1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playback from a Nebula recorded .mpg file

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sapper, Nov 12, 2004.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Please help/advise if possible.

I have worked out how to use the nebula card to record freeview digitv, well its not that difficult now is it :smashin:

However, whilst I can play the mpg file with the nebula software, I cannot get MS Medial play to play the file, it comes up with a 'codec' error message.

Any suggestions?

Adrian

2. X-Factor

X-Factor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure but it's probably because Nebula records mpegs in broadcast format not dvd format. The latest versions of the software allow you to convert or direct record in dvd format.

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141

Thanks for that. I consequently tried to convert the recording files into DVD format. Still Windows Media player was complaining ablout a missing CODEC.

It would be good to be able to convert files into generic media players rather than just having to use Nebula software. It will make distribution easier.

Will call Nebual next week but ....

Adrian

4. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    sapper
    if you download the latest version of the DigiTV software, it has some additional tools to help convert the mpegs from transport stream (ts) into program stream (ps) which is the format most mpeg players like.

The current version is 3.11 Build 3 however, on their website there are later beta versions.

Mike

p.s. Just had a look at the beta 4 version. The tools allow conversion to dvd format.
    It does appear to have some other glaring bugs in this version tho'......

5. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thanks Mike,

I have down loaded and installed the latest version of the beta software, v3.12 beta 4.

Settings:

Recordings: seleted DVD authoring format.

But whist trying to open the resulting mpeg file, I still get the codec error message...

"one or more codecs required to play cannot be found.

:-(

Which software is best for editing the resulting Mpeg ? for example I record a programe, but want to edit it down eg a friend was on TV so i wanted to send him just the bit of him?

Adrian

6. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,147
    Which version of media player do you have? SEries 9 or 10 should be well capable of playing the dvd format versions. I ply mine back in PowerDVD, which means I can watch one recording while recording with the DigiTV card.

As for editing, I have Nero 6 which has an editing suite in it. Nebula have an editing suite as part of its future enhancements in the software, but don't hold out much hope on that!!

Mike C what bugs in beta 4 have you found?

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If it says you're missing a CODEC, then err... you're missing the appropriate codec to play MPEG2 files. You must not have DVD player software installed, or if you do, the filters are not registered properly in windows. If you're looking for a codec that can play the native nebula files without conversion, i find the elecard ones to be very good, and play them inside of Zoomplayer (much more flexible and powerful than Media Player for video files).
    I believe the lateast PowerDVD and NVidia codecs will also play Transport Streams.

8. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Sorted.

Installed a DVD viewer package and now I can play back the mpeg files...

need to determine which software package i shouild get for watching DVD's on my media box...

Thanks for your help

Adrian