Playback Control (pbc)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TOM ALLEN, Mar 23, 2003.

1. TOM ALLEN

TOM ALLEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Guys & Gals, I have a Sony 725d dvd player, chipped for multiregion, however it will not play vcd's, it advises "NO DISC". In the user manual it mentions PBC but does say how to turn it off, my mate has a cheap player & he could see the chapter page but could not get it to play , however I noticed a PBC button on the remote, pressed same & it now works. So, does anyone know how I can play VCD'S? Thanks in advance ......:D

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    As far as I know - the problem with Sony DVDs is NOT that they won't/can't play VCDs. It is that they can't play CD-Rs. If your VCD is a 'homemade' item, burnt onto a CD-R - your problem lies there, and there is nothing you can do to make the Sony play it. It's not 'hackable' - it's a hardware issue.

You have two choices:

1: Copy the VCD onto a CD-RW blank (using your PC's CD burner) OR
    2: Buy another DVD player with CD-R abilities.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I agree with Nigel, the 725 is officially not CD-R compatible due to the lack of a dual-laser mechanism.
    Given that we have to conclude it won't play your "camcorder home video footage". ;)

4. TOM ALLEN

TOM ALLEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A Big thanks to Nigel & Reiner, had an idea that was the case :( ah well, back to the drawing board.

5. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a DVD player I picked up in China and it has PBC. Only problem is that the manual is in Chinese. Please could someone elighten me as to what it actually does.

Thanks

Crocodile JD

6. TOM ALLEN

TOM ALLEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Crocodile, don't really know myself, my sony has it but no button on the remote, however it says in the manual "version1.1 without pbc cfunctions, version2.0 video cd's with pbc functions play interactive software using menu screens displayed on the tv screen (pbc playback) in addition to the video playback functions of ver.1.1 discs. Moreover, you can play high resolution still pictures, if they are included on the disc. ...on a video cd with pbc functions , the menu screens moving pictures & still pictures are divided into sections calleds scenes. Each scene is assigned a scene number enabling you to locate the scene you want....phew!!:mad: My mate has a cheap chinese player, his remote has a button marked pbc, when trying some discs they would not work, i.e. until I pressed this button:D hope this load of ........ helps.