Play-Fi DTS

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

Just wondering if anybody has managed to get this working without constant drop outs and app crashes? Just interested although I typically use a Node 2i that I got because Play-Fi was so terrible. I have it on my Quad Vena 2 Play but it’s garbage, even since the latest upgrade.

Cebolla

An earlier update to DTS Play-Fi devices' firmware, version 5.2, provided a UPnP/DLNA renderer (aka DLNA Digital Media Renderer - DMR) as a 'bonus feature' workaround for those wanting to avoid the major design flaw of the audio always having to pass through the Play-Fi app as the middle-man.

So the Quad Vena II Play should double up as a bog standard UPnP/DLNA streamer and therefore be able to be controlled by a decent UPnP/DLNA controller app, such as BubbleUPnP (Android only, unlicensed version is free) and mconnect Player (Android or iOS, Lite version is free), instead of the Play-Fi app. Have you tried using the Vena II as a UPnP/DLNA streamer?

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

An earlier update to DTS Play-Fi devices' firmware, version 5.2, provided a UPnP/DLNA renderer (aka DLNA Digital Media Renderer - DMR) as a 'bonus feature' workaround for those wanting to avoid the major design flaw of the audio always having to pass through the Play-Fi app as the middle-man.

So the Quad Vena II Play should double up as a bog standard UPnP/DLNA streamer and therefore be able to be controlled by a decent UPnP/DLNA controller app, such as BubbleUPnP (Android only, unlicensed version is free) and mconnect Player (Android or iOS, Lite version is free), instead of the Play-Fi app. Have you tried using the Vena II as a UPnP/DLNA streamer?
Not tried it yet no. So can it be used to stream Qobuz etc?

Cebolla

Yes it should, but only Qobuz and TIDAL, as those are the only online music streaming services currently supported by BubbleUPnP (and mconnect Player).

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

Yes it should, but only Qobuz and TIDAL, as those are the only online music streaming services currently supported by BubbleUPnP (and mconnect Player).
Thanks. I’ll have a look. Just testing as I have a Node 2i for streaming now but would be good if it works.

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

Perhaps a silly question but would you expect there to be a sound quality difference between the Node 2i as a source and direct from the Vena? it’s all the same DAC but with the difference of using the Node + Coaxial so just curious.

Cebolla

I certainly wouldn't expect any sound quality differences if playing the same audio files, apart from MQA encoded PCM files that is. The MQA supporting Node would be able to decode them to the MQA Core signal (aka 'first unfold) & send the signal via its coaxial output; the Vena not processing the necessary MQA decoder would produce a lower quality audio from them.

Of course this is an issue only if you choose to use the TIDAL MQA streaming service or play your own MQA files - in which case you really ought to be using MQA hardware, like the Node.

ItsNotAllSnakeOil

I certainly wouldn't expect any sound quality differences if playing the same audio files, apart from MQA encoded PCM files that is. The MQA supporting Node would be able to decode them to the MQA Core signal (aka 'first unfold) & send the signal via its coaxial output; the Vena not processing the necessary MQA decoder would produce a lower quality audio from them.

Of course this is an issue only if you choose to use the TIDAL MQA streaming service or play your own MQA files - in which case you really ought to be using MQA hardware, like the Node.
Yeah I have tried MQA and not a real fan of it. I was using the Node to unfold too as the Vena doesn't support it. I prefer Qobuz so MQA not an issue for me now.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom