Playback issue of captured AVI's on my Laptop

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by DpM, Sep 14, 2007.

1. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +948
    Hi all, just got back from a week in Malta and have been useing my camcorder a fair bit. I have waited till this point to also transfer all the other bits I have recorded when I first got the cam as I wanted to finish the whole first tape before transfering. I have now captured the 2 tapes I have used. When I play the AVI's on the PC they do not want to run at the correct speed. They either run too fast or crawl along, the audio plays at the correct speed though. The cam I use id the DCR-HC47E, although cant see it being the cam, could it be my laptop having issues? Or possibly media player (maybe a codec issue)?

My laptop specs are as follows.
    Pentium 4 HT 2.8 Ghz
    512mb RAM
    NVidia GeForce FX Go5200 64MB

I was told by a friend that this should be fine to edit the footage etc, not that I have got that far as yet! Just wanted to sort out the playback of the raw files before I spend hours editing to find that the issue then arrises on the finished article.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

2. vib ribbon

vib ribbon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi,

What media player are you using to play back these .avi files? - Is it Windows Media player - if so, which version.

Only asking because I sometimes have issues with Windows Media player and various formats of video files.

You could try using a different media player to see if it is windows media player giving you problems. A good (and free) one I would recommend is called VLC Player - just do a search for it in google. It plays pretty much everything you can throw at it, so its pretty good and versatile to boot.

I would have thought with that spec you shouldn't have any problem playing back your video files.

3. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +948
    Thanks.
    My media player is 11. Just tried Nero Showtime and VLC Player and both play OK for the first 10 seconds then stutter.
    Back the the drawing board.

4. glesgaguyav

glesgaguyav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Sounds like it could be a data transfer rate problem, are you capturing to your system drive IE C: drive ? most capture program default to somewhere on your system drive, Ideally you should capture to a separate drive or partition on your C: drive, you could try defragmenting the Hard Drive it may help

5. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +948
    I am capturing to the D: partition on my hard drive. I have only rebuilt the PC in the last month, it does not need defragmenting. Im going to try the AVI's on my mum's laptop either later or tomorrow, ill copy them to a portable hard drive to transport them.

6. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +948
    Does anyone think it could be the captureing software? Im useing a small program called WinDV think it would be worth trying Vegas?

7. Paul_Maycock

Paul_Maycock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the rpm of your hard disk? Is it 5400rpm or 7200rpm? If it's 5400rpm then that could be causing the problem.

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Unlikely..Saying that you could capture with Windows movie maker or even Nero Vision to see if it makes a difference
    WinDV is gennerally OK though
    Vegas is as well but I think the problem may be a bit more hardware/ Windows settings related. Many laptops can import video at 5400rpm if windows is set up properly
    On way of testing the HDD is to capture and play them back from a 7200 rpm USB2 ext HDD

9. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +948
    Thanks for the replys.
    My drive is 7200rpm. I have been playing around with Vegas most of the afternoon and the files seem to play OK for a while untill I start to edit together more than 5 minutes then is stutters a fair bit. After one play through is seems to recover though and play OK, so basicly at the min im creating my project and every so ofter running through it twice to see if its ok. I think it must be a memory issue with the onboard graphics card. I think ill have to finish this first effort then see what happens when I burn it to DVD. This method will surfice if the end product works ok untill funds allow me to get a new desktop machine that is.