1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Play - have they got poor or what ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by j_hankey, Nov 13, 2002.

1. j_hankey

j_hankey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

My LOTR Box set has been at packing for 3 days now. I'm just of the phone from PLAY who now say that it wont be despatched until Friday and I wont in all likelihood receive the disks until next Wednesday !

Complained and asked if they would be reviewing the "packing" status policy and was told no they have simply been overloaded with too many orders. I was assured that they have the disks in stock. When I asked about cancellation I was told I couldn’t - what I could do was return the disk unopened for a refund.

My days of using Play for pre-orders are gone !:mad:

2. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yeah I ordered the us one and got it after a three day packing period same with futurama and star wars which I could have got from work sooner and cheaper I think I will see out the rest of the year then go elsewhere.

3. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I ordered the extended LOTR from Play on Monday and just checked today and it has been dispatched already. It took longer to dispatch then the other film I ordered at the same time, but I think that is because they have sent it registered. :)

4. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same as, but mine arrived this a.m. from play-registered, in a p.o. late/damaged goods bag with some dvds I only ordered sunday! (none damaged)

5. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my star wars dvd was posted sunday 3rd it still hasnt come niether has LOTR they are ignoring my emails

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Play's order tracking is to be believed, it would appear that packages posted from Hong Kong (CD-Wow) take half as much time to be delivered to your door in the UK than packages from Jersey.

Hmmm.

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Future entertainment used to be really quick. Now it takes them over 1 week. somtimes longer. that is for discs that are in stock. Whats going on???

shaun

8. j_hankey

j_hankey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've finally sent them a nice long rant - here is a copy for your entertainment

---------------------------------------------------
    I would be grateful if this could be passed on to someone senior in you management team (Customer Service Manager ??).

Since nobody bothers to reply to emails from Play (apart from a standard "someone will be in touch") I figured I would give you one last chance.

You are probably sick of hearing about us DVD enthusiasts complaining about your recent "so called" service but here is another one.

I ordered The Lord of The Rings box set back in August as a gift. Here I am after the release date and still haven't received it (neither have you sent it) yet I can walk into any decent high street retailer or e-vendor and order it (in some cases for the same price if not maybe £1 more). What's more one of my staff received their copy of the film on Tuesday so I'm thinking "fantastic Play are going to come through as usual". Funny how you can be wrong isn't it ?

So after 3 days of my order sitting at packing (funny how I cant cancel the order at this stage isn't it ?) and the money having been taken I decide to call you customer helpline. I spoke to a very friendly chap whose name I never got regrettably who when I explained my disappointment and frustration advised that "oh it might be shipped tomorrow or Friday so you should get it Tuesday or Wednesday". Fat lot of good given I needed the disk for this Sunday (thus allowing 5 days from release in order to get the disk on time). When I asked what he could do the only option I got was "buy it elsewhere and when you receive our set then send it back for a full refund". Considering the order hasn’t even left your premises this is quite frankly ridiculous. I then asked the chap about your policy of no cancellations at the processing or packing stages and whether this would be reconsidered given that it is to all intents and purposes being used as a vehicle to restrict cancellations when you are busy and was told it was unlikely (I got the feeling he didn’t understand what I was referring to). Even more ridiculous was the explanation for the delay of "we didn’t expect it to be so popular !" Really ?? So what were all these pre-ordered copies for then ? If that doesn’t allow you to gauge demand I don’t know what will. And why does the site still say "availability: In stock. Usually dispatched within 24 hours" this is a blatant lie ! At least have the courtesy to accurately portray the current situation."

Anyway here I am - bitterly disappointed (and reading most of the DVD enthusiasts forums I'm not the only one). Its been very common this week to find other customers dropping Play all together as a preferred supplier and after this experience I will be next (along with my staff, my colleagues, my friends and family and anyone I happen to come across recommending Play on the internet). I would be grateful if someone in Play to the time to respond to this email.

Yours a very disillusioned and disappointed (ex?) customer.

---------------------------------------------------

Lets see if they actually respond !:devil: :

9. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one! lets hope the message gets through. keep us informed.

shaun

10. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW

On Plays website it states. "If the cancel option is no longer available on your order, it is being proceesed and will be sent within 24 hours"

strange!!!!!!!!!!

11. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Here's a good'un.

I ordered E.T Ultimate from Play.

They sent it, I get hit by Customs for £10.61.

I open the small looking package - it turns out to be the bog standard 2-disc jobbie.

Customs hit me because PLAY marked the Customs label at £40 value even though the contents are worth £15.

:rolleyes:

Not happy because it is very likely the replacement they are sending will also get hit by customs (although they have agreed to pay this if I do get done).

12. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used Play for the first time this week , region 1 reservoir dogs and jackie brown, ordered them on monday they came today , fastest delivery ive ever had.

13. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ouch! thats gotta hurt. Ive only once been hit by customs with my very first order from movietyme years ago. Play have slipped a bit in my opinion.

14. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,498
    It seems that the lord of the rings set has caused some of you to go beserk,i am waiting for mine to arrive too,i was annoyed to see it in my local mvc for 2 pound more than play have it for and i could be watching it now instead of raw deal on the beeb....but i have to say this is the only time in over 300 orders that play have let it slip a bit.On the subject of customs i had to cancel my order for bttf with them because i to got stung with e.t.,oh well,time to watch arnie kick butt!!!!!!!!again

15. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered R1 Attack of the Clones mid October. According to my order history it was posted on 2nd November yet still hasn't arrived today (13th). I am pretty peeved, sent e-mail to them but as yet no reply, it's a shame cos they have the best site in my opinion.
    I also preordered 3no R2 James Bond dvd's which were posted (separately)between 30th October and 2nd November yet arrived 2 days after the 5th Nov release date - surely they can't blame Royal mail for this!:devil:

16. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i may have found a way around the vat problem, by using dvdconcept.com, they are based in sweeden and ship everything from there and because they are based within the EU vat guys cant touch it!. Though becasue they are in Sweeden i advise to pay the exrta £1 in postage as it speeds the order up a lot. I have used them now 10-15 times (used to be a play lover at the beggining before they got too popular and got slow) and am so far very impressed!

17. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    If they are based in Sweden how come they have a UK and Gibralter address.

18. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the return address for ET from concept was:
    s 202
    26 Mlmo
    Suede

19. j_hankey

j_hankey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update on the PLAY situation - mysteriously my LOTR shipped last night (after 8PM).

Hmmmmmmmm
    :devil:

20. silverpines

silverpines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I think you are going way over the top with your negative reaction against Play. If you sit back and analyze the situation a little you may be able to see why the last couple of weeks for them have undoubtedly been crazy.

AOTC and LOR SE are probably the two most eagerly awaited DVD releases of the year for enthusiasts - the type of people who generally use Play (I say enthusiasts as many casual buyers will undoubtedly have bought LOTR theatrical release back in August). As Play are amongst the cheapest and best known web vendor, I wouldn't mind staking a sizeable bet that their pre-orders were higher than every other internet based vendor aimed at the UK. How do they cope with the situation that these two peak items were officially released one day apart!. Do they hire more staff to cope with just a two day blip or do they try to cope? I run a mail order business and know that it is just not possible to train up staff to work efficiently for a short time scale only to lay them off a week later. The logical response, therefore, is to try and cope with the situation as best as possible with the existing staff lending all hands to pump. It is therefore little surprise that responses to e-mails are not as quick as they might be - would you prefer your order be dealt with as quickly as possible or to be further delayed in replying to impatient people expecting miracles. Naturally getting the orders out of the door must be the priority.

To some extent they were helped by what was clearly an early delivery of AOTC, most pre-orders for which were sent out well in advance of the official release date - I have not heard many complain about slow delivery of this, it is only LOTR which seems to be affected. No doubt this came in to them very close to the release date and they have been packing like crazy just to get them out - this probably explains the long delay in changing from Packing status to Posted. Couple this with an increase in volume of post in the run up to Christmas and you can see why the delays start occuring.

