1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

playback problem with SONY DAV SC5

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by nowonda, Nov 15, 2004.

1. nowonda

nowonda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all.

just got a one-in-all system SONY DAV SC5. all seems fine for now playing original DVDs. but i've also tried to play a copied DVD (a backup) and tha player accepts it, but the image and the sound freezes once every 10-20 sec or so...

anyone has any ideea why this happens? is it a "piracy" protection froms SONY (if smth like this exist..) or just a low quality DVD or badly writing operation?

hope anyone has any ideea. thanks in advance.

2. MikeyB123

MikeyB123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have same system and have noticed DVD suddenly stops playing and requires player to be switched off then on again starting from beginning then use select scene to get back where it was originally. also the remote refuses to work when the DVD freezes . This is on an original disc. I don,t know whether it is a problem with disc or player. I am hoping its the DVD disc that is faulty. The digital tape counter freezes as well.

3. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The sound and image freezing on your backup disc is usually caused by using poorer quality recording media or incompatibilty between the DVD recorder and disc. Its normally called jitter. I'd recommend trying some better more compatible recording media like Riteks and Philips -R's aint too bad either.

Freezing in one place in the movie normally suggests a scratch or mark on the dvd.

hth

4. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sony all in one as a second system and have this problem with even brand new top quality discs. Turning the whole thing off is the only way to solve it but it takes it about 80 secs to respond to pressing the off button on the remote!

5. enricokael2005

enricokael2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Same thing happens on my Sony Sr2 system and on brand
    new DVDs.

Shawshank Redemption, Pitch Black and Star Wars Episode V
    discs are the worst.

Sony's repair fixed it and it's OK now...

6. thewul

thewul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    their is a modification for the sc5 to cure locking up, freezing and stuck in st by get intouch with your local sony agent for repair foc if under guarantee :)

7. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Do you have any more info on this fix as I am getting this with most discs even originals.... It will play fine for approx 30 mins and then start to stutter or lock up completely. I know its the DVD player as I have a NS430 and this plays the same CD fine.

Any more info would be much appreciated. My player is out of warranty but I will still have a word with Sony UK and see what they have to say. Need to find out what to say to them though :)

8. MikeyB123

MikeyB123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had to put system in for repair under guarantee due to constant problems of DVD play freezing leaving no functions available. Quoted 6 weeks until I get system back. Very disapointed.Expected better from SONY.Using a portable tablet Next base DVD player plugged into TV, plays DVD's fine.How embarrassing.

9. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to show the flipside of sony's all in one's, I've had a DAVS888 for about a year and a half without any problems at all. You guy's may just be unlucky and bought a unit from a bad batch. It's played everything i've thrown at it.

10. MikeyB123

MikeyB123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    System now back from Sony repairers ,not bad 20 days. Apparently they replaced the IC (whatever that is) Sony shop had no idea.However it plays properly now fingers crossed.