1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play your kit as loud as you like - its legal!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gary D, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i'm going to make the assumption that most of us on this forum have the kind of hobby that go very loud! Well the police have told me today that i can play it as loud as i like - as long as its not after 11pm and 6am.

i'll explain - in the next road over from mine there is someone with a sub that COULD level buildings. for the last three years almost every nice day we have had as been spoliled by this guy/girl rattling things in my house.

i called the police today to find out what i could do about. i was told that "the police no longer deal with any noise issues, only the local council can does." i said what can you do it help me? "nothing" she said. When i called the council last week they told me that i had to "keep a diary" (which i already knew). what then i said, "well you have to keep that for a couple months and get back to us if its still a problem" So when the summer is over and there no problem then i give in a diary thats going to do nothing.

Advice welcomed.

Gary

2. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    1) Thats BS. The police can become involved in noise issues, but, and here it comes, only when that diary of yours is filled in. 2) Sadly the 11.00 rule is correct. Noise complaints aren't the polices business until after that time, when it becomes offically a public nuisance. 3) Keep the diary, and get in touch with your neighbours. Get them to complain. When that happens the council are oblidged to step the complaint up a gear. The more that complain the less likely the council are to forget all about it. Which they will if they get the chance.

We found that you have to keep on at the police and council. That way they get fed up with you keep ringing and DO something.

3. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You don't live in Warwickshire do you? :rolleyes:

4. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    get a life :D

he's got a bigger sub than you :devil:

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    nicew to see yoiu got the point of the thread :rolleyes:

and no i live in brum.

Gary

6. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,964
    When I had problems with the people 2 houses away I phoned the council and they said they would send out a letter straight away and that I should keep a diary. This turned out to be unnecessary as the letter from the council was enough to stop the noise. I think that the mother was out at work and the daughter got home from school and put her music on really loud and opened the bedroom window so that the whole street could hear it, the mother was obviously unaware that this was happening until the advisory letter from the council arrived.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The police (obviously) only deal with criminal matters and it may be that they do not consider the incident to be sufficient to be a public nuisance (which is a criminal offence)

If it is really that bad then there is the option of civil action under a claim of a private nuisance however the claim must be for actual damage caused (though this can be somewhat vaigue of affecting your useage/enjoyment of your own land)

8. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,594
    Gather up a posse and go round with bats...

Have they been asked to turn it down?

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Good point. ALthough its daft ( as way too many of these people are nutters anyway) you have to ask them, I think its three times, to turn it down.

Which is why it's a good plan to get the neighbours involved. Then the community Police can act. Ours did, and he was way more effective than the council. He went round a few other houses, inteviewed us, then one visit from him finally stopped it dead. Ace guy.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Gary,

Potential solutions:

- Get a group of your neighbours together, to go round and confront the people/person causing the excess noise. Hopefully, they will then back down, and keep the noise a little less intrusive.

- For speedier recompense, get the local paper/TV station involved! :devil: You can remain anonymous (as can any/all of your neighbours), and the person involved will have his/her/their name plastered in front of about 10,000 people and will look like a right tosspot! More to the point, the local police and council will have to prove to the media why they didn't respond / didn't respond sooner!

Good Luck! :)

Pooch

11. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    what i cant understand is that the people who live around him dont do anything. i'f it shakes my house and i'm a street away whats it like to live next door too? why dont they complain?

i wont go thats for sure, the last time i politley asked someone to turn down a hi fi i was threated and chased. (which the police did nothing about as i had no proof)

i'll call the council again later (although i dont have any faith in them as they are wofully bad - i know i work for them)

Gary

12. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Why don't you approach his neighbours first? Ask them if they find it too loud. I appreciate that this is frustrating, but if you not in a position where you feel comfortable discussing the issue with them, I don't think a solution will ever be found.

I like my music loud, but know for sure that if a neighbour were to discuss it with me in a friendly face to face manner, they will get the music turned down. If they go straight to the police/council, why should I bother to be nice. If I cannot discuss the issue with the person it's affecting, I cannot find a middle ground to suit both parties.

13. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    You have no 'right' to be informed prior to anyone making an official complaint. And it's more reason to comply as those affected are more likely to have been driven livid by your selfishness anyway, IYSWIM.

14. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    How am I being selfish if I am unaware there is an issue?

I would love to comply, but how do I know what they deem an acceptable level of noise, if they do not tell me?

15. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    They probably have Gary.It just depends on personality. Some people complain once, get no instant response and forget about it, others make the mistake of telling the nuisance, and, after being threatened, lose all hope of getting anything done. That happened (both cases) down my old street.

I would go and speak to a few people and sound (no pun) them out.

16. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    So are you arrogant enough to believe that you have no personal responsibilty in this regard? i dont want to stop anyone being free to do what they like within reason - i just dont think its very nice for them to do it all alday to the detrement of anyone everyone else? the lack of respect that it shows to everyone else is breathtaking. after all if you are going to to be so disrespectful in playing music loud "because you want too" why should i ask you anything?

both my neighbours have my phone number to call me if i'm too loud - i truth i'm paranoid about distrubing them and i dont like upsetting people - we all have to live in confined space and i would never be that arrogant to everyone around me. just because i want to listen to the death star exploding at referance volume - does everyone else?

Gary

17. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Arrogance has nothing to do with it. I like my music loud, but I am confident that it is not so loud as to disturb anyone. But how am I supposed to know for sure? Should I survey the neighbours?

Aren't you too showing a lack of respect, by assuming that they are doing this in the knowledge that they are annoying the whole neighbourhood. It could be that nobody has mentioned it to them, and therefore they don't know it's an issue.

My main point was Gary, that you may find the quickest and simplest way to solve this, is to talk to them.

18. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    as i said before i wont ask because the last time i got threaterned. as for playing music/films loud - you know when its loud enough for other people to hear. you can claim ignorance if you like but you know. - we all do. especally at the top end.

oh and yes you should ask your neighbours - it would be polite if nothing else.

Gary

19. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    At the risk of getting a kicking? the guy might be a right loon, i've seen people chinned for knocking on someone's door to ask them if they can keep it down a bit. I'd also just call the council it's not worth getting a kicking or hassle off them every time they see you.

Bloody chavs think they own the place & should be able to do as they like. :thumbsdow

20. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    No everybody in life will threaten you.

I talk to my neighbours all the time, they have never bought it into conversation, so I will continue to see it as a 'non-issue'.

21. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Oh I see now. He plays loud music. He must be a thug and a chav. :rolleyes:

22. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i talk to my neighbours too :smashin: but not the arrogant ****wit that plays music so loud it rattles windows a street over. or are you assuming that someone who plays music (yesterday - from 10.30 in the morning until after nine last night) - to be reasonable?

Gary

23. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    90% of people that play loud music round here are chavs. ;) Believe me if i were ask any of the ones where i live to turn it down there would be trouble. Your free to come round and i'll point you to the house and you go round. i'll have 999 on speed dial for ya. :D

24. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i would say that "nice" people wouldn't do it for that amount of time. its the arrogance of "i'll do what i like because its a free country" people who dont care who it affects as long as they can do what they like. what would you say if one of your neighbours wanted to expreess thier wish to live a life of peace and quite? do their wishes over rule yours? or vice versa? the answer is that you are both right but you have to reach some common ground.

Gary

25. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    People are far more friendly down here in Berkshire. I just don't understand the situation I guess, as clearly I am outnumbered.

26. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Has it been established what sub it is?

27. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    thats what i want to know! pollywoggle! i want one too!
    seiously though i hope you get it sorted.

28. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    having worked in retail for ages when i was younger i devolped a real hatred of the public. i've met some great people throughout my life - but the majority are scum (even those nice educated people that live in the big houses) when i was at blockies so many people would lie to get what they wanted. and so many people want something for nothing its scary!! i've even had people at my day job who have stabbed me in the back to get themselves out of trouble.

luckly i never got to a position of power - i'd have made Stalin like like Walt Disney! :D

like most poor uneducated people they believe that loud = good! loud = quality, i wouldn't imagine its a good sub, just a loud one (the house doesn't look like its got a £500 sub in it.

Gary

29. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Our adjoining neighbour (father and mother with two <11year old kids) played their music really loud a few days last summer. We didn't complain because it didn't really bother us. Bloke came from across the road and about 5 doors down. He gave up ringing their door bell and knocking on their door because they couldn't hear him....music was REALLY loud (it wasn't that good either).

Eventually the guy rang on our door. We opened our rear window and shouted at them. It took quite a few as loud as I possibly could shouts until they actually heard us. They did instantly turn the music down and apologise.

They knew it was loud, they knew others could hear it but they didn't know it was annoying others until they were told. Personally I'm para about that sort of thing and think I'm annoying people when I'm not. Different people different way of working. :rolleyes:

I'd try meeting them and have a chat to them, not about the noise, some unrealated time when their guard is down. Perhaps knock on their door and introduce yourself and ask if they can check their shed for your missing cat or something. You can have a bit of a chat and laugh with them and gauge if they're the type of people who'd take a 'please turn it down' knock on the door some other time. They'd sure be more happy to receive a call like that if they knew you first.

P.S. take a stanley just in case thu ;)

30. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    would chavs have a decent AV / ho fi system, let alone be able to set it up properly..?