Play Xbox, PS3 on my monitor?

Bruceorange

Standard Member
Just wondering if I can play my xbox or ps3 through my computer monitor, now it's about 3 years old, it's an acer something, come out roughly the same time vista, did I'm not sure exactly what model it is and it isn't hd, just a flat 19" monitor.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diy_sham

xbox you can, theres a vga cable you can buy which plugs into the xbox and has a vga output and audio rca outputs. gives you output onto a lcd of hd-15, which is very good quality.

ps3 you should be able too do aswell. only one way i can see it, and that is hdmi cable in ps3, and the other end of the hdmi cable a dvi connector. your monitor should have a dvi input. not tried the latter, tho used to use the xbox all the time.

Bruceorange

Standard Member
HD is just 1280x720, so virtually all 19" monitors are HD (even the non-widescreen ones).

Newer Xbox360s also have HDMI ports which would be easier and cheaper than VGA if your monitor has DVI.

I found out my monitor does DVI, what do I need to buy then? a DVI cable or a HDMI Cable? thanks

Bruceorange

Standard Member
depends - how are you planning on getting sound from the console ? I mean is it going into an amp etc ?

An amp? lol mate you've lost me, so HDMI - DVI cable is only going to transfer the picture then? I don't know how I'm going to transfer the sound, how could I do it? and I don't have one of those large amps lol

lol ok - does the monitor have speakers on it ?

I ask as I think the VGA cable will make it easier for you to get sound (on the xbox at least). You will get a vga socket and a Red and white (left and right) sound bits on the end of the Xbox VGA cable.

So the VGA goes to the monitor and the red and white bits can go to an amp or PC speakers. Also its an easy job to get a small adapter to make them into headphone sockets for connection to any small speakers. Or if the monitor has speakers built in you might be able to connect them into it.

HDMI has the sound built in so it wont let you connect seperate sound outputs to it easily.

D

diy_sham

your better off getting the xbox vga cable, costs £20 for the official one, or about £15 for an unoffical one, both do the same job.

These cables will have rca cables attached to the vga cable, which you can use to plug into any kind of speakers you may have (u may need to buy an rca --> 3.5mm audio plug - about £2 from mapllins)

Bruceorange

Standard Member
lol ok - does the monitor have speakers on it ?

I ask as I think the VGA cable will make it easier for you to get sound (on the xbox at least). You will get a vga socket and a Red and white (left and right) sound bits on the end of the Xbox VGA cable.

So the VGA goes to the monitor and the red and white bits can go to an amp or PC speakers. Also its an easy job to get a small adapter to make them into headphone sockets for connection to any small speakers. Or if the monitor has speakers built in you might be able to connect them into it.

HDMI has the sound built in so it wont let you connect seperate sound outputs to it easily.

Ahh yes, it hasn't got speakers built in so I'm gunna have to do it the VGA way, does this mean the quality is gunna be not as good though? I don't really wanna do it through an amp because I don't have one but I have pc speakers so I could do this way, thanks for your help I still don't know what I'm doing completely, but I need to buy a VGA cable for Xbox - PC monitor and some funny looking cable for my speakers?

Quality will not be an issue, VGA is as good as anything else.

for the sound you need something like this

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/videoware_2053_7244682

so it can connect to the speakers

IMPORTANT NOTE - check your speakers - for that cable to be the right one the speakers must have a 3.5mm (headphone socket to you and me) socket for it to go into. If the speakers have no sockets and just a male 3.5mm cable coming out (to got to a PC for example) you will need to get a different cable.

Bruceorange

Standard Member
Quality will not be an issue, VGA is as good as anything else.

for the sound you need something like this

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/videoware_2053_7244682

so it can connect to the speakers

IMPORTANT NOTE - check your speakers - for that cable to be the right one the speakers must have a 3.5mm (headphone socket to you and me) socket for it to go into. If the speakers have no sockets and just a male 3.5mm cable coming out (to got to a PC for example) you will need to get a different cable.

I checked out the image and it looks like that it was a I need umm where does the red and white connector things go? I haven't looked on my xbox 360 cause it's boxed at the moment but I presume they attach onto something on there?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member

Ah, I was assuming the Xbox360 would let you use something else for sound if you used the HDMI connection.

If that's not possible then your best bet is probably paying the ridiculous prices for the VGA adapter.

Most PC speakers only have one input for the sound so if you want to save yourself switching them over all the time you might be able to plug the xbox 360 into the line in on the PC and feed the sound through that (although that has the disadvantage that the PC would have to be on at the same time as the xbox 360)

Tylor

Standard Member
Actually, Fe_man2000 posted the right cable for what you need to get sound. A female red & white to a male 3.5 mm cable, assuming that is what your speakers have as inputs. For sound, you will have to get a VGA adapter. You can do the same for the PS3 sound wise. Use an HDMI to DVI cable for the picture and use the supplied cable that comes with the PS3 (red & white) for sound.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom