• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Playback Problems with Blu-ray and DVD via HDMI on Acer Aspire 3200

CorrieH

Standard Member
:lease:
Playback problems with Blu-ray and DVD via HDMI on Acer Aspire 3200
hi,
Recently got a new PC , acer 3200 ( Big Mistake ), I got it because of its Blu-ray Player and as i thought a good spec.
The purpose of said maichine was to copy using clone dvd and any dvd ,all my dvd's appox 450 to Hard Drives, to which at the momment i have one external 1tb. The pc is classed as having the Geforce 8200,motherboard. It's Not Nvidia,but a unbranded board which acer uses.
I have this connected to a samsung plasma 42 " , WITH A 720 resolution.
connection is by HDMI.
The set up on picture is 1280 x 720 @ 50 hz.

Now here's my problem , the dvd's which i have are region 1 & 2, so are at 50 and 60 hz. The 50 hz play perfectly.the 60 hz shudder.
The other problem is the blu-ray side of things, with nearly 100 films, only the odd few play ok, the rest again shudder. these are all uk bought discs but looking at info ( when played on my projector) it states they are running at 60hz.

If i set the pc to 60 hz, the standard image of the pc is blurry and picture playback then swaps round so i then have loads of dvd'd which i cant watch.

I've tried the set up using the VGA cable, but this will only give a 4.3 ratio on screen, which my plasma is then stretching. This ofcorse is now running at 60 hz .Opening of the films then mean that i have to enlarge the images ( which i'm unsure or not, if im actually getting a 720 resolution from the blu-ray discs ) they seem like they play ( maybe slight judder from region 2 dvd's) and although i'm greatful that they seem like they now play , it does not help as i need to output on HDMI as the main reason for the pc is to run picture into a 7.1 Amp ( which i dont have yet, which will connect to a full hd proector and my plasma )

I dont understand how the picture from HDMI to VGA can be so different,when its comming from the same graphics card, and why is the picture at 60 hz on HDMI so different to that of 60 hz on VGA.

please can someone help as my wife is literally close to killing me...not joking either.
ps. Would it be possible to use an ntsc to pal converter,with HDMI connections?

MikeK

Now here's my problem , the dvd's which i have are region 1 & 2, so are at 50 and 60 hz. The 50 hz play perfectly.the 60 hz shudder.

TBH, this is normal!
To get proper playback for both types of DVD you'd have to switch between 50Hz(PAL) and 60Hz(NTSC) - though 24Hz would be better for NTSC (if your TV supports it) as that should get rid of the NTSC 3:2 pulldown judder which people normally get with NTSC DVDs.
If you don't fancy that, then there is a program called Reclock, which can change the output speed of NTSC DVDs to be 25fps, just like PAL - the audio is resampled to match the new output speed, though it does have a pitch correction feature!

The other problem is the blu-ray side of things, with nearly 100 films, only the odd few play ok, the rest again shudder. these are all uk bought discs but looking at info ( when played on my projector) it states they are running at 60hz.

Again, this is normal. The same issue applies here as it does with NTSC DVD - the 24fps issue. Practically all Bluray movies are 24fps - there isn't a PAL version as there was with DVD.

If i set the pc to 60 hz, the standard image of the pc is blurry and picture playback then swaps round so i then have loads of dvd'd which i cant watch.

The blur is most likely being caused by an underscan or overscan issue.
That could be in either the video card driver or the TV settings, but the first place I'd look is the TV. On some sets, this is unadjustable - you just have to live with it - while on others, they have a bitmapped setting, such as ExactScan or JustScan (to name two - I'm sure there are other names too from various manufacturers).

As to the "playback swap round", this is to be expected, as PAL DVDs are now being played at 60Hz, so you'll get an uneven frame repeat pattern as your PC plays back a 25fps source at 60Hz (when played back at 50Hz, you just get each frame repeated once in a 2:2:2:2:2:2:2.......pattern called 2:2 pulldown)

I've tried the set up using the VGA cable, but this will only give a 4.3 ratio on screen, which my plasma is then stretching. This ofcorse is now running at 60 hz .Opening of the films then mean that i have to enlarge the images ( which i'm unsure or not, if im actually getting a 720 resolution from the blu-ray discs ) they seem like they play ( maybe slight judder from region 2 dvd's) and although i'm greatful that they seem like they now play , it does not help as i need to output on HDMI as the main reason for the pc is to run picture into a 7.1 Amp ( which i dont have yet, which will connect to a full hd proector and my plasma )

It depends on the TV as to what they support on the VGA port - some TVs only support a limited range of resolutions, and may not support 50Hz at all!
Others may support 75Hz (which is OK for PAL) - it just depends on the TV.
My brother has a 1080p LCD TV, but that won't accept anything higher than 1280x1024 via VGA (and that's not even a widescreen resolution either).

I dont understand how the picture from HDMI to VGA can be so different,when its comming from the same graphics card, and why is the picture at 60 hz on HDMI so different to that of 60 hz on VGA.

It may not be any different - but what your TV does with the 2 different inputs could be!

please can someone help as my wife is literally close to killing me...not joking either.

Can't help you there :) ;)

ps. Would it be possible to use an ntsc to pal converter,with HDMI connections?

This sound really desperate now! ;)
Luckily there's no need for one of these even if they exist!
Reclock will do what you want - and it's free and fairly easy to use!

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupReClock1845.exe

CorrieH

Standard Member
thanx for the web link to reclock. tried it on my dvd collection , the ones i use to sort out this problem,and they seem to work fine.tried a couple of blu-rays aswell they play better the image flows better,but extream left to right panning still causes it to shudder . but its atleast 80% better.
my tv by the way dosent have 24 fps . if it did would the films play perfectly then?

MikeK

thanx for the web link to reclock. tried it on my dvd collection , the ones i use to sort out this problem,and they seem to work fine.

I'd set for refresh rate/2 as the preferred output, and set the video card to output at 50Hz, but have a play around and see what works best!

tried a couple of blu-rays aswell they play better the image flows better,but extream left to right panning still causes it to shudder . but its atleast 80% better.

Hmm, sounds like Reclock may not be doing the speedup for Blurays here - although judder can have several other causes too.
Check the Reclock window while playing a Bluray (just double click the Reclock Icon which appears near the clock on the bottom toolbar)
What player software are you using?

my tv by the way dosent have 24 fps . if it did would the films play perfectly then?

Yes (from a refresh rate perspective anyway) - providing the TV supports true 24p (some accept 24p as an input but convert internally to 60Hz for display, pretty much defeating the purpose of 24p input. Those which support true 24p will refresh the screen at 24Hz or a direct multiple of 24Hz (eg 48Hz, 72Hz, 120Hz etc) when a 24p signal is input.

Some TVs may allow 48Hz input even if it's not specifically listed - my projector allows it (even though it still says it's 50Hz on the info menu)
The only way to know for sure is to try it - a program called Powerstrip allows you to do this on ATI cards, I believe Nvidia's control panel allows it without Powerstrip.
If your TV allows it, you could use the reverse process, and slowdown all your PAL DVDs to 24Hz (PAL DVDs are all speeded up anyway - you'd just be correcting that speedup) - Reclock has a button for doing just that!

CorrieH

Standard Member
Hello again, was just looking at what you said.what do you mean set refresh at/2 and were am I supposed to do it.
Also I'm using cyberlink power DVD 7 for my ts files. And version 9 for the blu ray. Version 9 won't open directly from the video ts file which plays the movie, version 7 does.
Also I've noticed reclock isn't allowing Dolby digital or dts sound. It's coming out in stereo and the cyberlink 7 keeps reverti g back to 2 channel. Instead of sp diff

CorrieH

Standard Member
Hello again, was just looking at what you said.what do you mean set refresh at/2 and were am I supposed to do it.
Also I'm using cyberlink power DVD 7 for my ts files. And version 9 for the blu ray. Version 9 won't open directly from the video ts file which plays the movie, version 7 does.
Also I've noticed reclock isn't allowing Dolby digital or dts sound. It's coming out in stereo and the cyberlink 7 keeps reverti g back to 2 channel. Instead of sp diff

I've had to remove the program until I find out if it will play Dolby digital and dts. If it doesn't it's not going to solve the problem! If you have any other idears that would be greatful. Thanx.

MikeK

You set refresh rate/2 in the properties window, the icon for which opens during playback (right click the little Reclock icon which appears in the system tray (near the clock) whenever Reclock is loaded). Lokk under Media Adaptation - Speed!

As for PowerDVD - it's such a pain in rear!!
For DVD/ts files I'm not sure I'd even bother with it - I'd just use Media Player Classic Home Cinema Edition, or KMPlayer - both are free (and there plenty of other free players too)
It's more of a problem to switch players for Bluray discs though - unless you have AnyDVDHD - however there is a large thread on Reclock support with PowereDVD over at Slysoft (who own Reclock now) - you may get some joy there!

Version 1.7b4 definitely used to work with AC3 and DTS passthrough - though it may be missing some of the latest features!

BTW - I think you may have to click " Accept SPDIF Formats" in Reclock configuration in order to enable AC3/DTS passtrough on the later Reclock versions.
Read the Readme on using SPDIF passthrough with Reclock though - there can be issues when you use Reclock to speed up/slow down!
A solution to those issues is to set your player to decode to speakers (rather than SPDIF) - this will decode the AC3/DTS into PCM, which Reclock can resample properly, and then re-encode into an AC3 stream to pass over SPDIF - you enable this by setting "Use AC3 encoder for PCM sound" in Reclock configuration.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom