Play TV - Is yours working OK?

Are you finding Play TV is skipping/stuttering during Playback?

• Total voters

Master Yoda

Established Member
Reaction score
Well - I wanted to do a vote to see how widespread the problem is where Play TV keeps skipping / jumping / stuttering during playback...

My freeview signal is perfect (before anyone asks) and I'm getting alot of problems with this device regarding the above to the point where I can't rely on it to record anything at the moment. It seems to be potluck as to whether the recording will actually play back without any skipping or not.

When it works - I think the device is brilliant... just a shame it doesn't work all the time...

I find that recording the channel I'm watching is usually OK, but if I'm watching anything else at the same time (especially if it's being buffered) it will cause the recording to skip regularly (sometimes every 10 seconds or so). If I'm just watching Live TV, I don't get any noticeable stuttering problems - only when recording.

Just to make clear, I'm not asking much of the product, as I'm not even playing games or anything else when I'm getting these problems - just using Play TV.

I've tried reinstalling Play TV about 6 times (as someone said it was caused by upgrading the HDD after installing Play TV) - I did notice that when you delete 'Play TV' it still leaves lots of files in the data folders which you need to manually remove. Only after 'manually' removing all the files and reinstalling did things improve slightly (am no longer getting the constant skipping every 10 seconds), but am still getting unnacceptably bad skipping when playing back recordings...

I've noticed that some people are saying they are getting the same problems, so wanted to do a vote... To be honest, if it's widespread then I will feel very relieved as at least it's a problem that a future patch can fix... If not, then I'm worried what's causing it...

If anyone is getting constant skipping, or never had any skipping at all - please state the PS3 you've got as it might be interesting to see if there are any patterns here...

Last edited:
Yeah it happens occasionaly. I think its usually when I'm playing a game or watching another channel like you've said.

I'm confident it will be fixed but at the moment its not a huge concern. Its more of a frame dropped and pause in sound every third minute for a spilt second than something that would ever annoy me.

No regrets about purchasing it even with the slight glitch.

Slight pauses now an again but not hugely worried,could possibly be fixed at a later stage.

I have watched a lot of TV through PlayTV and so far I have only noticed a slight pause in video playback a few times.

Hmmm - I do love doing polls... :)

It's interesting to see that in the main Play TV thread I felt like I was in a very small minority getting problems with this issue, but after doing this vote, it seems to indicate thus far that the majority have stuttering/skipping issues(!)... :cool:

Hope Sony are watching this thread as we all want a patch asap...

Not sure what option to pick.

sometimes mine plays fine and sometimes its very jumpy. I taped the F1 last week and it was unwatchable because of all the jumping every few seconds.

Othertimes though its works great.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the upgraded hard drives? Ive got a WD 320 in mine.

Not sure what option to pick.

sometimes mine plays fine and sometimes its very jumpy. I taped the F1 last week and it was unwatchable because of all the jumping every few seconds.

Othertimes though its works great.

Come and join me at the Constantly skipping option... Don't feel the need to be too generous... ;)

If you've ever had a situation where the playback constantly skipped to the point it was unwatchable then choose that option...

I have only had PlayTV for a week, and I've only recorded in the situation where the PS3 turns itself on and off automatically (i.e. no other PS3 activity). I've also only recorded to the 60Gb HDD which came with the PS3 - I haven't installed the 320Gb yet.

However, I haven't seen any problems whatsoever with the recordings produced. My longest single recording is 1h40m (2.5Gb), with no issues at all with the result.

NO! :thumbsdow

My Freeview reception is perfect also - now when I record ANYTHING with PlayTV it skips every couple of minutes, I've even tried just watching the channel as it records and not do anything to see if it was my constant flicking through the channels, but no!

Still the god damn annoying stuttering and skipping every few minutes!

They'd better fix this soon! :mad::mad:

I have occasionaly had some minor skips, but nothing to annoy.

However, one recording of Merlin was very jumpy (last week), the only thing I was doing differently was downloading something off the PS Store, however someone has said that the PS3 won't down load whilst using playTV!!! So it must just be coincidence. PlayTV has been very stable recently other than the guide being slow to update.

FYI - I have a 320G hard disc installed on the same day as I installed PlayTV.

I have a 320G hard disc installed on the same day as I installed PlayTV.

I installed my 320GB a couple of days after installing Play TV if I remember correctly.

I wasn't able to use Play TV to record anything before installing that as I didn't have hdd space, so I don't know if it made any difference.

Even if it was caused by upgrading your HDD after initial installation, deleting the software completely and reinstalling should have sorted it out(?).

It's now getting to the point where every recording, no matter what channel I'm recording is skipping every few seconds - really un-watchable now.

I've found though, if you leave it on a channel you're recording and don't turn over the recording skips less, if not at all - guess I'll have to be doing this until they sort it out.

So much for a twin tuner PVR! :mad::mad:

PlayTV just broke my HDD. So that would be a no.

Its been freezing on the Sony welcome screen since I got PlayTV, and now it won't start at all. Totally killed it.

Its been freezing on the Sony welcome screen since I got PlayTV, and now it won't start at all. Totally killed it.

Hmmm - That's not good... Also - I don't quite understand why you ticked that Play TV only causes you problems 'extremely rarely' in the vote above... :eek: If it killed my PS3, I know which option I'd be choosing(!) :D

I should have put an option at the top of the vote saying "Play TV killed my PS3", but I never thought for one second that things were that bad for anyone... Hope you get it sorted...

Hmmm - That's not good... Also - I don't quite understand why you ticked that Play TV only causes you problems 'extremely rarely' in the vote above... :eek: If it killed my PS3, I know which option I'd be choosing(!) :D

I should have put an option at the top of the vote saying "Play TV killed my PS3", but I never thought for one second that things were that bad for anyone... Hope you get it sorted...

It killed it the night after I ticked that :(

i was looking at buying this - but i dont think i will bother now.......for a while.:rolleyes:

I phoned customer service and they didn't want to know.
It was a replacement 250gb drive, so they had no right to care, but their product did kill it.

He kept saying it was just software so it couldn't have any effect on the drive, and he flat-out stated that I broke it either installing it wrong or I had been using the wrong drive for the machine. Wrong drive? Funny how it worked fine for 3 months until the week that Play TV was installed.

Pretty annoyed seeing as Sony are supposed to have superb customer service.
He kept saying re-format it on the PS3 - and I repeated 2,453 times that it wouldn't get past the welcome screen.

I had tried to re-format it through a PC but it was a write-off

I phoned customer service and they didn't want to know.
It was a replacement 250gb drive, so they had no right to care, but their product did kill it.

He kept saying it was just software so it couldn't have any effect on the drive, and he flat-out stated that I broke it either installing it wrong or I had been using the wrong drive for the machine. Wrong drive? Funny how it worked fine for 3 months until the week that Play TV was installed.

Pretty annoyed seeing as Sony are supposed to have superb customer service.
He kept saying re-format it on the PS3 - and I repeated 2,453 times that it wouldn't get past the welcome screen.

I had tried to re-format it through a PC but it was a write-off

It does sound like a faulty hard drive issue rather than anything to do with play tv. Play tv may make the hard drive work much harder than other applications on the PS3 but that would not make a healthy drive fail, it may well show up a drive that was sickly to begin with

just a quich question.....can Play TV record whilst the ps3 is turned off?

Another quick question.......how did u guys get play tv?

Last edited by a moderator:
just a quich question.....can Play TV record whilst the ps3 is turned off?

it can record from standby - but obviously not off as in at the wall...

will also remember the scheduled recordings if u turn it off at the wall.

Got mine from Play on release day for 54.99 with £5 discount. Am very pleased with it, except the stuttering and some tweaks i would like - such as boot up straight away when turning on...

I copied the recording to the XMB and watched it from the PS3, not through PlayTV, the recording was fine. Anyone else experienced this?

Mines started jumping ever since i installed the 320 gb drive from play.com, only seems to do it if you set the buffer to record always, but that is one of the features i bought it for!

Dont think Sony have wind of this problem, its not on any of their forums, if anyone has permission to start new threads on Sonys PS3 site it needs to be done!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom