Play "superpoints"

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & 4K Steelbooks' started by kingkarl, Aug 2, 2012.

1. kingkarl

kingkarl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,264
    Looks like PLAY have started a loyality award scheme :thumbsup:

1 superpoint for every £1

100 superpoints = £1 to spend :smashin:

Should get a steelie free soon with all these releases I have purchased :smashin:

2. brumhee

brumhee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,079
    Awesome, that combined with my play.com CC which gives me 2p for every £ spent at play should work wonders :thumbsup:

3. jammyone

jammyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    I wish it had started a couple of months ago though :laugh:

4. Man on Fire

Man on Fire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I was hoping Play would do something like this , about time !. :D

5. travid

travid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Has this started today?

6. bulks

bulks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Looks to have started today yes,:thumbsup:

7. bulks

bulks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    So in other words;

Spend £1 and get £0.01 spend
    Spend £10 and get £0.10 spend
    Spend £100 and get £1.00 spend
    Spend £1000 and get £10.00 to spend

Average Steelbook, lets say £14.99 means you would need to spend £1499.00 to get enough points to get a £14.99 Bluray, even with the recent raft of £10.00 steels, you would still need to spend a whopping £1000.00!

Are these Superpoints really that Super? Or has my maths O'level grade finally come back to haunt me?

8. pimms

pimms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    That's my understanding.

9. malky78

malky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Well it's 1% extra cashback eseentially on top of quidco ;)

10. blueboy1971

blueboy1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    So will this count for the pre-orders i currently have sitting there i wonder?

EDIT - No it does not :(. May have to cancel the orders then redo them. What a pain.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  11. Richard

Richard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    The rate these are being churned out now that won't take long.

:eek:

12. snooloui

snooloui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    Sounds just like every other rewards scheme. One percent is reasonable enough, I mean could we expect them to offer any more?

13. bulks

bulks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I agree :D just think playpoints would have been better than superpoints :smashin:

14. replicant81

replicant81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    complete waste of time - i cant be bothered to cancel and reorder all my preorders just so i can get maybe 20p to spend.

spend 1 grand and get a free steelbook - what a deal eh? or you could wait for the items you spent the money on to reduce and get lots of extra steelbooks.

i guess its ok but i wont go out of my way to get the points. i dont know if its automatic but if you need to opt in, i wont bother.

what they should do for loyal steelbook purchasers is a deal where each time you buy one you get a star, and when you collect 10 stars you get one free. but i can understand why they dont.

15. Soprano

Soprano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I can't moan about something that is free on a service I have been using for years and plan to use them for as long as they have good deals and exclusive steels

16. chadrtc

chadrtc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Nice in theory, but that one free steelbook would more than wipe out all the profit of the 10 combined... And by quite a distance!

17. chadrtc

chadrtc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Superpoints is the name of Rakutan's loyalty scheme in every market around the world, giving it a different name in the UK alone would never have floated.

If you do a little investigating into how it works in Japan in a market place where the scheme has been up and running for some time, there are some great benefits across multiple businesses in various different sectors. :)

18. VVhiteKnight

VVhiteKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Look guys, yes the superpoints take a while to add up but its better than nothing. MOST loyalty schemes pay around 1% and sometimes you can get 2% if your lucky so its pretty much inline with everyone else. Im glad they brought it in, Ive spent like £5k on play this year so far so It would have been nice to have had it before, but Im not going to moan about getting free money from now on. Plus if you do what I do which is use a play.com credit card at 2% + quidco around 4% depending on what you order + the superpoints at 1% it all begins to add up.

19. VVhiteKnight

VVhiteKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Although I do agree superpoints is a rubbish name, they should call it playpoints. I know Rakutan loyalty schemes in other counties is called superpoints but since no one here in the UK knows about that I don't see the harm in changing the name to something a little better.

20. chadrtc

chadrtc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    It just doesn't any make sense to change it in one territory, we're beating to the rhythm of a different drum... Its an international business. If and when Amazon and eBay launch a similar scheme, id bet my shoes that they would call it the same thing in all territories...

