onkyo 507...

Might be having one for Christmas off the missus though, so will be glad to help if nobody chimes in before.

As far as sound quality is concerned, the Audio from HDMI or Optical is the same quality level so if you can use the Optical to get it to work then go for it.

Hi,
I use my apple tv in two different modes:
1. Connected to my AV receiver using an HDMI lead. TV is connected to receiver as an Hdmi output device ..Used to watch movies, view photo slide shows, you tube videos and tv shows streamed from ITunes on pc upstairs (technically a Linux server running a windows xp virtualbox machine)

2. Using an optical lead connected from apple tv to AV receiver. In this case the apple TV acts as an airplay device with the TV off (similar to an apple airport express device) . This allows me to stream music from iTunes on pc as well as AirPlay on iPhone/iPad to play music through the AV receiver's speakers. In my case as the apple tv is always on, I just select the optical input on the receiver, hit play on the pc/iPad/iPhone and select apple tv as the airplay device

In mode 2 there is no need to have the tv on. In fact using the harmony one remote the only devices configured for the "AirPlay" activity are the apple tv (just to wake up the device) and the receiver.

Just tried it now and it works with tv off!

You might want to check that the optical input you use isn't assigned to the same input device as the hdmi lead, as certainly on my Sony amp I can combine audio from the optical input and video from any HDMI input to a new input selection

Just to emphasise, from the apple tv the optical lead and the HDMI lead should go to two separate ( unlinked) inputs on the receiver allowing you to use each one independently.

HTH
Dee

Exactly as I suggested above then! Thanks for confirming fella. ;-)

I have my ATV2 connected to an Onkyo 607 via HDMI, with the TV fed off the same amp via HDMI, no optical cable is used. I can use the ATV2 without having the TV on, but I have found that if I have the TV on to begin with, find and play my music and then turn the TV off, the audio stops. Simply hitting Play again kicks it back into life.

If I don't turn the TV on at all and use the Remote app from an iThing, it works as you would hope.

If this doesn't work for you and there is nothing in the amps settings to change that, I would suggest its a limitation of your amp rather than ATV2.

A bit like when you remove the headphone cable from your iThing then. Cool.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advice. I'll have to go and experiment as and when work will allow! :(
I'll get back to you just as soon as I can.

:rolleyes:
I have my ATV2 connected to an Onkyo 607 via HDMI, with the TV fed off the same amp via HDMI, no optical cable is used. I can use the ATV2 without having the TV on, but I have found that if I have the TV on to begin with, find and play my music and then turn the TV off, the audio stops. Simply hitting Play again kicks it back into life.

If I don't turn the TV on at all and use the Remote app from an iThing, it works as you would hope.

If this doesn't work for you and there is nothing in the amps settings to change that, I would suggest its a limitation of your amp rather than ATV2.

I tried your suggestion and it works! :thumbsup:
Don't know why I didnt think of that! :facepalm:
Saved me the £'s for an optical cable so thank you :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom