playback stuttering

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by osmyth, Feb 20, 2014.

1. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have got my new htpc build up and running now.
    However, I have an issue which will probably make it unusable if I can’t fix it.

I have taken a football recording (1080 25 frames/sec) from my Humax HDR and am playing it using WMP/WMC and VLC player.
    I’ve set it to the best/max de-interlacing but get light stuttering on both.
    Setting it to a lower de-interlacing doesn’t give the stuttering but the motion isn’t smooth.
    Graphics output is set to Vector Adaptive which WMP uses. VLC is set to Yadif 2x.
    I’ve tried various settings in WMP and VLC but no joy so far.

I have an AMD A10-5700 so hopefully the processing power is ok, but maybe not?

I need to get it to equal the Humax HDR in picture quality otherwise there aren’t any benefits really.

Anyone have any thoughts? Would a separate graphics card help?

Thanks.

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    Possibly different software and / or a different graphics card would help.

But first, do you have the refresh rate outputting at 50hz?

3. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, pretty sure the refresh rate was 50hz.

Tested a bit more last night (not on the TV, but via a monitor), although realized at the end that the monitor rate was 60hz.
    Installed MediaPortal. It said that Windows Aero wasn't enabled. For whatever reason the graphics parts of Windows Experience Index were 1.0. It re-ran the WEI tests and now they are 6 odd and Aero is enabled.
    I don't know, aside from the above for MePo, if having the WEI as 1.0 affects other things.

I tried to play the football .ts file in MePo but it wouldn't play until I checked the box to use the Video Codecs instead of the TV Codecs (for .ts files).
    Does that mean that there is a problem with the file, or should you always use the Video codecs for .ts files?
    The other file I have is the Cheese Slices de-interlacing 1080i test which played fine, before/after ticking the box. Don't think that is .ts.

I didn't have time to check out the picture quality so that is my next step.

I assume if I get a decent picture via the monitor then it will only be a matter of getting the HDTV/hdmi settings correct to get the same via the TV.

4. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    Keep it simple as possible.

Get your graphics card working at 1080/50Hz (or whatever your monitor/TV is) before you start fiddling with codecs.

5. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    Yes, agree with Stiggy there.

Then in MediaPortal I would suggest using LAV filters for everything (should be autoinstalled with MePo), if still having problems then may need to adjust some of the LAV settings, but one step at a time!

6. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, done some more testing.

On the monitor, for 60Hz and 75Hz (can't set it to 50Hz):
    WMP (LAV) gives stutter and interlaced effect every few seconds.
    VLC Player Yadif 2x works fine.
    MePo (LAV) works fine.

On the TV:
    WMP (LAV) gives stutter and interlaced effect every few seconds.
    VLC Player Yadif 2x only works using 1080i (60Hz, only one I can set it to for 1080i), it stutters on 720p/1080p (25/50Hz).
    MePo (LAV) works fine.

So, as I want to use MePo for the htpc then it's ok and i've ordered a TV Tuner to test out.

That said, it would be interesting to find out why WMP/VLC aren't working, assume it's a settings problem.

Thanks.