Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Play H.265 codec videos thru portable drives

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by spidey007, May 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. spidey007

spidey007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My apologies if I offend some techies with my lack of knowledge about H.265 videos.

I understand the H.265 codec video have the best compression and the future. My portable drives where I store my media refuse to play these new videos. The Blu ray player to which I connect the drive or the WD media player say 'video not compatible'.

Is there any way round this problem ... like saving a codec somewhere or something else? I tried saving a copy of the portable VLC player on the drives but it didn't do much!
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Simon

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,234
    If your portable drives are just drives then they have no effect on the playback, it'll be whatever they're plugged into that determines whether the files can be played.

In terms of loading a program onto the blu-ray player and media player box you'd need to look for stuff specific to them. Check for software updates and if they provide an app store then look through that.

There's a good chance they won't have the CPU power to play back HEVC though, as it's quite a bit more demanding than H.264 and a lower price sells more boxes than spare CPU power.

3. tinrib

tinrib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Possibly the file format as well, some players will only play certain types of files, like mp4, avi, mov etc so will need to find out what formats are compatible with your bluray player.

I plug my hardrive into tv via usb and most films play ok but some have compatibility issues as the tv doesnt like the format.