Play UHD videos (.mp4 H264 AAC 3840x2160) from Synology NAS via SmartShare

FTP

Hi,

I would like to play personal UHD videos via SmartShare on my OLED 4K 55EG960V TV.
The files are .mp4 3840x2160 H264 AAC.
Problem: those videos can perfectly be played if the files are on a USB stick plugged into the TV, but not if they are on my Synology NAS :(

In detail...
- if I upload one of those videos on a normal USB stick (not even a USB 3), plug it on the TV, go to SmartShare > Devices > USB and run the video, the file is well recognized as H264 AAC 3840x2160 and is played without any issue.
- but if I upload the file on my Synology DS918+ NAS which is on the same 1Gb LAN (no wifi) than the TV, then go to SmartShare > Devices > Media Server and run the video, this time the file format is not even recognized and I get this error message: "Unable to play. this file cannot be recognized.".

But it's EXACTLY the same file, readable by the TV if it's on a USB key, visible on the network, network that's fast enough (1Gb wired)!
At last FYI, in the exact same context, the TV do recognize and can read H264 AAC 1920x1080 files from the NAS. So SmartShare can not recognize 3840x2160 videos just when the files are on the NAS while it can when the file are on a USB stick or on the NAS in a lower resolution :(

Any idea why and how to fix the issue?
The TV software version is the 04.26.00 (webOS 2.2.3-1351).

Any other free solution to read those files from the NAS?
Synology does not have its own DS Video app on LG webOS TVs and Plex or emby are paid options.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 171211

Synology does not have its own DS Video app on LG webOS TVs and Plex or emby are paid options.

You don't have to pay for Plex, unless you want the extra features.

There shouldn't be any requirement to install a third-party app on either the Synology NAS or your TV in order to play .mp4 contained files (provided they have been encoded within spec).

Personally I only use Synology's very own UPnP media server and my LG televisions and other media players see and play my media files just fine...

FTP

Thanks for your answers!

At the moment, let's not talk about alternatives like Plex or others. I know Plex can be free but several features are not available.

Personally I only use Synology's very own UPnP media server and my LG televisions and other media players see and play my media files just fine...
What do you exactly mean?
How do you read the files on the LG TV? With which app? SmartShare or another one?
Have you tried with UHD videos? Because like I said, I know it does work fine with Full HD 1080p videos, but not with UHD 2160p so far.

Last edited:
I use the LG televisions built-in media player app. On my model it's called 'Photo & Video' and is accessible by pressing the 'Home' key on the remote control...

FTP

What's the OS of your TV?
webOS or Android?
And if webOS, which OS version? (firmware)

And have you tried with UHD videos?

Miss-posted content deleted...

Last edited:
My TV runs webOS version v3.3.5-4320. And yes it's able to play 4K UHD media files.

I back-up all my 4K UHD blu-ray discs (which are encoded with HEVC video) and store them on my Synology NAS...

FTP

Ok, I guess you have a more recent model.
It looks like you are referring to those apps... (video applicable for 2016/2017 models)

I have the previous app called SmartShare (Photos, Videos, Music all together - TV from winter 2015/2016).
And my webOS version is the 2.2.3-1351, currently up-to-date for this TV model :(

But still. The weird thing is it can perfectly read those files when it's on a USB key.

Last edited:

jwsg

I suspect Smartshare is just a launching mechanism - the only way to play video files on the LG is the same Photo & video app. To play HD videos from my NAS I start the video app from the home menu and browse to the NAS device from there

One difference is that from the USB the file is being read raw but when it's from the NAS it's via DLNA using the media server app on the synology. This has the ability to transcode so it's worth making sure its not doing that by default - but in any case its not the same as just reading a file from a disk, even if the LG app is the same in both cases.

FTP

Thanks @jwsg!
Very interesting.
I'll investigate if I can find and disable the transcoding feature on the NAS side, at least to try :smashin:

FTP

Well, the results are so so.

In fact, the transcoding was not activated for mp4 files. So I can't disable it to help.
On the other hand, if I activate it, the TV manage to read the video, but transcoded in 1080p H264 MPEG (instead of 2160p H264 AAC).

To play HD videos from my NAS I start the video app from the home menu and browse to the NAS device from there
I don't have any Video app. It's only SmartShare (or non LG apps like Plex, etc. but they need their own server on the NAS side).

I don't have any Video app. It's only SmartShare (or non LG apps like Plex, etc. but they need their own server on the NAS side).
Hmmm....

I have a [2012] LG 32LS570T and a [2013] LG 32LN575V in a couple of bedrooms. I've just checked and both TV's can see media files [up-to 2K] stored on my Synology NAS without any additional software installed!

FTP

Correct. That's what I said. Until 2K/1080p there's no problem. SmartShare can read the files. It's only the 4K/2160p that are not recognized when they are on the NAS (it's fine when they are on a USB stick).

It's highly doubtful that these 4K UHD videos (you refer to) will have been encoded in MPEG-4 AVC (h.264). They are more likely to have been encoded using HEVC (h.265).

FTP

Nope. They are H264 AAC 3840x2160.
It's personal videos I edited and encoded myself on Premiere Pro. And they are perfectly recognized as is when they are on a USB stick...
IMG_1052.JPG

FTP

So far if I summarize:

LG TV year: up to winter 2015/2016
Software version: at least up until 04.26.00
webOS version: at least up until 2.2.3-1351
LG AV player app: SmartShare
LG AV player app can read FHD/1080p from USB: Yes
LG AV player app can read FHD/1080p from NAS: Yes
LG AV player app can read UHD/2160p from USB: Yes
LG AV player app can read UHD/2160p from NAS: No

LG TV year: from winter 2016/2017
Software version: at least from ???
webOS version: at least from ??? (works fine on 3.3.5-4320)
LG AV player app: Photo & Video
LG AV player app can read UHD/2160p from NAS: Yes

Last edited:
So far if I summarize:

LG TV year: up to winter 2015/2016
Software version: at least up until 04.26.00
webOS version: at least up until 2.2.3-1351
LG AV player app: SmartShare
LG AV player app can read UHD/2160p from NAS: No
Shame,

I wonder if re-muxing your h.264/AAC.mp4 files into the .mkv container might change things...

LG televisions have much the same quirk with FLAC audio only files. You can find and play them via a USB connected HDD but not via your network!

FTP

I wonder if re-muxing your h.264/AAC.mp4 files into the .mkv container might change things...

LG televisions have much the same quirk with FLAC audio only files. You can find and play them via a USB connected HDD but not via your network!
I'll try both and will tell you soon.

The funny thing is for SmartShare they mention potential issues with USB storage but not NAS (apart with subtitles). And in fact, it's the contrary 🤔

FTP

Still planing to run my tests but it will take a bit longer than expected.

On top of testing a MKV version, I thought I'll also test a H265/HEVC version. But...
1/ I discovered Premiere Pro as well as Media Encoder don't support encoding in MKV. So I need to find a free tool to do the encoding. Probably VLC.
2/ Encoding in H265/HEVC is crazy slow. It's ongoing but it will still take another 2h.

Last edited:
...So I need to find a free tool to do the encoding. Probably VLC.
I can recommend Mosu's 'MKVToolNIX GUI'. It currently up-to v43.0.0

FTP

I can recommend Mosu's 'MKVToolNIX GUI'. It currently up-to v43.0.0
Yep, I forgot about this tool, but indeed, that's an appropriate one. Thanks!

Ok so here are the results, with all transcoding disabled on the NAS:
  • .mp4 H264 FHD/1080p from USB: Yes - from NAS: Yes
  • .mp4 H264 UHD/2160p from USB: Yes - from NAS: No (file not recognized)
  • .mkv H264 UHD/2160p from USB: Yes - from NAS: No (file not recognized)
  • .mp4 H265 HEVC UHD/2160p from USB: Yes - from NAS: No (file not recognized)
  • .flac 44KHz 980Kb/s from USB: Yes - from NAS: No (file not even visible)
  • .aac 44KHz 320Kb/s from USB: Yes - from NAS: Yes
So .flac and UHD videos, whatever H264 or H265, .mp4 or .mkv can't be read if the files are located on the NAS. All can be read if they are on a USB stick :(

I guess the only options would be :
- a firmware update, but the TV is a bit old to get a significant one
- or maybe specific settings on the NAS side.

jwsg

There must be cheap boxes or sticks that can play videos off the NAS? OS updates on LG dont seem to happen after the model year.

FTP

Well, I've opened a ticket at the LG support to see what they say about the issue.

But if there's indeed no solution from LG, I'll acknowledge my TV is unfortunately 1 year too old to read 4K videos located on my NAS with the default LG player (SmartShare) and will start looking at Plex as Synology has not developped its own player (DS Video) on LG webOS.
I will also wait for a good discount for the lifetime Plex pass (it looks like it's sometimes at 74.99).

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton