Play TV and audio switching.

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Waynej, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I just wondered if someone here may have a similar setup, and can comment on whether this a problem or not.

I've got a new sound system, a Sony DAV-DZ-260, the problem is that it only has 1 optical input, and I want to connect both my Xbox 360 and PS3 to it, to save the constant switching of cables.

I was looking at this device in particular, simply because it's a splitter and therefor would not require me to get off my backside to flip a switch.

Ex-Pro Optical TOSlink SPDIF Splitter - Plus 2 x 1m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Now, I've read some of the comments on Amazon, in the above link, and it sounds like that in the event of two devices being on at the same time, one does not cancel out the other, instead it causes some sort of disturbance in the audio.

Now, clearly I've no need to have both my 360 and PS3 on at the same time. The big question here though, is does the PS3 output an audio signal when it powers on only to record something? You know, it goes to the blank screen saying PlayTV in progress, so does not quite reach the main menu of the XMB. I was just wondering if anyone could confirm, as I'd order this splitter device if I know it's not going to be a problem.

Cheers. :smashin:

2. hodgyboy

hodgyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I used a three way splitter several years ago and didn't have a problem with more than one device on at a time.I would say that the switch just blocks the signal from going through the switching device that is not being used although i can't be 100% certain though.
    Perhaps when the day crew wake up,someone will be definitly help you out.

3. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    A splitter is designed to do the reverse of what you want to do ie. one signal in giving two identical out. You need to purchase a SWITCH to have two different inputs. The product you linked will not to do the job, hence the amazon comments. It may infact cause damage to your receiver.

4. pauloregan

pauloregan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  5. strumstrum

strumstrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
  6. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I was hoping to avoid a SWITCH, will it actually cause damage to my receiver then, the SPLITTER that is. That would be a big no-no, obviously.

As mentioned, a Splitter is appealing because I'm a lazy siwne, and would not have to get up to flip a swtich. If a Switch is the only way to go, then I'll buy it.

But first, what's wrong with going the Splitter route? Both consoles are not typically on at the same time, and the only time the PS3 might power on, is to record a film or something using PlayTV... which is why my question was more geared towards whether or not anyone knows if the PS3 outputs an audio signal or not whilst on the idle recording PlayTV screen (the screen when your PS3 powers on specifically to record and then auto powers back down).

Like I'm saying, the Splitter is more practical if it does the job (and won't damage my equipment), else I'll obviously have no choice but to get a Switcher.

I'll have a look for that on ebay in a bit.

7. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    There are a couple of options with Switches to keep you on your sofa. You could buy either a remote controlled switch or one that auto switches to the most recent enabled source.

A splitter will work but you will be using it in the wrong direction which won't be a problem until you have two sources outputting at once. When this is the case both signals are outputted at the same time to your receiver. Not something I would personally risk.