Play247 and there drop in quality over the past few months

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Feb 19, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Firstly let me just say that any opions expressed here are mine and people are free to respond how they want, I remeber a post similar to this once being butchered and deleted and I do not wish that to happen with this.

For a very long time I have been a BIG supporter of www.play247.com. I used them long b4 the web site ever apeared and have backed them up on this very forum when they have been disgraced in the past but now even I have cause to complain.

Over the past few months the service from play has gone down hill. They no longer have recorded delivery for R1 titles. I would not mind this if it did actually speed up delivery as they claim but of the 10 or so titles I have had since this new system apeared they all took a day longer than normal.

Secondly I ordered a copy of SNATCH from them shortly after it apeared on the R2 listings. It was posted last Thursday but has not arrived today ( the day its on sale in the shop ) This is think is a major bad thing. Im not asking to get the film before release date but I would apreciate getting it on the day of release. Im actually fortuante that I get a 25% discount from a major high street store so from now on ALL my R2 purchases will be from them.

They have less and less new titles for R1 listed. They used to have loads now they dont. They do not have the Criterion edition of THE ROCK nor the MUMMY special edition. There are also many more titles not listed by them.

Im sorry if this seems like a rant but I guess thats one of the joys of having a publc forum.

I have also just e-mailed them these points, so I will see what they say, they used to be very quick at responding to e-mail.

Also to any employees of Play can I just say that I have no complaints about your customer service which has always been very good

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered an R1 disc last Tuesday evening at about 8.30, it was posted on Wednesday evening and It arrived Friday morning, not too bad coming from Canada, Via who knows where else but I think Belgium as well

3. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have used Play247 for nearly all my purchases in the last 18mths and have never had much trouble except now I ordered "The Rocky horror picture show" R2 ont the 7th of Feb knowing it was released on the 12th I had ordered this for my wife as a valentines gift so hoped i would recieve it buy the 14th but No went on the website to see it was posted on the 15th (3 days after release) but it is now the 19th and still nothing bad news especially as Asda had it for £16.99 (play £17.99) but maybe its the post were i live, but sending out 3 days after release is bad news they could have emailed if they had ran out of stock's for release date. I must say though when a copy of "Moonraker" I ordered failed to turn up they sent out a replacement straight away which was good, so i do hope its just a temperary problem with there dispatch rate/times as i would like to keep using them.

4. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Yeah I was hoping it was a tempory problem too but its been going on just a little too long now.

I should have recieved SNATCH today but thats no great hardship. What I am starting to get annoyed about is what looks to be a slow move away from R1 DVD.

Play should have stuck with just DVD as since branching out there delivery of service has suffered.

Also for a company like this, who obviously have so many customers do not make any effort to have a bigger list of newer DVD titles

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    It took them 2 weeks to get their initial stock of Zombie Holocaust in.
    Personally I don't mind as I order so many discs from all over the world I rarely get anything on the exact day of release, which I'm not bothered about anyway, but can appreciate that a lot of people do mind when that happens. The only discs I've had that arrived on release day were from Blackstar, but then again they cost more.
    For me, a penny saved is a penny gained, so I'm not too peeved when something's a couple of days late just as long as I'm paying the lowest possible price for it. It's the savings that count in my books.

They are definitely reducing the R1 range though.

------------------
    I don't believe in voodoo...

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I too have used & recommended Play for the last year & a bit - I believe they have become a victim of their own sucess - They now sell CD's & Games at nice low prices & I just think they are really busy (!) B4 you ask I do not work for them ...
    As an orthodox tightarse I usually check 2 or three regular sites to see who is cheapest and order from them ... I still find it hard to comprehend how I can get stuff from absound in Canada faster than Play in Jersey (do they use rowing boats ?)
    I will still use Play - when it suits ME [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

7. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too have been a staunch Play supporter for well over a year since I started using them, but I haven't used them since before Christmas so can't really comment on their recent performance. I do however have Terminator and Meet the Parents on pre-order so I'll soon find out! [​IMG]

I've just recommended them to a friend as well so I hope they don't make me look like a wally!

Regards R1, I don't think their range was ever that extensive in the first place to be honest, but it is quite surprising to see some 'top' titles not being stocked by them.

Finally, prices. As someone mentioned, some discs can actually be obtained for a similar if not cheaper cost on the high street now (especially when part of a deal), so I think I'll be checking high street prices first b4 ordering online from now on.

Never thought I'd ever say that!!

------------------
    Everybody be cool. YOU, be cool.
    --------------------------------------
    [email protected]
    http://www.geocities.com/ptmbradley

8. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Bye bye, then.

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 23-02-2001).]

9. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    I thought i metioned the fact that yes I used to be one of the biggest PLAY supporters but now things have changed.

And can I just say how nice it is to have MRKIRK back, how have you been

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I've always been ok with Play. Still am.
    If anything, lately, my discs are here faster, in two days! Vast improvement.
    I do find that some films released are only brought onto the site a few days before that date, ie, Bless This Child , only had about a couple of weeks notice.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Well, I've only used Play 247 once, and both discs were out of stock at time of my order, and it took nearly 3 weeks to get the discs to me, which didn't impress me a great deal, especially since a lot of other people value them a great deal.

Their only saving grace, in my humble opinion, is that they often charge just £17-99 for some of the double-DVD sets and Anchor Bay stuff, that other sites charge more for.

As the service is not that speedy or reliable (with their latest change to non-recorded delivery, which means discs go through goodness-knows how many parts of the free world), and the fact that other sites also have listings for major new releases (like The Rock: 2 DVD Criterion Edition, and The Mummy: Ultimate Edition), then it hardly seems Play are as good as they used to be. Hence, I am going to blow the trumpet for www.dc-dvd.co.uk once more, and urge people to give them a try. Not the cheapest company, but with a stunning choice, reasonable prices, and a good delivery system where orders take about 5 days from order, or less if title is in stock, then I think this firm deserves more customers!

Pooch

12. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    One advantage of Play's R1 imports now routing through Belgium to the UK is that they should be able to do the big boxed sets (X-Files, ST:NG?) at a reasonable price (ie: a hefty discount), whereas before the customs charge was passed on to the consumer.

I must say I've only had one disc delayed (lets face it, it ain't the end of the world guys & gals), and since the change in routing discs on the whole have been quicker to get to me.

Another point to note is that Play did not list the 'JFK: Ollie Stone collection' disc until the week, I think, of it's release. Personally I've got a 'banker' order for Criterion's 'The Rock' in with Amazon. It'll be easy enough to cancel if Play eventually list it.

We are only talking about movies here though, just chill out a bit.

[This message has been edited by Confucius (edited 19-02-2001).]

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering what the alternative is if some people are getting disillusioned with play247.

martinc

14. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Sorry I should have been a bit less stressed when I wrote the post, yeah its not that big a deal that some of the films take ages to arrive, espescially as I have 15 titles yet to watch. What I was trying to say is that these problems never used to exist and along with the other factors mentioned it looks like now is the time for somebody to jump in and steal there thunder.

What I want is a sight like play was 12 months back. Stunning prices, fairly wide coverage of new releases ( with a good notification before release ) and regular delivery times.

If this can be achieved I think we would be on to a winner.

That or PLAY does it themselves, they should go back to JUST DVD and have slightly bigger choice.

I must admit that I do actually feel rather guilty writing this post

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Well, when I got home last night I had my copy of The Doors R1 2 disc set waiting for me, not bad considering it's not officially out til today.

------------------
    Someone paid me 30lbs of rice to take care of you and finish you off and put you in a pie.

16. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The fastest site has to be the Assuie ezydvd. How do they do it. Orders take 3/4 days.
    UK sites have no excuss. If the DVD in stock it should take no more than two days.

17. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I orederd my copy of snatch a few weeks ago and it arrived yesterday by recorded delivery, i used to use them for everything but more recently just the R2's, my R1's come from www.dvdboxoffice.com and there delivery seems to be getting quicker and they are certainly cheaper.

18. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Has your copy of Snatch arrived yet then?
    Mine was posted on the 15th. I know there will be times when I'll have to wait. It's a recorded delivery (slower), but even so, I can't wait.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

19. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    I have used Play247 for a while and will continue to for most of my R1 discs, mainly because of price. They have been a bit slower of late but the last film i ordered arrived very promptly. With R2 I tend to use Dvdstreet, Fairly quick plus strong packaging. PC World keeps offering some DVDs for £9.99 now and again(bone collector etc) and i watch out for three for two offers. I tried Dvdrapide eu two weeks ago and was amazed, I ordered tuesday night and had the film first thing thursday morning!, With a hand written note to enjoy the film!. Might try them again to see if it was a fluke

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

20. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  21. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Yup, me too!

22. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    To be fair since e-mailing them they have apologised but I still cant help thinking that they have grown quicker than they should.

Also however, in there defence, there site has now been very well updated and has 68 NEW RELEASES listed, of which I have so far ordered 24.

They do not yet have THE ROCK in stock but it is listed, along with MUMMY ULTIMATE and SUPERMAN

23. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Future Entertainment have The Rock Criterion listed as 'Now Processing' at £27.99.

Just ordered it so will hopefully have it by next Wednesday at the latest.

------------------
    "Why don't we wait here a while...see what happens..."
    The member formaly known as Jason

24. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I'll be Stateside anyway when it comes out, should be able to pick it up for less than $39.99 (£27.58).

[This message has been edited by Confucius (edited 02-03-2001).]

25. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    order from dc-dvd, its even cheaper.

26. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    £26.77, $39.38?

I'll easily get it for $35 incl sales tax.

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's simple really,

Their is only 1 small freight plane to and from Jersey per day. Play sends A LOT of packages as they send dvds separately, this means that the plane gets full very quicker and so the packages have to wait until the next day if their is space on theat plane, if not they have to wait for the next day. and Play are not the only company in Jersey sending packages.