The customs issue is really not their fault - if you order a region 1 DVD with a value over £18 then technically you are liable to pay duty on it whether you like it or not. Region 2 DVDs shouldn't attract VAT and every package I have had from Play with these states on it UK Import VAT Paid. So if you order a Region 1 DVD, then this is a risk you take. You really should be charged every time and it is only the inefficiency of Customs and Excise that allows a large proportion of these items through without charge. Obviously it is shame when a misdeclaration occurs and then you have a good reason to complain (and possibly grounds to ask for compensation). If you want Play to operate from inside the EU avoiding you paying the import duty, then Region 1 DVDs will, undoubtedly, be more expensive as they will have to pay the import duty for you and will include this in their pricing.

I suspect that once this little blip is over, Play will get back to their normal, efficient selves. To expect to be able to receive a DVD in less than 3 or 4 days from ordering is really unrealistic, if you still want really competitive prices. Although I haven't ordered 300 times from them like some of you, the orders I have placed have always arrived within 7 or 8 days, a timescale I am prepared to accept to get the DVDs at a very good price, enabling me to build a collection faster than I would otherwise be able to afford. My LOTR SE arrived yesterday, one day after the Official Release date I am more than happy with this.

I would suggest that this is not a good instance on which to judge Play. I would suggest you give them another chance and, if they don't get back to a relaistic delivery schedule in the next few weeks, then by all means try another supplier, but remember, if others suddenly get the volume of orders that Play get, they will probably struggle as well.

21. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I agree with Silverpines.....

Sometimes I have had to wait for discs from play, it never bothers me that much as I getting them cheap. However, although annoying it is understandable that there might be a delay in pre-orders because you have ordered one of the most popular DVD releases ever, from one of the most popular online ordering sites.

22. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silverpines does have things pretty much correct. I think that most of the people complaining about Play on here are merely venting frustrations at not having a disc they've been so expecting rather than truly suggesting a Play boycott or something. I guess these forums present the perfect medium for getting things off your chest.

I've mentioned before the impossible task that etailers face... if you provide a next day/ultra quick service at the outset, you get busy and become successful. When that happens, it becomes much harder to offer the same, highy proficient service so you find yourself having raised customer expectation to an (in some ways) un-natural level which they then comes to expect as standard.

Tricky.

23. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just also add that people are blaming Play for disk's to take so long to come, when as we all know blame could very possible lay at the feet of the post office/ royal mail. :)

24. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had exactly the same problem with Play back in May for the Harry Potter release.....
    Nowadays if I want something on the day of release I just go to ASDA or CostCo - costs about £1-2 more but at least I have them to watch on the day of release and don't have to worry about damaged boxes - especially on Collectors Edition stuff!

I also think PLAY are a victim of their own success (and cheapness) and are struggling to keep on top of orders so when I do order from them I make sure it is
    a] a bargain
    b] not something I desparately want to see

Cheers
    Les

25. I am maximus

I am maximus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,
    I do agree that generally they ie.play are a victim of their own sucess regarding deliveries etc,also I am partly to blame for recommending them to people also.I have waited and waited for play to ship my LOTR 5 disc box set for the last two days in frustration I have been peering out of the window waiting for my very good post lady to arrive but no discs when it was shipped on 7/11 I guess I began thinking that Play were slipping but on a longshot I went to the local sorting office just round the corner and said "you havent got a parcel waiting for me to pay some import duty have you as a long shot" oh yes he goes its been here two days waitng for collection you should have had a note through the door aaararrrrrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!! So I guess the moral for me is to be more patient with play and check your post office locally to make sure the same thing doesnt happen to you ,having previously dealt with slow delivery times from Amazon and appalling customer service from Movietyme I am going to stick with play.All the best I am maximus LOTR 5 disc owner

26. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've got no complaints with the service offered by Play. I think they are without question the best provider of dvd's and music on the internet.

They posted my AOTC on Sat 2nd November - it arrived 7am on Monday 4th November. Not bad really.

