Playable Media Formats FoxsatPVR with Media Bundle 4.04

hal8000

Established Member
Reaction score
I just ftp'd a few jpg images across to my Foxsat PVR which is flashed with Reydons Media Bundle 4.04

What is the maximum size for Images?
Tried a 2000x3000 pixel jpg image which did not display. Only the file name appeared on tv screen and the LED display of the humax, the rest of the screen was black.

I'm using HDMI connector and Foxsat set at 1080i, my TV can display a full 1080p. 1920x1440 jpg's and smaller can be displayed, is it the HiDef mode e.g. 1080i that sets maximum resolution of the displayable image?

Regarding video, what formats will the foxsat play? The foxsat manual says MPEG2 and MPEG4, so unless there are different codecs, I suppose it wont play a wmv recording unless I convert it first. Thanks in advance.

Dunno about JPGs, any video will need converting with AV2HDR.

The media bundle is more about playing files on OTHER devices e.g. HDR->Network->PC/ipad, not playing other content via HDR->HDMI->TV.

If you go HDR->Network->PC then you can play any kind of video probably and any size photo, I think you misunderstand the purpose of the bundle.

My usages of the bundle will be fairly typical :
- watch recordings made on the HDR on PC without any conversion
- watch recordings made on the HDR on my bedroom TV, using a media player
- quickly transfer recordings en-masse from my HDR to my PC so I can convert them to MP4 and remove adverts

Very few people transfer onto the HDR, but the added network connectivity in the bundle helps greatly if you do want to do that and use AV2HDR as per previous poster.

I'm having the same issue as hal8000.

The HDR offers (as a specific facility) the ability to upload jpeg photos for viewing as a 'slideshow'' so it seems somewhat silly that anyone should suggest that "very few people transfer onto the HDR" as swedish cook does.

I've transferred all my jpegs (taken on an older HP digital camera) onto the HDR, but unfortunately most simply do not display - 'this file is not supported' is the flag that comes up..

Its very frustrating, and help from a boffin would be appreciated?

Not sure what the maximun size is, my hdr will display 12megapixel images from my dslr but the load time is very long. Best performance is achieved by cropping to 16:9 and resampling to 1920 x 1080. Once cropped you can use a photo editor like Photoshop to resample the images in a batch job.

I don't bother normally as I burn my images as a slide show to a AVCHD slide show on a DVD blank and play these back in 1920 x 1080 using a BD player.

Only jpegs work, presumably you are copying to the music/photo partition. You can't put them in the video folder.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Grahamthompson.

I'm pretty challenged by computer technology and its operation, and much of the terminology on here is way above my abilty.. but I have understood your point about reducing the size of the files if I want to use the HDR photo facility. It sounds like a lot of hard work though. My partners camera (a lumix) produces high quality jpeg images which the HDR displays without any problems.

I find the handbook supplied with the Foxsat a bit inadequate in some respects.

Can I plug my laptop into the HDR and use it in the same way as using a portable HD?

Can I plug my laptop into the HDR and use it in the same way as using a portable HD?

No USB comes in two flavours. One end has to be a host controller the other a device controller. The hdr is a host controller so is your PC. So you can connect USB devices (USB mass storage devices like pen drives and hard discs) to a host like your laptop or the hdr but you can't connect a PC direct to a hdr as both are host devices.

Easy way to tell, host controllers normally have the flat connectors, the device end has the square type connectors. In the case of camcorders, Kindles etc the usb connector will often be a mini type (two commonly used).

The user guide doesn't tell you a lot that's why we are here

Last edited:
Thankyou grahamthompson, your explanation is clear regarding USBs.

I read in an another thread that there are several operational benefits from using 'mediabundle 4.04'.

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to get 4.04 into the foxsat in the first instance. I thought all relevant software upgrades were automatically installed during periods of standby.

You probably appreciate that I'm 'new at this lark' :)

And I had hoped that ditching Murdoch's Sky would be a straightforward idiot proof process..

Thankyou grahamthompson, your explanation is clear regarding USBs.

I read in an another thread that there are several operational benefits from using 'mediabundle 4.04'.

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to get 4.04 into the foxsat in the first instance. I thought all relevant software upgrades were automatically installed during periods of standby.

You probably appreciate that I'm 'new at this lark' :)

And I had hoped that ditching Murdoch's Sky would be a straightforward idiot proof process..

Raydons excellent patch is mainly for streaming already recorded content from the hdr across a home network to a suitable destination not vice versa.

Replay of jpegs and mp3's is supported without the modified firmware, the mod saves you having to record to a usb drive and transferring the drive from PC to HDR.

Raydon's other masterpiece AV2HDR allows import of video not recorded on the hdr either by USB (no mods to the standard software) or directly from your PC (which needs the firmware patch). These then play back as if you recorded them on the box.

