1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play247.com - My opinions

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Sep 7, 2000.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Having read many of the other people's comments regarding the quality (or lack of) service with Play247.com, I would like to add this into the melting pot, for others to devour:

Firstly, I have never placed an order via this company, so can offer no judgement on the quality of the service, or lack of it. However, having looked at their site, and tried searching for various R1 DVD's, I have to admit to being disappointed!

Why? Well, the "Leon/Professional: International Version" DVD was out of stock! The search-engine couldn't locate Lucio Fulci's horror-epic "The Beyond" in any version, when it comes out on 26th Septemeber; nor could it locate a Japanese anime called "Kite", nor could it locate "Storm Of The Century" - the Stephen King min-series on DVD.

Having already got these discs in my own R1 collection, I know that they exist, so when a company claims they don't (for whatever reason), I don't think that highly of them

As for their prices, from what I have seen, only a small percentage of the discs save you a substantial amount. "Toy Story 1 and 2 double-disc set" at £17-99 and the "Hellraiser/Hellbound" set as well, seem too good to be true. I have pre-ordered the "Hellraiser" set from my supplier at a cost of £33-07. Yes, it is a lot of money, but I can not see how Play247 can send you this disc at nearly 50% less, and still make a profit. Discounts are one thing, but these seems ludicrous. I will be very interested to learn of what actually happens to anyone who has ordered the "Hellraiser" set, and when they get it through their front-doors, find out what they have been charged. I'm also curious to know if the set they are advertising at £17-99 is the Limited Edition twin-disc set, in a Metal Tin, or a different edition of this film set. The price seems to lead me to think it is NOT this version that they will be sending out!

Sorry to be such a pessimist, but their prices literally seem too far fetched.

As for my supplier, I use "DC-DVD". Their site is simple, and none-too-fussy, but gives plenty of detail on most R1 discs. Their site is at: www.dc-dvd.co.uk

Their prices are by no means the cheapest, nor is their service the fastest, but it is reliable and gives quality. Out of every single disc I have ordered from them, (which is about 40 DVD's so far), I have only ever had to return one. (The DVD case was sealed with the shrink wrap, and the security barcode label on the top, but contained no DVD.)

Anyway, all of this is simply an opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Pooch.

2. alan

alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought id air my thoughts.
    From what I can tell Play deal in the top sellers and new releases....stuff they know are going to sell.they keep most of their titles in stock so it makes sense not to be sitting on some obscure titles that may not sell.
    When I say obscure i am not knocking your taste in films,just saying play need to keep a high turnover.

Play have come in for a bit of stick as of late and I must say I have always been happy with their service.

Only once was I left waiting for a title (Abyss r1...cracking),the reason I did not get it on time was down to a postal strike that I did not know about.One email to play and they sent out another copy....needless to say the postal strike ended and both copies turned up on the same day.
    And yes I did pay for the second copy...gave it to my brother...althogh I did think about keeping quiet.

And I am waiting on t2 but thats not down to them.....and its not like anyone hasnt seen it already.(apart from the never seen before footage....err you know what I mean)

------------------
    Hey Jenny Slater. Hey Jenny Slater. Hey Jenny Slater.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i ordered t2 ue from play 247 and i ended up cancelling the order and ordering it from express.com.

it works perfect on mines, i did order a couple of dvd from play247.com and i waited 4-5 days.

but some of there prices are too cheap, i think some of it is to get people attratced to there site.

------------------

4. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    Play are an excellent company,i have never had any problems and have recieved well over 50 dvds from them,i got my t2 ultimate edition yesterday and only costing 17.99.

------------------
    DO OR DO NOT...THERE IS NO TRY....

5. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Play are obviously selling some titles at a loss in order to get people buying from them.
    Other titles costing $7 are being sold for £17. They make up the losses with profit from other titles.
    There is no skulduggery, there is no conspiracy. They are just pricing some titles at a loss.
    Anyone know how many people are involved with the play organisation? How many employees? It could be 50, it could be 3. That often explains why databases are not bang up to date with the most obscure titles.
    I don't want to defend play in particular - I'm not a customer. I just think you should consider these factors to play, DVD boxoffice, amazon, dvd express, movietyme, dvd-depot etc etc.

6. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too must have ordered at least 50 plus DVD's from Play247 and have never had a single problem. Also very good is DVDmod. They sell some R1 such as The 10th Kingdom which Play247 do not sell. In my opinion play are an excellent company.

7. James

James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In defence of Play - I have used them many times, and I also use a range of US and Canadian companies (DVD Box Office, CD Universe, A&B Sound). While the US/Canadian companies are usually cheaper, you have to accept the inevitable long postage times (unless you wish to pay a fortune to FedEx) and the difficulty of replacing discs if they are faulty.

Play have been consistently excellent in my experience. No, they don't stock every US disc, but that is because they aren't a personal importation service - they hold actual stock, and understandably limit that to the more mainstream titles that aren't likely to gather dust for months.

Their pricing is totally above board - as mentioned in another post on this thread, they accept that certain discs are loss leaders, and recoup that loss across their entire catalogue. The £17.99 price tag is to avoid customs, and is why Play rarely stock box sets. And you do only pay £17.99 for discs.

Their customer service is first class - a disc that I ordered did not turn up after two weeks, and when I told Play, they dispatched another free of charge that day. A copy of Three Kings that I had bought three months before but finally got around to watching turned out to be faulty - when I told them they dispatched a replacement before I had even sent the faulty one back. And they refunded my postage.

Don't forget as well that they are a very cheap R2 supplier - £15.99 discs are £11.99 at Play, and £19.99 ones are £14.99. I've just received MiB LE for £17.99 delivered - at least £2 cheaper than anywhere else (online or otherwise).

My advice - if you want the Toy Story boxset, order it from Play. You WILL get it, and you WILL pay £17.99.

8. Brian H

Brian H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I've only used PLAY I've looked at the other sight s and just didn't feel as comfortable I've had bargains and I've been stiffed (due to my own lack of care) but overall I think they are a top notch company and I intend to stick with them for the forseeable future..yes there are a few cheaper companies around but I've found Play (t2 aside and even then there was a reason) excellent and reliable

9. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    More Play defence ...
    I have used them several times without problem ...
    The reason they sell the likes of T2 so cheap is to keep under the £18 mark which keeps UK Customs at bay ...
    I dont think they are making a loss on it even, just a bit less profit than the others (I couldnt find it in the States or Canada for under £20) ...
    I will keep buying from them and intend to start ordering music CD's from them - their chart stuff is £8.99 delivered! Rock on ...
    Paul

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

10. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I find it difficult to see how you can knock a company when you have used them before. I've had around 30 discs from Play with no problems at all. The prices shown are always the proces you pay and then even upgraded the Toy Story 2 disc anyone ordered to the 2 disc set for no extra charge. I have found no one better for service.

11. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

How daft is PoochJD ( sorry mate but u r ). By your own words u say u have never ordered from PLAY and then you run them into the ground, im sorry but thats not much of a starting point for an argument.

First let me start with my view. I have order near to 60 DVDs from PLAY, and used them long B4 they had the internet site set up. There customer service is second to none, ever single e-mail I have sent has been answered promtly with a day and usually with a few hours. The prices they charge are just very very good prices and yes in places may be a bit unbelieveable. I have to agree that the TOY STORY and HELLRAISER 2 Disc sets do seem to good to be true and if I do have any problems I will be the first to let you know, but from past experience I think they will deliver. I thinks it is all down to the number they can supply and works along a similar way as letsbuyit.com.

I agree that they do not have every single disc that is availbale and do tend to focus more on the new release movies than older back cataloge titles. I have just tried to order the 3rd man which was not listed, but rather than throw mt dummy out the pram ill e-mail them and see if they can get hold of the film. They also seem to focus more on the popular movies which gives some backing to my argument on how they can sell at such low prices.

In a recent visit to Paris shops on the street were selling R1 american DVDs for the equivalant of about £19 and I iamgine they are making at least a 25 to 30 % margin of profit on them. We all know that the over heads on an internet company are less than for a high street shop and that most new releases can be purchased in the states for the equivalant of about £15 to £17 pounds. Now if PLAY can buy in 1000 copies of the R1 limited T2 DVD ( I imagine they sold many more than that ) for £15 ( I imagine it was probably less than this ) then they would still make over £3000 from this one movie alone. I also honestly believe, and this is from my experience in retail, that with titles like the two disc sets @ 17.99 they would be willing to sell at little or no profit just to get people seeing how good they are.

PoochJD give them a chance, oreder something that they do have, lots of the new releases coming up they are selling for £14.99 or £15.99. I am actually very very tempted to say order the HELLRASISER set from them and if you dont get it within a week of release then I will give you the £17.99 myself.

Please see my post over in the GENERAL FORUM about how I get wound up by impatient people. People who would rather spend an extra £10 to get a film as early as possible.

[This message has been edited by DuncanWardle (edited 12-09-2000).]

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    Duncan, I'd get that £17.99 ready if I were you...well, if the Hellraiser tin hadn't already SOLD OUT at Play.

Anyway, a little bit of info about Play and Anchor Bay, the co responsible for the R1/R0 releases of Hellraiser, Evil Dead 2, The Beyond, Repo Man etc etc....Nobody is gonna get their Hellraiser Tin from Play within a week of release (and I'm one of them) because of a little bit of history regarding Anchor Bay and Play. No disc released by Anchor Bay has ever been in stock at Play in under 3 weeks from release, in fact, the usual amount of time for a new-release AB title to come into stock is 4-6 weeks. It's a supply chain problem, and one that I've learnt to deal with after my initial frustrations when I first noticed this happening. A shining example is the Repo Man THX disc, released 22nd August and still not in stock. It's just one of those things. I'm patient, but I know a lot of people won't be, and in a couple of weeks I expect I'll see a lot of moans about "where's my Hellraiser tin from Play?" popping up in newsgroups/forums everywhere and I would imagine all the Play-bashing is gonna get right on your nerves, so keep your eyes peeled cos I KNOW this is gonna happen. And I'll eat my hard drive if anything any different happens. I use Play a lot myself, but I'd no more buy all my discs from one supplier any more than I'd buy all my clothes from one shop. Over the last year I'd estimate I've saved well over £200 just by shopping around. But then I've got the time and the taste in films that necessitates having to do that as Play's database doesn't hold a lot of the "obscure" titles that I like.

A little wager now....I've got The Beyond limited edition tin (also from Anchor Bay) ordered at Amazon.com, and I bet that despite it being released a week later than the Hellraiser limited tin, that I get it from the states before my Hellraiser tin turn up IN STOCK at Play, let alone delivered to my door. In fact, I reckon The Beyond will beat it by AT LEAST 2 weeks.

I assure you I've nothing against Play, but the way you go on, people must be wondering if they give you a kickback for all the good publicity you give them!

------------------
    I don't believe in voodoo...

13. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    No kickbacks or nothing I just cant stand it when people have a dig at someone or something for no apparant or juts reason.

Like I said I have had no problems with PLAY with ordering over 60 Discs, prior to using PLAY i used to use LASER ENTERPRISES, but they stopped supply of R1 titles and I moved to PLAY. I used LASER ENTERPRISES for a good few years using them for NTSC LDs and also the purchase of my first ever R1 only
    DVD player back at the end of 97.

Regarding the HELLRAISER pack, I was until now completly unaware that they were in a tin, all I did was click add to cart when I saw the films listed a few weeks back. I care not one wit wether the films are in a standard box, a shiny tin or encased in a solid gold tea chest. I pay my money for the film and the film alone. I have 150+ titles and can not recall watching the extras on any more than three or four of them. As of yet a have not even watched or wanted to watch the second of the two discs of my T2 the only reason i purchased it was for the extended version of the film in DTS. I already own it on R1 DVD but its the normal version.

I am under the impression that a few of you out there must have very little time to actually watch the films you order seeing as you seem to be so anal in the way you have to have the limited edition this and extended version of that. Just look at the row about the DVD18 or DVD9 version of T2.

Why does it matter ?

Why cant you be more patient ?

I have the HELLRAISER tin ( as I now know it to be ) on order and as I type I have no idea for when its due to be released, except that I recall its towrads the end of the month. In a sad way it is actually quite nice returning from work and finding a film is there waiting for me.

I also buy R2 DVDs when I see a title that I would not mind watching, but I purchase these from work were I can get a good 25% discount so its not just a PLAY loyalty. I just use PLAY b'cos I have no reason not too. They provide me and lots of others with excellent customer service and good prices. Just look at titles such as FINAL DESTINATION delivered to the door for 14.99 maybe I could get it a bit cheaper but I can not be arsed with shopping around.

14. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    Whoaah there baby, I wasn't having a go!!

If I touched a nerve I'm sorry, it's just as I read your (to which I'm replying) I had this vision of a geezer towering over me waggling his finger down at me like I'd ****ed him off. Ooops! If I have I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I wasn't having a go at Play ( a supplier I'm happy with aswell) so can I wave a white flag here???

And the only reason I've got Limited edition tin boxed sets is cos I've been able to get them at very good prices (thanks to Play for the Hellraiser one), in fact better prices than the normal disc releases. Nothing to do with being a mad fanboy...

------------------

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    Phew, that's a relief.

One-upman-ship....the mind boggles. People do the strangest things....

------------------

16. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Duncan,

I may not have purchased a product from a company, but that doesn't mean that mine or anyone elses opinions are any less valid.

We all do it, whether we admit it or not! Regardless of whether it's a high street store or an on-line shop, we all make prejudgements. If these prejudgements are proven are disproven, we only find out later on, if we then use the service or buy the product.

If you went and asked 1000 people if they would ever buy a Skoda car, I should estimate that more than 900 would say "no"! If you then asked those 900 if they had actually ever owned or driven, or been in a Skoda, I should imagine the answer would once again be "no"!

If you had read my final comment, you would see that I wrote the following statement:

"Anyway, all of this is simply an opinion."

Opinion is not the same as hard, well proven facts or evidence! You wrote: "I agree that they do not have every single disc that is availbale and do tend to focus more on the new release movies than older back cataloge titles." Since when was "The Beyond" a back-catalogue title?! It hasn't been released yet!

You then wrote: "I have just tried to order the 3rd man which was not listed, but rather than throw mt dummy out the pram ill e-mail them and see if they can get hold of the film." Well, fine! Good for you! That doesn't mean to say that I, or other online shoppers will do the same thing.

I have never stated that they are a BAD or UNREPUTABLE company! I stated categorically that I had never oredered from them, so could not comment on the quality of their service. However, I am qualified (and justified) to say that I found their prices to be a little far-fetched! That in no way implies that they are far-fetched! Maybe you're more of an optimist than me. That's fine! However, we all tend to be very careful when it comes to online shopping! We all teach one another to be aware of offers that appear to be too good to be true, as they often are too good to be true! This very teaching applies with PLay247, in my opinion! Again, it is only an opinion!!

Finally, you said: "People would rather spend an extra £10 to get a film as early as possible." That doesn't apply to me! I don't spend more money to get my DVD's quicker than anyone else. When they arrive through my front door, then that is when they arrive! If after a month or so of the release date, a title has not arrived, I simply telephone or write a polite e-mail, just to make certain that nothing has gone wrong from my end!

You seem dead intent on trying to enforce your viewpoint on everyone else - that you are right, and everybody else is wrong. No! Forums are for opinions. If you are happy with Play, then stick with Play. If I find their prices a little unrealistic, and don't want to order from them, I have the right to not order from them. I also have the right to make an opinion, based on what I see.

I am happy to agree to disagree, and am in no way trying to claim that either myself, or any other contributor to this forum is more accurate or inaccurate than anybody else. We all write what we think, but not necessarily what is accurate. Play has a lot of satisfied customers, which is good. Maybe one day, I will try ordering from them, but as another guy wrote, most of the DVD's I want are more esoteric and obscure. Therefore, my priority in locating a good DVD firm, is having access to the titles I want. And I am more likely to use a company that lists titles on its website, than those that I have to submit e-mails too, just to see if it exists or if they can get hold of it.

I sincerely apologise to all of you for any offence caused, and for the extreme length of this particular posting. I hope we can all get along, and not allow our personal differences on what does or doesn't make a good DVD company, cloud our judgments. We all have one combined objective - to share opinions on DVD's and the companies that release them!

Pooch.

P.S. As for "extras" on DVD's: for me, as a Film History student and a big film fan, extras are important to me. If I was only interested in the movie, I would buy VHS. However, even if I only watch an extra just once, it is useful to know that it is there for me to watch or refer to again, at any future point. If a book has 500 pages, and you only use or read or refer to 5 out of its 16 chapters, does that make that book any less valuable to you in its use? No!

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 14-09-2000).]

17. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    You might be interested to read the feature on dvdreview.com about how Fulci's excellent The Beyond came to be rediscovered and what they went through to bring the fans (me and you!) what promises to be the best horror DVD of the year.

BTW, You didn't offend me.

------------------

18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Duncan,

You wrote: "Ill read it but i aint replying any more ( i've lost my dummy )"

I didn't realize that 1 year olds could surf the internet yet!

Did you choose the life-long vocation of being a prick, or was it something that came naturally to you?

Pooch

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 14-09-2000).]

19. logiclee

logiclee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Just back from Holiday so only just reading the thread. Have ordered around 60 DVD's from Play and around 10 CD's, the only problem I've had was the two week delay on T2 which was not entirly Plays fault.

Cheers
    Lee

------------------
    There is no spoon!

20. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    I'd say it came naturally, and it seems someone else thinks that too as they've removed his posts.

As far as I'm concerned, Mr Pooch made some very relevant points (at least as far as my film taste goes)

------------------

21. 1dazgwinn

1dazgwinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch,man chill out!,I've used Play for ages and the only problem i've had has been with T2.The problem with lot's of other firms are the charges they put onto DTS disc's, Play have always been the most competitive.Why not save yourself a few quid?