Yeah, the odd disc may take a few days longer than that, but if it is in stock at the time of ordering I rarely wait longer than 4 days.

I'm sure leading up to Xmas it may take a little longer due to increased volume- we'll just have to see.

27. j_hankey

j_hankey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally got a proper response from Play this morning and in the interests of fairness thought I would post the conversation (most recent update first). While Im still not happy I somewhat more forgiving given that they have had the courtesy to respond. I have removed Debbies email address to avoid her getting spammed !

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear

Thank you for your response. I do appreciate your concerns and customer feedback is essential to our continual development.

I can understand that it is frustrating to be unable to choose to cancel and order once it has gone through to the processing stage. In most cases. this should not take longer than 24 hours therefore it has not been necessary to have the cancellation option. However, it is apparent that due to the delays in this instance this would have been a valuable option.

Due to the delays in dispatching the Lord of The Rings gift set I understand there may be plans to email customers in future if we do expect items to be shipped slightly later than the usual 24 hours. I appreciate that in your case this does help but please be assured that we can learn from this experience and we will improve our service on this basis.

I hope this has gone someway to answering your questions. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Thank you for your valued custom.

Kind Regards
    Debbie Miller
    Deputy Customer Service Manager
    PLAY

-----Original Message-----

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Since I have been in touch by telephone etc my order was despatched yesterday. I'm hoping it turns up tomorrow but I wont hold my breath :)

I think the main frustration for both myself and the online community as a whole has been two fold. Firstly we have had this title on pre order for several months. Not to have it despatched on the day of release is a bit of a let down given the previously excellent track record of Play. Then to find out that the disks don't appear to be getting shipped in a chronological order added insult to injury e.g. An August preorder shipping after a November pre-order.

Secondly is the issue of the various order statuses. I appreciate that there has to be a cut off when customers cannot cancel their order however a 3 day window after the release date where an order is processing / packaging is not acceptable. Had I been able to I would have cancelled my order and bought my order off the shelf - accepting the higher price for the convenience of receiving my order when I needed it. Can I suggest that Play consider that customer perception is now that the processing / packaging statuses are being used as a delay tactic when you are busy. I understand that sometimes there are delays
    - may I suggest that in future you email customers (particularly preorder customers) and advise on the reasons for the delays and allow them the opportunity to cancel their order should they be unable to wait on the delays ? And why does the product page still advise "ships within 24 hours" ?

Once again thank you for taking the time to email me (I have calmed down a bit now !). I appreciate that now the order has dispatched that there is nothing else you can do regarding this however I would appreciate a response to my other points / questions.

Sincerely

-----Original Message-----

Thankyou for your email. Please accept my personal apologies for the problems we have encountered in dispatching your pre-order of The Lord of the Rings boxset.

We are aware that many items have been delayed in dispatch and we are working very hard to have your items dispatched as soon as possible. Unfortunatley I am unable to access your account details with the information you have provided. Therefore I cannot say at what stage your order is at the moment.

If you would like to send me your email log on I shall get back to you with the latest status of this order.

Once again, please accept my apologies for any disappointment.

If you have any further queries please contact us on 08458001020.

Kind Regards
    Debbie Miller
    Deputy Customer Service Manager
    Play

:devil:

28. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let's see how their service is this xmas - because the past 2 have been poor. Perhaps its lack of staff...?? I think 2 xmas' ago they moved the r1 operation to Belgium...it would have be nice to have been emailed explaining why delays were happening at that time. I don't think they realise how easy customers can get annoyed AND switch to another supplier !!!

29. shauny1

shauny1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i ordered 3 dvds on the computer monday am - all 3 arrived wednesday now that seems ok by me

30. hdrees

hdrees
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well my faith in Play is now completly gone. Star Wars AOTL Posted on 02/11/2002 still has not come, LOTR EE posted Posted on 07/11/2002 NEITHER of them has arrived, though i noticed something interesting old the packaging them come in R1 DVD's come from Brussels, while R2 dvds come from Jersey, possibly a problem over that side. Anyone else waiting or am i cursed?