To load it you have to use a USB pen drive the same way as you can update the standard firmware. It's not a Humax supported modification so not available as an over the air update. If you don't understand what it does or how, probably best to stick to the standard software. It does need at least a basic knowledge of networking PC's (about my level).

Last edited:
Raydons excellent patch is mainly for streaming already recorded content from the hdr across a home network to a suitable destination not vice versa.

Replay of jpegs and mp3's is supported without the modified firmware, the mod saves you having to record to a usb drive and transferring the drive from PC to HDR.

Raydon's other masterpiece AV2HDR allows import of video not recorded on the hdr either by USB (no mods to the standard software) or directly from your PC (which needs the firmware patch). These then play back as if you recorded them on the box.

To load it you have to use a USB pen drive the same way as you can update the standard firmware. It's not a Humax supported modification so not available as an over the air update. If you don't understand what it does or how, probably best to stick to the standard software. It does need at least a basic knowledge of networking PC's (about my level).

The other big benefit from the mod is that you can transfer Pictures across to the HDR quicker than using USB, why would you want to go through the slow import process of the HDRs USB import feature when you can drag and drop via Samba instead you are then only limited by the speed of your connection from your computer to the Router, 100mbps from PC to HDR trough an ethernet connection to the Router or the 802.11 b/g/n Wireless speed to the Router then 100mbps out of Router to HDR, even if the HDRs USB Ports are USB 2.0 you are still hampered by the speed that you can physically import with the HDRs Software.

Roland

I just ftp'd a few jpg images across to my Foxsat PVR which is flashed with Reydons Media Bundle 4.04

What is the maximum size for Images?
Tried a 2000x3000 pixel jpg image which did not display. Only the file name appeared on tv screen and the LED display of the humax, the rest of the screen was black.

I'm using HDMI connector and Foxsat set at 1080i, my TV can display a full 1080p. 1920x1440 jpg's and smaller can be displayed, is it the HiDef mode e.g. 1080i that sets maximum resolution of the displayable image?

You might be better mapping the HDR as a Network drive to your computer \\FOXSAT-HDR\Media and then using drag and drop into Photo,

The other big benefit from the mod is that you can transfer Pictures across to the HDR quicker than using USB, why would you want to go through the slow import process of the HDRs USB import feature when you can drag and drop via Samba instead you are then only limited by the speed of your connection from your computer to the Router, 100mbps from PC to HDR trough an ethernet connection to the Router or the 802.11 b/g/n Wireless speed to the Router then 100mbps out of Router to HDR, even if the HDRs USB Ports are USB 2.0 you are still hampered by the speed that you can physically import with the HDRs Software.

Roland

I suspect that this post will completely baffle the OP.

In any case for jpeg photographs the amount of data compared to video is totally trivial, any speed increase will be tiny and not noticeable. There is no need to import anyway even the USB port can replay HD video content direct from USB (even encrypted) let alone the tiny amount of data from still jpegs. 1GB might be a small amount of video, it's an enormous number of still jpegs from even a high res DSLR.

The slow replay is nothing to do with usb speeds, it's the overhead required to rescale the photographs to fit the screen. You are confusing export of video content over usb compared to ftp which is not what we are discussing here.

You might be better mapping the HDR as a Network drive to your computer \\FOXSAT-HDR\Media and then using drag and drop into Photo,

Mapping? Eh?

Are you saying that I can install the foxsat HD onto my laptop so that it behaves as an additional drive?

How to do instructions would be helpful if its not too difficult.

Mapping? Eh?

Are you saying that I can install the foxsat HD onto my laptop so that it behaves as an additional drive?

How to do instructions would be helpful if its not too difficult.
Ensure you have installed samba on the HDR then open Windows Explorer on your laptop.
Select 'Tools/Map Network Drive' from the drop down menu. Select a free drive letter and in 'Folder' enter '\\Foxsat-HDR\Media'. Click 'Finish' and your done.

Last edited:
I suspect that this post will completely baffle the OP.

In any case for jpeg photographs the amount of data compared to video is totally trivial, any speed increase will be tiny and not noticeable. There is no need to import anyway even the USB port can replay HD video content direct from USB (even encrypted) let alone the tiny amount of data from still jpegs. 1GB might be a small amount of video, it's an enormous number of still jpegs from even a high res DSLR.

The slow replay is nothing to do with usb speeds, it's the overhead required to rescale the photographs to fit the screen. You are confusing export of video content over usb compared to ftp which is not what we are discussing here.

I was pointing out that copying Pictures to the HD via USB compared to using Samba is slower as you can select 10 pictures in windows explorer and drag them to the photos folder on the HD quicker than copying them onto a pen drive then copying them 1 by 1 into the Photos folder on the HD about 2-3 mins Network speed dependent compared with 5+ mins using a Pen drive, If you have got pictures on a camera obviously it's quicker to copy them via USB than having to boot up computer, copy photos to computer then copy via Samba to Foxsat.

Importing video via Pen drive or External HDD is going to be slower than using FTP, but there is still the conversion to the .ts file and creation of the HDRs control files as well.

Playing back a video file via the USB is not going to be as smooth as via the internal drive as there is the read speed of the USB HDD or the quality of the Pen drive to take into account, also the max speed of the USB controller which is fine for SD content but for the Encrypted HD content is might cause some trouble as USB is nowhere near as fast as an EIDE or SATA connection and also the AV HDD in the Foxsat will probably have a far superior read speed than a standard HDD, only when SSD Dsiks become bigger and cheaper will using USB for HD Video be smoother.

Roland

Playing back a video file via the USB is not going to be as smooth as via the internal drive as there is the read speed of the USB HDD or the quality of the Pen drive to take into account, also the max speed of the USB controller which is fine for SD content but for the Encrypted HD content is might cause some trouble as USB is nowhere near as fast as an EIDE or SATA connection and also the AV HDD in the Foxsat will probably have a far superior read speed than a standard HDD, only when SSD Dsiks become bigger and cheaper will using USB for HD Video be smoother.

Roland

Complete rubbish, the read speed for USB 2.0 even on slow pen drives is way faster than the data transfer for full HD 1080i playback on the hdr.

A faster read capability will not have any effect at all on playback quality.

A faster write capability will merely reduce copy times for the same amount of data.

Even copying to USB is faster than real time (about 4 x real time with my archive drive).

Replay from usb is identical to replay from the internal HDD, why would it be any different ?. Any shortfall in data transfer would be immediately obvious resulting in heavy pixellation or total loss of video. Digital either works 100% or not at all. Anything in between is very obvious.

I can replay HD content from my HD camcorder with a bitrate of up to 28mbps (about 4 x times used for broadcast TV) thanks to AV2HDR over usb. This is thanks to Raydons AV2HDR.

How do you come up with these wierd theories ?

Last edited:
Ensure you have installed samba on the HDR then open Windows Explorer on your laptop.
Select 'Tools/Map Network Drive' from the drop down menu. Select a free drive letter and in 'Folder' enter '\\Foxsat-HDR\Media'. Click 'Finish' and your done.

I have found samba and it now sits in my portable HD. It is 'unpacked' and is incomprehensible to me. I have absolutely no idea how to get it into the HDR..

I should have stuck to golf and fishing which at least offer a degree of leisure and only a little frustration.

I have found samba and it now sits in my portable HD. It is 'unpacked' and is incomprehensible to me. I have absolutely no idea how to get it into the HDR..

You do not do this, once the bundle firmware is loaded and assuming your PC and the HDR are connected to your home network, all you need to to is

1. Point PC at "http://foxsat-hdr/"
2. On the web page that appears click Package Management
3. On the "Available" tab just click to install Samba

The guys have done a fantastic job at making it really easy !

You do not do this, once the bundle firmware is loaded and assuming your PC and the HDR are connected to your home network, all you need to to is

1. Point PC at "http://foxsat-hdr/"
2. On the web page that appears click Package Management
3. On the "Available" tab just click to install Samba

The guys have done a fantastic job at making it really easy !
Not quite. Till samba is installed there is no nmb service running to resolve the hostname. Until it is, you must access the HDR using it's IP address, not the hostname. So you must first determine the IP address of the HDR and enter this in the browser address bar. i.e. "http://192.168.0.8"

Not quite. Till samba is installed there is no nmb service running to resolve the hostname. Until it is, you must access the HDR using it's IP address, not the hostname. So you must first determine the IP address of the HDR and enter this in the browser address bar. i.e. "http://192.168.0.8"

Thats a good point ! And you can get the IP address using your HDR remote by pressing Menu, select System on left, select Network on right.

christ on a bike!

I've looked through the HDR handbook for guidance on connecting to the internet and found nothing of value..

However, it is connected (with an ethernet lead) to the wireless router so we can use the BBC iplayer.

As for an IP address for the HDR?? Where is it?

What is it with this anorak world of incomprehensibly baffling language and runes?

All I want is to be able to make best use of this new box that sits under the telly as a Sky replacement.

christ on a bike!

I've looked through the HDR handbook for guidance on connecting to the internet and found nothing of value..

However, it is connected (with an ethernet lead) to the wireless router so we can use the BBC iplayer.

As for an IP address for the HDR?? Where is it?

What is it with this anorak world of incomprehensibly baffling language and runes?

All I want is to be able to make best use of this new box that sits under the telly as a Sky replacement. :)

Thankyou swedish cook. That is useful knowledge.

No probs, appreciate even the words "IP address" are completely alien to the majority of the population, but on forums like this we sling it around as if it was as plain as "The cat sat on the mat".

Stick with it - the guys have done a fantastic job of making the modifications user friendly.

in our home we use the PC for Epay and idly reading forums, little else. knowledge base therefore limited.

Thanks for understanding

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom