PLAY247 and CUSTOMS

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Joint, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Joint

Joint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't bought off PLAY for a while now, and suddenly I've discovered that the buyer has to worry about import taxes now for region ones. What's the likelihood of being charged by customs, and how much does the cost beef up by?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have to worry about customs with play.com because they ship from within the EU.

3. Joint

Joint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that's what I thought- what are they, Jersey based?
    Anyway, check it out for yourself- add a R1 DVD to your cart and watch what comes up. Here's a sneak preview:

"The product you have selected will be shipped from North America and may be subject to import duties and taxes once it reaches your country. These and any additional charges must be borne by you. If you agree to pay these additional charges should they be levied click I AGREE below. If you do not wish to order this product click I DISAGREE below."

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are registered in Jersey, but they tend to ship from Belgium. That warning might be there just to keep the "relevant authorities" at bay ;) Futureent.com say something similar too ("all DVDs are shipped from North America") when in fact they are not, they are shipped from Kent! Even Amazon.com apparently ship from Amsterdam (although I can't confirm this one as I've never ordered a DVD from them).

Anyway, it's a moot point because you are allowed £18 per parcel (including the cost of postage) before customs levies apply (and £36 per parcel if the parcel is marked as a gift). Seeing as play.com ship each DVD in a separate parcel (unless they're going to change this policy too??) and seeing as the vast majority of their DVDs are less than £18, you won't have a problem with customs anyway!

Make sure you can't get the R1s cheaper elsewhere though. I rarely use play for R1s! Try cd-wow.com and futureent.com as well.

5. Joint

Joint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Squirrel God, I feel reassured!
    And thanks- I will check out Future Entertainment!

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just added a R1 to my shopping cart at Play.com and I didn't get that warning coming up. Perhaps it is only with certain DVDs (perhaps the pre-releases)? The only DVD it came up for was E.T. (if it is shipped from N America, then the ultimate gift box set version would indeed be liable for customs charges, which would be quite a bit more if the parcel was not marked as a gift). Once the DVD comes out, they will probably get them in stock in their European warehouses and then this will cease to be an issue.

7. Joint

Joint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right- I think it mostly only happens with R1s priced over £18. You see, I tried a Buffy boxset. Then simpsons. And Rashomon, which coming to think of it, was £24.99.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be worth giving Play a call and clarifying where they actually ship from on these specific titles. They might be more "truthful" on the phone than in an email ;) Then again, they might not :(

But the R1s I have ordered from them have always come from the EU anyway ...

9. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They ship their R1 releases from Canada via Brussels. They keep them "offshore" there which means you the customer is liable for any customs charges if they are stopped by UK C&E when they enter the UK as have come from outside EU. Charges only liable if above £17.99 limit so only applies to boxsets.

Play used to refund any charges but post 11/9 they say post is examined more closely so theirs are more likely to be stopped and have customs charges applied if over limit. I have only heard of a few Die Hard boxsets of theirs being caught by customs as I think C&E look out more for orders sent direct from US or Australia.

To avoid risk try Movietyme or Future who have tax paid prices as reshipped within UK so no risk to you the customer. Their prices are comparable to Play.

Amazon US seem to ship all orders via Germany (my couple have been). These however are very likely to be caught by C&E if above £17.99 as C&E have heard of Amazon and they use very large boxes even for 1 DVD so give game away.

10. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´ve got charged VAT for region 2 disc from play!!
    The customs said that country of origin was Canada.
    Play will refund if I fax a copy of the customs invoice, but i´m wondering what´s going on in the grey zone of play??

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If country of origin is Canada, then it can't be a R2 disk. :confused: Sounds like Customs were having a braindead day (not for the first time). :rolleyes:

Never had this from Play.com or anyone else.

Customs do open parcels at random though, but so far I've only ever been stung on customs & excise when I ordered from Amazon.com. And it does not matter what the country of origin is - you are allowed £18 per parcel (inclusive of P&P), which rises to £36 if the parcel is marked as a gift (as stated above).

12. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Norman not sure I am allowed to plug them here but the DVD Forums has had a long discussion on custom charges for Play if you order R2 from the remainder of the EU (outside UK).
    The problem with Sweden is they have a zero customs limit if you order from outside the EU (and they consider Jersey to be so).

I think from that thread Play agreed to refund R2 customs charges for Swedish and Finnish customers but this offer does NOT apply to R1 as these are deemed to be shipped from Canada (even though as I said earlier they go via Belgium).

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops! Didn't notice Norman's location! :blush: