Playback of HD recording whilst still recording!!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mr. shr, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not sure if this has been covered already, but does anyone else get this:

Was recording Sorted on BBCHD between 9-10PM.

At about 9:30 decided to start watching the show from the begining so went into planner, selected the show (which was still recorded) and entered a viewer defined start time of 2 mins (to bypass the end of the last show and the trailers between shows).
    Anyway, the picture came up but was jerky and the sound was dropping in and out regularly. Completely unwatchable.
    I can only assume that because the box was still recording a HD show, it does not have enough processing power to continue recording whilst letting me play back the already recorded portion.

But it's only HD.
    Tried the same thing with Holby tonight. Recorded it (between 8 and 9PM) and at about half eight, decided to start watching from the begining. The box didn't have a problem doing this at all. But when the programme being recorded is in HD it wont let me start the recording from the begining.

Now that it's finished recording, I can watch it from the start no probs.

So has anyone else found this? (Appologies if this is old news)

2. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I've watched other HD recordings while making a new one without any problems, but never the same one as I'm watching, could be a problem...

John.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Never had a problem watching any of the 20/20 games I record in HD then watched with about 30 minutes delay and testing with The Aviator just now I can record and timeshift no problem.

Perhaps a BBC issue or a hard drive problem in your box?

Just manually recorded some of the BBC preview, can play back perfectly whilst recording.

4. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Did the same as you last night with Sorted. Did not do the viewer defined start time though. Watched it fine.

5. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's still doing it but only on HD channels. Here's what I do:

Select any channel,
    press record twice (this starts recording the show from that point onwards.)
    Then after a few seconds of recording, I go into the planner and select the currently recording show to start from the begining.

Eventually the picture comes up but it's all jerky and the sound stops and starts in regular intervals. This is only the case with HD channels. It works fine with SD stuff.

Just tried it with whatever's on SkyOne HD at the moment. It's not even a proper HD show, just some upscaled stuff but it still didn't like it. But the same procedure with recording an SD channel is fine.

I do notice in the above procedure that if an HD channel is recording, the EPG is very slow at responding and it takes a lot longer to get into the planner menu. But whilst an SD channel is recording the menus come up at the usual speed. That's why I thought it might be a processing power thing as the CPU is working harder when recording/decoding HD material. But I guess that can't be the problem if other people are not having the same problem.

Gonna switch box of at the wall for a bit and restart to see if that makes a difference.

6. Mighty Chipster

Mighty Chipster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    reboot your box and try again?

7. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK just restarted the box and tried it all again.

Seems to be working fine now. The EPG is just as smooth and quick even if I'm recording an HD channel.

So I guess the box needs resetting once in a while. This is only the second time I have had to pull the plug on my box since 1st June so not that bad really.