The name is a bit ropey, though you didn't hear me say that! ;)

21. replicant81

replicant81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    really? so youre making less than £1 profit per steelbook sold? i thought with the plethora of exclusives that play must be rolling in it and hence the multi releases.

oh and here is a question - why is it that the universal and fox multimovie steels for bourne and alien films are £16.99-£19.99 for 3 and 4 discs but the upcoming godfather trilogy and men in black trilogy exclusives are £10 higher? surely they cant cost any more to produce and purchase? i cant see that many people buying them at £26.99 to £29.99 so will they drop £10 to the right levels before release, and is it part of a new scheme to stop people buying up lots of copies by putting them off with high prices?

22. chadrtc

chadrtc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Yep... You'd be amazed, with packaging and postage factored in, you're talking pence. I really wish I could tell you exactly how much. You have to factor in the changes to the LVCR in April.

The label's charge the retailer x amount, the retailer then prices the product based on that amount... Different label, different amount. That's about all I can say unfortunately.

That price is what it is, it's highly unlikely to change before release, unless the label change their mind. Their is no scheme, but it makes sense to put the prices up if people are turning them over for huge profit. The labels will be watching what happens, if people are paying crazy prices, they'll put them up themselves.

:)
    :)

23. replicant81

replicant81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    ok i see - i guess with the paramount individual steels being £10.99 each i jus expected the godfather steelbook set to be in line with that.

obviously i would prefer an extra £20 to be in my back pocket, but i will still buy a copy of each, wouldnt be a 100% complete collection otherwise - i just wish i had a crystal ball and new which ones to preorder to avoid paying silly ebay prices, and which ones fail to shift so i can wait for a discounted price. but thats the fun of the steelbook game i guess.

and ive not checked ebay, but i bet there are still some selling these at £40 each - so i guess to some people it doesnt matter what price is set, they will try and milk a profit :(

it was never like this back in the dvd steelbook days - i dont know how long you have been at play.com for but even the iron man dvd steelboo didnt sell out so quickly.

24. chadrtc

chadrtc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I've been there a long old time, I remember the Iron Man steel well. I'm an old DVD steelbook collector myself.

The market for blu-ray steelbooks has exploded in recent times... Hence why the labels are so eager to put them out.

25. replicant81

replicant81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    i see, well its nice to still get dvd steelbooks as well, for me anyway.

but it seems its almost dead now - do you know if play are willing to put out any more, like when they used to release bluray and dvd steelbooks side by side for terminator salvation or dare i whisper it, source code?

infact i cant remember the last play exclusive dvd steelbook that was a stand alone release. has been quite some years, i want to say it was something like the incredible hulk in 2008.

26. chadrtc

chadrtc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    The sales of them just dried up as collectors migrated to blu-ray, I can't really see there being many more.

27. replicant81

replicant81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    ah well i guess all good things come to an end - in a few more years we might be talking about bluray steels being outsold by steelbooks for the next format, if there is a physical product to beat bluray, which may not be possible.

28. VVhiteKnight

VVhiteKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its an absolute certainty that movies etc will be available online only and that physical media will cease to exist. Whether blu-ray is the last format or whether there will be another one I don't know. But I suspect in 10-15 years all the kids will have their jaws dropping when we talk about the fact we had to go out and buy a disc and put it in this device called a DVD/bluray player, they will be used to going online selecting a film and watching it instantly.

29. bulks

bulks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hey, im not play bashing, I love Play.com, love the steels :smashin:

I dont feel it presents value to me, unlike some of he steelbooks recently like the IM1 & IM2's, which are awesome. However if others feel the scheme offers them value then great !

Bottom line, everyone is entitled to an opinion, its the 20-60-20 rule, you cant please everyone, I guess I am in the last 20% others will be in the middle 60%, Play should concentrate on convincing the middle 60% and not the last 20% who wont ever care, concentrating on the last 20% means you loose focus on those that can be converted.

With that said, I think the name is rubbish, and to be to be fair I wont be losing any sleep over it, and I doubt Rakutan's CEO will either over my thoughts on the loyalty scheme name either.

peace

30. VVhiteKnight

VVhiteKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Before you were getting nothing....now your earning 1%. Not sure how you can complain...especially if you understood how razor thin the margins were on most of the items play sell.

Now some people might change their shopping habits due to the playpoints(sorry superpoints) but you don't need to do anything different, just shop like normal and one day your gonna have enough to get something free.