Play midi instrument through Marantz CD player & Amp

seoras

Standard Member
HI, my system is Marantz CD 6006 CD player, Marantz PM 6006 amplifier and Wharfedale Diamond 230 speakers. I have an electronic musical instrument called a Blair Digital Chanter which has a midi output port and I’d like to play the chanter through the music system. There‘s a USB port on the front of the CD player to allow connection of an iPod/iPhone or digital storage device and I tried to connect the chanter to this port but got the message “check device connection“. My question is; would I be able to play the chanter through the system via this port if I bought an audio interface? The manufacturer of the chanter says an audio interface will allow the player record the chanter output on an iPad so I’m thinking this might be the solution to the chanter to CD player connection issue but I can’t afford to waste money on an audio interface if this won’t work. Any advice would be gratefully accepted, Thanks 🙏

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The usb on the Marantz is looking for a hard drive and so will not read a data stream afaik. I would look for a midi interface with monitor line outs that can plug into the cd/tuner/aux input on the amp, you may need TRS to RCA cables though, or adaptors.

Something like thsee, but I am sure thee are many more at different price points. You can also use this mics and can plug into a pc to record from it. You may need to have these plugged into a laptop to work though or a phone charger may work, worth reading the manuals first. The alternative is a 2 or 4 channel mixer with midi input and monitor out.

Last edited:

seoras

Standard Member
The usb on the Marantz is looking for a hard drive and so will not read a data stream afaik. I would look for a midi interface with monitor line outs that can plug into the cd/tuner/aux input on the amp, you may need TRS to RCA cables though, or adaptors.

Something like thsee, but I am sure thee are many more at different price points. You can also use this mics and can plug into a pc to record from it. You may need to have these plugged into a laptop to work though or a phone charger may work, worth reading the manuals first. The alternative is a 2 or 4 channel mixer with midi input and monitor out.

Thanks very much for this, I’ll have a look at some interfaces 👍

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
@RBZ5416 good spot, assuming it is one of these -

then a 3.5mm to rca cable is all you need. Who knew such a thing existed, play the bagpipes through a midi interface and make it sound like a harpsichord????

seoras

Standard Member
@RBZ5416 good spot, assuming it is one of these -

then a 3.5mm to rca cable is all you need. Who knew such a thing existed, play the bagpipes through a midi interface and make it sound like a harpsichord????
Yes, that’s my new chanter! It’s a fantastic piece of kit, I bought it as I’m a wheelchair user now and can’t blow the real thing, my neighbours are happier too! I think I have one of these cables in my cupboard somewhere so I’ll have a look for it. Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it 👍

seoras

Standard Member
Yes, that’s my new chanter! It’s a fantastic piece of kit, I bought it as I’m a wheelchair user now and can’t blow the real thing, my neighbours are happier too! I think I have one of these cables in my cupboard somewhere so I’ll have a look for it. Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it 👍
Just a quick note to say I found the cable and it’s working a treat, thanks very much for all your help. Now, back to annoying the neighbours 😉

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom