1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

play room

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by marcoeser, Nov 2, 2003.

1. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,
    I need some help/advise in planning my home cinema in my new house. Here's the plan:
    [​IMG]

I'm a little worried about the column in the middle of the room, which the crt will be in front of. I don't have a projector yet but I'm thinking of either a barco808 or 1209. What kind of screen size will I be having with the back of the crt 4.5m from the screen?

I think this is the best layout for the room. I did think of putting the screen on the right wall and the crt on the left but decided it wasn't ideal. What do you think?

thank you, marc

2. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry I, I used the insert image button but it came out as a link. I've double checked it, it seems [​IMG]

3. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well people can follow the link for the image then can't they? That's what I did and it worked.

You need a screen width/projector distance calculator, to solve your troubles.

Try: http://www.biggerhammer.net/mediaroom/

This link doesn't seem to be working at the moment but when it does you can dowonload a program called PJ Calc for various projectors (as far as I can remember/I think its the correct link).

I think in general though there is a factor of about 1.5. i.e. dis from front of pj to screen is 1.5 x width of screen (optimally).

So you've got 4.5m of space to the rear of your pj. Allow 1m for pj (approx) gives you 3.5 to the front (I think it's measured from the front!). This is equal to about 11.5ft. 11.5/1.5=7.6ft. i.e. a 7.6ft wide screen, I don't think many people go past about 8ft without loss of picture quality unless you've got a high end CRT.

Ok this sound about right, feel free to argue with my calculations after all I think I've had one Cider to many :zonked:

cosaw

P.S. If you can: get hold of or search for PJ Calc for best results.

4. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    That link works now !!

cosaw:

Your calculations are pretty good for a rough guide, but PJ Calc is better. The thing is it's for the Sony 12xx projectors, and others in the later versions of the software.

There are several screen / projection calculator software out there, look here.

I hope this helps you marcoeser ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

5. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That helps alot, it gives me a good rough idea of how big the screen will be. Thanks.

How flexible is the 1.5 law? Could I have a bigger image if I wanted, say a 9ft for example.

It makes me realise that a barco 1209 would be too big for the space I've got. Its 1m long and I guess it'll need some distance from the column. That leaves only about 3m to the screen. Would you agree that a smaller model, ie. an 808, would be better for me?

I tried downloading the PJ Calc, only to find out that it for PC, and I'm a apple mac man. Does anyone know where I can find PJ calc for mac?

marc

6. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi marcoeser,

Sorry i don't know of a Mac version of the software, maybe someone else does ??

As for the x1.5 theroy, it's something to do with the lenses, if i'm wrong can somebody tell me the correct theroy ??

I've got the Barco Lens program on my PC, so if you need more info, let us know.

An 808 projector is a very nice projector, i'm currently waiting to buy an 800 series projector, maybe an Graphics 800 or 801.

Cheers

Cosmic023

7. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yep, I don't know the specifics of pj sizes myself but would be looking to go Barco 800 or similar or Sony 12xx.

As I said before I don't think most people go past 8ft. I think you'd be happy with that once you saw it. A bit more research perhaps is needed but I don't think, with the available distance to screen, 9ft would be possible and with a lesser projecter obviously the results would not be quite as good. Remember bigest is not always best, think optimum I would say! The distance you sit from the screen is what really determines the optimum screen size.

My calculations were only rough so as I say more research is needed.

cosaw

8. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks cosaw,
    I found some tables to calculate screen sizes and projector distances, also the manuals for the barco 808 to give me the sizes. I was doing some maths to work out the designs for the room but came stuck. I'm guessing at the distance from the column to the back of the projector. Can anyone give a more precise measurement?

marc