1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playback quality of pre-recorded DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by soleus, Sep 17, 2003.

1. soleus

soleus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am about to delve into the world of DVD recorders and wondered if there is a substantial difference in the quality of the playback of pre-recorded DVDs compared to that of a dedicated player.

Would a DVD player costing £200 provide better quality playback than the new Panny DMRE100? Just a rough generalisation would be helpful to a n00b.

Thanks

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My E50 recorder is as good,if not better,than my previous 2 top of the range Sony 715/725 players and a couple of other makes I've seen.

So no generally.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It is very convenient though to have a seperate dvd player:

1) they are a lot easier to just play for the technically challenged.
    2) THis means you can tell the kids not to touch the panny.
    3) It lets the recorder get on with what it is best at which is recording to hdd and archiving to dvd.
    4) My toshiba has a component out and optical link which gives better sound and picture, but as a byproduct means I can't use my normal headphones arrangement. I also often find that some of the dvd extras have no sound. If I want to use headphones or see these extras with sound I can play back through the recorder, which is only connected by scart, hence they work correctly.

(My headphones are radio, not wire and are connected to the audio out on the rear of my set via a small amplifier. Unfortunately , if I use the optical source for dolby sound no output is available through this audio out. )

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with kenfowler3966. A DVD player is desirable in addition to a DVD recorder. I use two DVD recorders but use my Pioneer player as the work horse for playing and testing my discs. Leaving the recorders for recording in the main.

Having a none-recorder machine also helps in testing the compatibility of your media.

5. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Am I correct in assuming that if you use the recorder for recording only there is no need to pay extra for the multi region version?

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes, I have never needed to play a non region 2 in my multiregion hs2, a waste of £30 looking back. However it does give flexibility in case the player only machine packs up or is needed in a different room.