Play UHD videos (.mp4 H264 AAC 3840x2160) from Synology NAS via SmartShare

Good luck... You never know!

Technology doesn't stand still...

FTP

Ticket forwarded to "Expert" team. To be continued...
(but I doubt it will change anything - just that the level 1 has no clue, does not even know such issue exists)

emanon

Ticket forwarded to "Expert" team. To be continued...
(but I doubt it will change anything - just that the level 1 has no clue, does not even know such issue exists)

Any updates? I've run into the exact issues on my LG 55EG9200. I also tried Flex server, and while it works for the regular h264 1080p files on both their "Direct Play" and "Direct Streaming" methods, it doesn't work for the 4k hevc encoded files.

While the documentation is not 100% clear, flex's website also suggests that this combination (webos 2.0 + hevc) may not work: What media formats are supported? | Plex Support

UHDaddict

Novice Member
I have an LG OLED55CXPUA and Synology NAS and I am having the same issue with a 16.7 GB mkv file. The file plays fine via USB, but gives me the following error when trying to play it from the NAS “The file cannot be recognized. Returning to list.” The file appears as 4.27 GB on the TV, so I’m wondering if there is somehow a file size limit. How big are the files for others having this issue?

next010

Distinguished Member
I have an LG OLED55CXPUA and Synology NAS and I am having the same issue with a 16.7 GB mkv file. The file plays fine via USB, but gives me the following error when trying to play it from the NAS “The file cannot be recognized. Returning to list.” The file appears as 4.27 GB on the TV, so I’m wondering if there is somehow a file size limit. How big are the files for others having this issue?

There is no file size limit. The fault is the media server not correctly scanning the video file if it reports the wrong file size.

DLNA does not present the direct video file to the client (TV in this case), rather DLNA scans media files and builds a database from that. That database is what the TV accesses to play media files.

As to why this has happened I cannot say, your best bet is to go into the Synology control panel indexing section and run the re-index files feature so it re-scans the media.

If it still reports the video with the wrong file size try moving the file into another folder to see if it can properly rescan it.

Your last option is to not use the Synology default DLNA media server and replace it with another like Serviio for example.

UHDaddict

Novice Member
Thank you very much for this info. You were correct. I already had the Plex media server installed but not enabled, and was using the default Synology Media Server. I disabled the default one, and enabled Plex, and voila - it works now. Much appreciated!!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom